Kinky Boots - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kinky Boots Reviews

August 12, 2016
Excellent movie. Must see!! Funny and heartfelt with a beautiful message.
July 7, 2016
How is this movie only getting a 74 percent from audiences? It's a great, fun and life telling story. Great actors...etc. Glad I watched. Want to see the Broadway show now!
½ June 9, 2016
It's okay. Weird. But okay.
February 25, 2016
Kind of charming. Kind of boring. Worth it for Chiwetel Ejiofor, though.
½ January 1, 2016
Only noteworthy aspect is Chiwetel Ejiofor's performance as the vibrant and heartfelt Lola in what is an otherwise bland British comedy. I imagine the kinkiness is better served in the musical play.
September 20, 2015
I love this movie. A beautiful story. Excellent acting. Would have liked to watch another 45 minutes to really allow all of the characters to develop. This is a movie that everyone can watch and that pleases me greatly.
September 5, 2015
Fabulous preparation for the musical!
August 31, 2015
The Brits are the best at this sort of entertaining fluff that doesn't really go as deep as it could or, in some cases, should. The use of the word fluff might seem like an insult, but I really don't mean it that way honestly. Because, and there have been some cases, it's usually really rare for me to dislike movies like this. I just think the British just do a better job at presenting this type of film in an entertaining fashion than the Americans do, but that's just me. Love, Actually comes to mind instantly as something that's super light and fluffy, but it's actually a real good movie on top of that as well. I'm not suggesting that this even comes close to how great Love, Actually was, but the style, not the structure, is certainly similar. With that out of the way, I will say that this movie is pretty much exactly what you would expect it to be. A transvestite finds himself working in a shoe factory to help keep it afloat for his new friend. Seeing that the shoe factory itself is in one of those small, simple towns then you can pretty much expect to see some 'fish out of water' stuff, like how they adjust to Lola being a transvestite and how they treat him at first. You can see where this is going. Respect is earned and people become a little more tolerant to others' differences as opposed to hating them for it. Again, this is a movie that you've seen before, countless times, and you will see again, countless times. But, as I mentioned, the film more than makes up for it in spirit, energy and an excellent performance from Chiwetel Ejiofor. I mean, this guy is so fucking great. And I don't mean just in this movie, even though he is great here, I just mean in general. This guy is a fantastic actor and I honestly wish that his character here would've been developed more than he was. It's like they hint at a very difficult childhood and relationship with his father, but they only show bits and pieces of it. I suppose since it, most likely, would've been a downer when compared to the rest of the film, then they just left it out, to keep the film at a lighter tone. In its place there's the obvious down part of the film where Charlie pushes Lola away due to his Charlie's own personal problems at the time. Again, just the usual stuff. I just think that the film really wastes an opportunity to tell a deeper and more emotionally resonant arc with Lola/Simon. It might have been cliched and predictable and maybe even sentimental, but it would've offered up some insight into the film's most interesting character. It is what it is, but I cannot complain about the cast of the film. Chiwetel and Joel are both great, but Chiwetel, clearly, steals the show. That's about it really, I got nothing else to say. It's an easy film to watch, it could have been worse, but I'm not gonna complain because I definitely had a good time watching. It's not what I would call particularly deep or complex, but it's a good movie nonetheless. Solid Netflix watch, at best.
August 17, 2015
Entertaining? yes, formulaic? totally, kinky? In no way.
July 25, 2015
Fun and bighearted but it never truly capitalizes on its premise; often playing things too safely.
April 19, 2015
In the tradition of Billy Elliott & Toast. Great performances and message.
½ February 25, 2015
Really charming movie. Had a great message without being cheesy. Chiwetel Ejiofor was amazing and the music so fun
½ December 17, 2014
Although Chiwetel Ejiofor absolutely ROCKS as the drag queen, this is not the Broadway show-version of the story -- a rather tame, tepid version instead.
October 20, 2014
I forgot how good this was. Its a touching tale of a factory that has to turn to making drag queen shoes to survive. Same vein as Full Monty and Pride. Nice to see Ejofor in an early role. Hoping we get the musical here at some point - Lauper wrote the songs
September 24, 2014
Chiwetel Ejiofor is brilliant, just brilliant in this movie
September 14, 2014
An inspiring drama based on a true story, Kinky Boots tells the story of a man who turns to a drag queen to help save his shoe factory. It's fun, interesting, and a great story.
½ September 10, 2014
The premise of the film isn't all that hilarious as it's about a shoe factory in England that's restructuring. Sure, the adage of a drag queen business partner and emissary doesn't hurt, especially when they're played by Chiwetel Ejiofor. Ejiofor can sing, he can dance, and he really pulls off the character of Lola, a smart, funny, and lovable queen from London who helps a down and out shoe factory owner start making heels for men. The best parts have Lola in them, and without her this film would not be interesting. All the supporting characters are droll, as well as our lead character Charlie (Edgerton). Charlie's0 life seems inconsequential to the rest of the film, including his entire romantic relationship with Lauren (Potts), not helped by his slack jawed expression. When there are heels and divas onscreen it's a good time, which is why this film prompted a Broadway musical to boot.
August 30, 2014
Story telling could be stronger, overall an enjoyable movie if a little formulaic. Heartfelt performances.
½ August 12, 2014
Despite having the word "kinky" in its title, "Kinky Boots" is surprisingly without much edge - after all, it's PG-13, and desperate not to offend anyone. While I wish the film would have been a little more Baz Luhrmann and a little less Garry Marshall, nevertheless it's a joyous romp that features a fearless performance from Chiwetel Ejiofor. The stage play that stole Broadway last year might already be more famous than the movie it was based upon, but comedy movies from across the pond are never uninteresting.
All his life, Charlie Price (Joel Edgerton) has been surrounded by shoes: his father owns a Northampton shoe company whose speciality is to make old-fashioned but well-made shoes for men. But when he dies, the business noticeably isn't doing very well.
Charlie is then forced to sack loads of workers, until one of his employees, Lauren (Sarah-Jane Potts), suggests that Charlie change the ways of the company he has grown up with. Instead of staying with a formula that has gone out of style, why not do something radical and exciting?
Through a chance encounter, Charlie meets Lola (Ejiofor), a supremely confident drag queen cabaret star who has noticeably stylish shoes - and in response, both people hatch an idea. Lola wants a pair of high heels that can carry the weight of her muscular stature; Charlie sees her perform and witnesses an entire demographic of possible customers.
A partnership blossoms between the two, and in return, the shoe company goes from straight-laced to radical, as Oxfords turn into two-feet high red boots. But can Charlie's low self-esteem handle always been stared at whenever he's with his new business partner?
The plot somehow feels formulaic, nearly sitcom ready. But it isn't the plot that makes the film what it is: it's 100% Ejiofor, whose performance holds no stereotypes. Throughout every wig transformation and sassy comeback, he is thoroughly Lola, and when he takes off his costume for the sake of Charlie, there is a vulnerable there that we didn't even know existed. Ejiofor can be comical, but he is also devastatingly committed to a role most actors would butcher.
As for the rest of "Kinky Boots", there is a bit too much seriousness on display, and it's obvious that the attitude of "The Rocky Horror Picture Show" might have helped it be the insane film it could have been. Yet, there are enough memorable moments and bits of feel-good cinema to give it substance.