Kung Fu Panda 2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Kung Fu Panda 2 Reviews

April 14, 2018
In this high flying, hard-hitting sequel to the original Kung Fu Panda, we are introduced to a far darker narrative, even more Kung Fu awesomeness, and several meaningful revelations about Po's until now, very secretive past. All of which is brilliantly topped of with Gary Oldman providing the voice of the compelling and equally sadistic Lord Shen. Unfortunately though, the movie does have it's rather small, but nonetheless significant flaws.
The first one being, the fact that it is far to reliant on it's almost constant sequences of action and conflict. And the second one being: the ever-present and unforgettable humor of the first Kung Fu Panda has been immensely negated into little more than a relevant side note.
April 1, 2018
This sequel still had its moments, but was sadly a letdown to this amazing franchise.
½ March 18, 2018
I did not expect it to like a Dreamworks sequel more than the original movie but here we are. "Kung Fu Panda 2" is such a mature piece of entertainment. It was as fun as the first one,though it had less silly moments and many artistic ones. It's a sequel that enriches the story of the original and one that has a good plot for a change. I am so positively impressed by this movie! I'm beginning to love this "Kung Fu Panda" franchise.
March 17, 2018
Easily one of my personal favourite movies of all time let alone dream works movie.For me this is better than zootopia.
March 9, 2018
I found it a little better than the first one
February 8, 2018
It is pretty fun to watch. The healing and discovering part was very touching, then the cool battle scene came up.
January 20, 2018
I think that Kung Fu Panda 2 is the only movie which could make such a ominous peacock. The villain is for sure the best part of it. It has everything what made you love the first part and more
½ December 27, 2017
A rare sequel that is exactly as good as the first.
½ December 20, 2017
It has a perfect balance of intensity an humor, but it hasn't really grasped the concept of keeping the sadness away from peoples actually feelings. When I saw it there was a part when Po was adopted, and it made me think if I was adopted. I would have been better without it.
½ December 12, 2017
Fun to watch with my 10-year-old bro for sure! The only part I hated was how dumb the panda was in asking for the truth from his enemy. Like, really?
½ December 4, 2017
I really do like this movie, but the reason I'm giving it 2 1/2 stars is because some of the flashbacks about Baby Po, his parents and the panda village being destroyed is so sad, it makes me want to cry a little bit. And I understand that Po has to find out who he is, I really do. Some of the parts were interesting, some of the other parts were funny, but the only parts I keep thinking about were the sad parts and that just ruined my entire life.

P.S. I'm sorry about what I wrote in that post. This is legitimately my first time doing it.
½ November 19, 2017
Who would have expected Kung Fu Panda to become a surprising, heartwarming summer hit back in 2008, where I thought it had captured the very essence of a typical martial arts film, and distilled it into an animated piece appealing both to kids and adults alike. The big risk involved is of course coming up with the inevitable follow up film given the profits that it had raked in, that won't be an insult to its fans, and yet maintaining that same level of appeal the original had. Kung Fu Panda 2 succeeded.

Although it certainly did seem that passing the reins over to rookie director Jennifer Yuh was bewildering, but Yuh turned out to be perfect in guiding the sequel and the beloved characters in yet another adventure, with bigger set action pieces, touching dramatic moments, and retaining plenty of humour from the get go. Credit of course must go to writers Jonathan Aibel and Glenn Berger in coming up with a natural progression of the story of Po (Jack Black), and filling it with a lot more elements from classic martial arts film formulas such as a jail break involving skilled pugilists in captivity, a pagoda, getting beat down, recovery and recuperation, and the learning of a new, ultimate skill. To think that the worries came from the scribes being responsible for the snooze-fest Monsters Vs Aliens, and Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Squeakquel.

Kung Fu Panda 2 brings back the A-list voices of Black as Po the Panda, now very much comfortable in his celebrity role of the prophesied Dragon Warrior, and the Furious Five consisting of Angelina Jolie as the no-nonsense, hard hitting Tigress, Seth Rogen as the wisecracking Mantis, David Cross as Crane, Lucy Liu as Viper and the underused Jackie Chan as Monkey, recognizable animals used in distinctive martial arts boxing styles. Also returning are Dustin Hoffman as Master Shifu and James Hong as Mr Ping, while joining the fray are Gary Oldman as the chief villain Lord Shen the vain peacock, Michelle Yeoh as The Soothsayer, Jean-Claude Van Damme as Master Croc, Dennis Haysbert as Master Oxen and Victor garber as Master Thundering Rhino, the latter three forming some formidable masters of kung fu whose city they're protecting falls under siege.

