Kes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kes Reviews

November 4, 2016
Typical Ken Loach film that has all the usual attributes seen from his work over the years.
1. A grimy northern England working class location. Check. Barnsley, Yorkshire.
2. A cast littered with UK stars from television. Check. Lynne Perrie (Ivy Tildsley off Coronation Street in the 1970s and 80s, Harry Cross off Brookside and the late ex wrestler Brian Glover in a great role as the school PE teacher.
3. A rather left wing view of working class Britain. Although the film was made in 1969 and is very dated now. Thirty forty years or more.
The film uses its cinematography and costume to add to the grimy feeling of the town.
There are some memorable scenes mainly centred in the local school. In particular the Man Utd v Spurs match enacted on the school playing field and the caning of an innocent kid in the headmasters office.
If tha wants a reet gud neet instead o watchint rubbish on telly get thi sen watchint this.
½ July 6, 2016
WHY DON'T WE MAKE MOVIES LIKE THIS ANYMORE???
½ April 10, 2016
Extremely well acted film about british adoscelent, his routines and relationships with other people.
½ April 7, 2016
Classic British cinema. Dirty cinematography and unforgettable performances with real and well directed dialogue.
½ April 6, 2016
A slightly slower pace but wonderfully genuine. I appreciate the message being told without cinematics about a working class boy who is seen as forgotten and among many others that will live the same fate. I personally had a connection with this film and this is another example of how different the approach to european and american movie storytelling is, and I'm beginning to appreciate a less theatric one in turn for a more authentic feeling one.
February 25, 2016
British film at it's finest! A must watch, a story about a kid who literally has almost nothing. And the ending is a true heart breaker too.
November 19, 2015
The exhilaration of learning and teaching, be it in school life or in the training of a wild kestrel, has rarely been captured more shrewdly or appealingly.
November 9, 2015
Such a poweful and beautiful film. Arguably Loach's finest. The late great Brian Glover is such a cunt as the PE teacher. David Bradley is unbelievable as young Billy. The ending is a right kick in the jaffas.
½ October 22, 2015
Beautiful, goddammit. Had me bawling like a baby
August 26, 2015
An achingly beautiful tale. The bucolic music and the landscapes wandered by the formidable protagonist child and his trained kestrel, embellish the cold and austere north of England. The child's tender look upon the bird is that of yearning, of high spirit and care free mind, far beyond the predicaments of acceptance raised in his school and in his own home. Its gritty, unapologetic and sometimes despairing naturalism hits delicate fibres.
½ July 22, 2015
I'm British and even I had difficulty telling what the characters were saying
July 2, 2015
Sad movie about a young boy (Billy Casper) whose is abused both at school and at home, and appears headed to a dead-end life. He finds a kestral and finds contentment raising and training the young hawk. However, this movie does not end happily. It was filmed in 1969 with Ken Loach as the director. He worked with local townspeople in the coal town of Barnsley.
April 23, 2015
Classic British film is one of the finest coming-of-age films ever made. Ken Loach's unfussy filmmaking is perfect for the film's grounded theme of misspent youth, and allows star David Bradley to deliver what might be the best child performance of his generation. A 60s film thats influence can be felt in recent triumphs such as Rat Catcher and The Kid With the Bike, yet Kes is still a more poetic film than any of it's forebears. For that reason, the film is timeless.
March 28, 2015
I can't believe I was a teenager when I last watched this - I still squirmed in the same places. Brilliant.
David Bradley from Kes joined Equity as Dai Bradley - he is not the same David Bradley who played Argus Filch in Harry Potter as shown in cast list on Rotten Tomatoes
December 20, 2014
A truly endearing film by Ken Loach. The story is heartbreakingly beautiful and serves as a realistic window into the culture of northern England. Beautifully made film and one of my personal favorites.
½ September 22, 2014
Not only Kes is buried at the end, but also Casper's hope and childhood. Few English directors are aware of the grassroots' life like Ken Loach, who adopts an endearing yet ruthless narrative to portray the real ordinary British's circumstances.