Kiki Reviews

• Aug 25, 2017

A solid doc, mostly tragic stories about black gay men and trans folks. Worth knowing about. I thought drag balls like those in "Paris is Burning" were a thing of the past, but I was wrong.

• Jun 19, 2017

This film left me wanting SO MUCH more. I appreciated that the filmmakers were highlighting a group that is largely ignored and misrepresented. We NEED these stories to be told! However, they didn't truly TELL US their stories; they merely scratched the surface. I had such high hopes for this film in that it would hopefully give us a ground breaking modern and new take on Paris Is Burning. Unfortunately it didn't even come close to accomplishing that. Fantastic subjects and material, just poorly comprised and executed.

• Jun 04, 2017

The younger, Millennial sister of Paris is Burning. This documentary tackles stories of the LGBT youth-in-color in the voguing scene. Although its predecessor was filmed in 1990, it's surprising to see that nothing much has changed - for better and for worse.

• Mar 02, 2017

Overall: Positive (Worth Seeing) Kiki is a film which pursues being straight forward with you. There is a deep desire for you to connect to these people and recognize their humanity. Not through one sob story after another, but just recognizing they are deserving. That they have fears, laugh and cry, and being queer or trans isn't their entire life or story. It is a small part that for some reason is treated like a huge deal. So they hope and fight for a time when it isn't. For they recognize that their culture, their people, they can't survive if the nation and the world remains indifferent or oblivious. So they, while perhaps uncomfortable, they speak out to you in hopes you may change things in your own way. No matter how small.

• Jul 15, 2016

Saw at Outfest LA, enjoyed it. Moved by the struggles these young people have lived through and the empowering community they have together.

• Jun 24, 2016

It's rather boring, but Kiki showcases a unique culture with energy that seems aimless until the final 30 minutes.

• Jun 19, 2016

Kiki ballroom - a dance style predominantly invented and performed by LGBTQ people of colour in New York - looks like voguing, minus the pauses in between, plus throwing yourself on the floor really hard. There are also optional carnivalesque costumes. The film gradually and skilfully pulls back from this exuberant display to reveal the surprisingly formal community organisation and activism that backs it up. Interesting and inspiring.