The story continues to loosely adopt from historical developments in China, with the premise being set during the time when gunpowder was discovered and fireworks created, but with the more sinister use of the material also for the creation of weapons such as the cannon, threatening the extinction of martial arts with its formidable firepower. Lord Shen becomes fanatical in plundering metal from the land with the ambition to rule all of China, but for his Soothsayer to predict his downfall to come from something black and white, hence his dogged massacre of pandas with his wolf pack goons, before setting his sights on and signaling his diabolical intent on some legendary martial arts masters.

It's pretty amazing how this under 90 minute film also managed to squeeze in plenty of pathos in the form of Po having to unlock his repressed memory of being necessarily abandoned by his parents following a pattern ala Moses with the pandas being threatened with forced extinction, which provides tons of baby panda to milk some scheming, crafty moments to tug at your heartstrings, and you can hear that audible gasps of "oh so cute"s from female members of the audiences. Well done, if the studio decides to make money from merchandising. Narratively it's pretty predictable following the generic essence of typical kung fu film classics, what with the learning of inner peace and new skills involved that resembled very much like Taichi-quan, but what mattered of course is the delivery that hit expectations, and not buckle under that same weight brought over from a successful first film.

Then of course there's the spectacular fight sequences, especially when Po and the Fearsome Five combine to protect the innocent masses against hordes of enemies that come with the requisite comedy, from slapstick to lyrical, like poetry in motion when they showcase their respective, distinctive moves. Big action set pieces are well designed, and I give my thumbs up to how the villain is modelled after the peacock, which in itself brings about the theme of vanity that almost all villains possess, but in the context of kung fu, it's extremely smart to design Lord Shen to move and utilize his own innate weaponry, that of sneaky darts and fans - a weapon that in Chinese martial arts film, is the weapon of choice of the "wei jun zi" - the "fake gentleman" (sorry if my interpretation sucks, but you get my drift).

No qualms about this installment, I would put it in my highly recommended list as a sequel that didn't forget about the spirit of the original, and if the filmmakers can continue to capture exactly what makes martial arts movies tick and distill it like it did for the first two films, I dare say we're in for a mighty strong franchise that will appeal to kids, and every kung fu film fan out there who will probably go nuts at how well this animated series managed to get the formula right.
½ November 12, 2017
Good movie and The panda looks like Adrian but adrian is bigger fatter he ate him
November 10, 2017
(5.0 out of 6)
When we see others challenge our power but they are no match for what we have in store for them. When we don't see it's power what defeats us, but our focus is drawn away from our fight that makes us lose. When what we have no power over is the past when we don't hold the secrets to it. When we see what others hold that not even Kung Fu has power over we see some powers can defeat us when it's unnatural. When we see they hold other powers when it's the secret to our past we wish to know. When other great powers are helpless when greater powers can be used to harm others we wish to protect that others are disabled. When we don't see powers are not always necessary to fight our battles we use our tricks and disguises. When we see that powers can always change sides when one side proves to be more loyal to our inner ambitions when no one sees our power as part of our peaceful society. When what others don't want we use to our advantage when inner peace has power you might not unlock when you don't channel it's power when you can harness it when you have the touch. When we see working as a team we have a greater power over our enemies, even when we need a boost to make us see what is important that is worth saving, family. When we see the greatest power we have to thank are those that have us nurturing when others couldn't do so. When some power we have yet to unlock is that of a parent when we sense the presence of our own to know the power is longer and stronger then we see.
½ November 2, 2017
Kung Fu Panda 2: While its storyarc is familar with fans of the original, Kung Fu Panda 2 is darker, more mature and as fun if not better than the original.
September 22, 2017
It's a solid animated sequel, filled with action, humor, and a surprisingly amount of depth in character, emotion, and the characters' development than expected. It's one of those rare sequels that can surpass their first.
August 18, 2017
I see it And it was Amazing outstanding Best movies ever!
August 14, 2017
Though a bit lower on the humor, Kung Fu Panda 2 is very action-packed and has my recommendation.
½ August 13, 2017
This movie didn't bring as many laughs as the first one did, but the story had a bit more meat and a darker tone to it. It looked great and is a very solid entry, I just think that the jokes failed to hit as hard as I had hoped for. It is still worth watching with the kids, though!
July 24, 2017
The storyline is sadly predictable, but the martial arts, animation and cheerful characters still charm.