Kes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kes Reviews

½ July 6, 2016
WHY DON'T WE MAKE MOVIES LIKE THIS ANYMORE???
½ April 10, 2016
Extremely well acted film about british adoscelent, his routines and relationships with other people.
½ April 7, 2016
Classic British cinema. Dirty cinematography and unforgettable performances with real and well directed dialogue.
½ April 6, 2016
A slightly slower pace but wonderfully genuine. I appreciate the message being told without cinematics about a working class boy who is seen as forgotten and among many others that will live the same fate. I personally had a connection with this film and this is another example of how different the approach to european and american movie storytelling is, and I'm beginning to appreciate a less theatric one in turn for a more authentic feeling one.
February 25, 2016
British film at it's finest! A must watch, a story about a kid who literally has almost nothing. And the ending is a true heart breaker too.
November 19, 2015
The exhilaration of learning and teaching, be it in school life or in the training of a wild kestrel, has rarely been captured more shrewdly or appealingly.
November 9, 2015
Such a poweful and beautiful film. Arguably Loach's finest. The late great Brian Glover is such a cunt as the PE teacher. David Bradley is unbelievable as young Billy. The ending is a right kick in the jaffas.
½ October 22, 2015
Beautiful, goddammit. Had me bawling like a baby
August 26, 2015
An achingly beautiful tale. The bucolic music and the landscapes wandered by the formidable protagonist child and his trained kestrel, embellish the cold and austere north of England. The child's tender look upon the bird is that of yearning, of high spirit and care free mind, far beyond the predicaments of acceptance raised in his school and in his own home. Its gritty, unapologetic and sometimes despairing naturalism hits delicate fibres.
½ July 22, 2015
I'm British and even I had difficulty telling what the characters were saying
July 2, 2015
Sad movie about a young boy (Billy Casper) whose is abused both at school and at home, and appears headed to a dead-end life. He finds a kestral and finds contentment raising and training the young hawk. However, this movie does not end happily. It was filmed in 1969 with Ken Loach as the director. He worked with local townspeople in the coal town of Barnsley.
April 23, 2015
Classic British film is one of the finest coming-of-age films ever made. Ken Loach's unfussy filmmaking is perfect for the film's grounded theme of misspent youth, and allows star David Bradley to deliver what might be the best child performance of his generation. A 60s film thats influence can be felt in recent triumphs such as Rat Catcher and The Kid With the Bike, yet Kes is still a more poetic film than any of it's forebears. For that reason, the film is timeless.
March 28, 2015
I can't believe I was a teenager when I last watched this - I still squirmed in the same places. Brilliant.
David Bradley from Kes joined Equity as Dai Bradley - he is not the same David Bradley who played Argus Filch in Harry Potter as shown in cast list on Rotten Tomatoes
December 20, 2014
A truly endearing film by Ken Loach. The story is heartbreakingly beautiful and serves as a realistic window into the culture of northern England. Beautifully made film and one of my personal favorites.
½ September 22, 2014
Not only Kes is buried at the end, but also Casper's hope and childhood. Few English directors are aware of the grassroots' life like Ken Loach, who adopts an endearing yet ruthless narrative to portray the real ordinary British's circumstances.
½ September 15, 2014
I have seen many a good film, and many a bad, but Kes...Kes is one of those special films. The phrase "I would rather watch paint dry" is thrown around often. But clearly nobody actually means it: just having something moving on a screen is more entertaining than watching a wall with paint dry on it. But in this case, i really, truly, literally would have been more entertained watching a paint covered wall dry out. There wouldn't even necessarily need to be paint on it for god's sake!
I really can not express my complete loathing for this film; the way I wince at the thought of re-watching it, or my depression at reflecting on how i missed out on nearly 2 hours of perfectly good paint watching time.
The acting coupled with accents (this coming from a british person) is reminiscent of watching a nursery play. Where someones irritating car alarm goes off during. The characters were totally unlikeable. In fact, they bored me near to actual tears, and I could not have cared less if one of the cardboard cut-outs of real people had died in the film. I can not see why this film is so highly rated! There are a few things I hate - such as racists, paedophiles, etc.- and Kes is one of them (though not nearly to the same degree) and it is for this reason that i believe Kes, to be, without a shadow of the doubt, the worst film I and my peers, have ever had the misfortune of watching! What you need before Kes, is to slip in to something more comfortable, like, say, a COMA.
Or at least, that's what I got from it. But if your interested, knock yourself out! Literally.
September 7, 2014
The most pissed off film about a boy and his bird and the working-class town they inhabit.