The Double Hour - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Double Hour Reviews

November 5, 2015
The third-act twist is just a huge middle-finger to the audience. "We couldn't think of a way to finish this story, so here's the oldest twist in the book." Fuck off.
April 30, 2015
Well crafted edge-of-your-seat thriller that sadly feels like a bit of a let down by the end.
½ March 5, 2014
It was a good movie,definitely worth seeing
January 26, 2014
Worth watching and keep guessing. I had only higher expectations from this one
November 27, 2013
Confusing & Mixed For Me. Difficult To Follow But It Does Make Sense In The End..If You Stick With It!
½ November 13, 2013
Good thriller, whose twists rely more on psychology than on easy overturns
½ November 13, 2013
Good thriller, whose twists rely more on psychology than on easy overturns
October 22, 2013
I didn't like any of the characters and don't care about the meaningless trick ending. Any time a coma or a dream are used the "twist" is cheap. There is no character development and when the bad guys get away it is fulfilling.
½ August 25, 2013
A great movie. The plot goes one way, then another, but not in a convoluted way! Love it. **(Spoiler alert next- no details, just general stuff). Not thrilled with the ending, but I'm an American who has been indoctrinated to perfect, clean Disney endings I guess. Or maybe I feel it's because life is hard enough, so let's watch a movie where things end the way we'd wish them to? :D wish upon a star! Heh. No, I'm kind of kidding. This movie was definitely worth watching! I have a lot to say about it but can't without giving it away so just see it. I'll say this; After seeing this movie and if you're in the dating market, you may not trust people as wholeheartedly. Get to know the person a little. I'll say no more!!
June 30, 2013
THE DOUBLE HOUR is a truly terrific suspense film. Always intriguing and full of surprises. The film captivates at every turn as it twists through a number of different genres. At the midway point, the most exciting part of the film, I suddenly felt like I was watching a 70s giallo from a master like Mario Bava. It all settles a bit too much after this high point but still a wonderful mystery that is truly captivating. Kseniya Rappoport is a total revelation in the central role and she makes the film work for she's our guide in a journey we don't understand and we think she doesn't as well. How much she knows and doesn't, and who is she really is the true mystery of the ripping yarn from Italy.
½ April 18, 2013
THE DOUBLE HOUR (2009) Italian, English subtitles
WRITTEN BY: Alessandro Fabbri, Ludovica Rampoldi, Stefano Sardo
DIRECTED BY: Giuseppe Capotondi
FEATURING: Ksenia Rappoport, Filippo Timi, Antonia Truppo, Gaetano Bruno, Fausto Russo Alesi
GENRE: GENRE BENDER
TAGS: Noir, puzzler, thriller, mystery, romance, supernatural, horror
RATING: 8 PINTS OF BLOOD

PLOT: After surviving a gunshot wound to the head, a woman is haunted by apparitions of the dead and visions from what seem to be an alternate, but parallel version of her life. Her perplexing afflictions are in some way grounded in a personal relevance, but instead of clarifying to her what has happened, they further darken the murky conundrum into which she inexorably spirals in this smoldering, claustrophobic thriller.

COMMENTS: Wow! This story really kept me guessing and thinking in Guiseppe Capotondi's stylish, haunting mystery wrought with paradoxes and disturbing plot twists. Capotondi cleverly wields suspense and uncertainty so as to merge the lead character's unfolding impressions with our viewing experience in such a way that I found myself drawn into her to nightmare as if it were my own.

Strong performances glue The Double Hour's convoluted, anomalous elements together into a cohesive, atmospheric mystery. Stars Filippo Timi and Ksenia Rappoport won 2009 Venice Film Festival awards for their roles. Armchair sleuths will find themselves put to the test to try to untangle a twisty path of clues in The Double Hour. With a finale; similar to The Butterfly Effect II, everything comes together in the end with no red herrings, but even the most intrepid brainteaser trailblazer will have to lift the double bill of his deerstalker cap to scratch his brow in consternation after the 20 minute mark.

The Double Hour takes it's name from those times during the day when the numerals designating hour and minutes match. Such as 10:10, or on a 24 hour clock, 22:22. In The Double Hour, these instances hold a special significance: it's rumored one can wish on them and the wish will come true. They seem to figure prominently in Sonia's (Rappoport) life, coinciding with strategic events.

Sonia is a chambermaid working in an upscale hotel. She is hounded is by the proximity of bizarre occurrences. After a hotel guest in a room assigned to Sonia leaps off her balcony as she is speaking to Sonia, Sonia takes up romantically with a man, Guido (Timi) employed to guard a wealthy absentee land owner's estate. While there visiting Guido, professional criminals raid the manor, and hold Guido and Sonia hostage while they loot the mansion of art treasures. Events run awry when Guido tries to protect Sonia. A shot is fired, and everything goes black. It's unclear what happened.

This is where The Double Hour, already a romance and now a crime caper, completely departs from what the viewer is expecting and plunges into the realm of the eerie and bizarre. The film takes up with Sonia back at work at the hotel as if nothing has happened, but clearly her world is incipiently sliding off its axis. Sonia's life shifts back and forth between light and dark, with a maddeningly indiscernible, sickeningly deliberate design. Phantasmal apparitions and unnerving coincidences begin to gaslight the moments of her day, appearing at those times marked by double digits on the clock.

Disquieted again and again by contact from the other side, Sonia questions her interpretation of reality. How far can we trust our senses to tell us what is real? At what point does subjective experience part from objective truth? Like a Gordian-esque tangle of thread unraveling from some bedeviled funeral shroud, Sonia's effort to decipher her burgeoning enigma is predicated by a series of uncanny twists and turns, each successive development hurtling all that has preceded it into uncertainty.

As Sonia drifts through a limbo, The Double Hour deftly, seamlessly crosses multiple genre boundaries, from mystery, to horror, to thriller, keeping us off balance and agitated. Just as we begin to draw conclusions, the storyline bends and splits yet again down another unexpected course.

Do our lives co-exist on parallel planes, where mere chance causes outcomes to diverge into differing pathways? If we could wish to reverse tragedies, could things ever really be the way they were knowing what we know now? Be careful what you wish for. We can only watch powerlessly as Sonia discovers whether or not destiny compels those alternate pathways to converge with an eerily vexing prearrangement upon the manifestation of The Double Hour.
January 14, 2013
The Double Hour is probably better than my experience with it was, but a limited attention span in the height of its distraction made it hard for me to watch the film continually through. Aside from my struggling focus, this Italian film had plenty of intriguing twists that also showed some restraint from being over the top distracting shockers.
½ January 13, 2013
Great Hitchcockian style thriller that is completely unpredictable right up until the end. Sometimes twists can be annoying, however other times, they work perfectly into a great film like this one.
January 3, 2013
An intriguing foreign thriller, The Double Hour is a great mystery filled with numerous twists and turns, and although the ending is a little unsatisfying, everything that builds up to it is very suspenseful and will likely keeping guessing up until said ending.
½ November 5, 2012
just watched this and it was very well done...fine acting, some moments that will make you jump...this one will definitely keep you guessing...
November 3, 2012
THE DOUBLE HOUR (2009) Italian, English subtitles
WRITTEN BY: Alessandro Fabbri, Ludovica Rampoldi, Stefano Sardo
DIRECTED BY: Giuseppe Capotondi
GENRE: GENRE BENDER
TAGS: Noir, puzzler, thriller, mystery, romance, supernatural, horror
RATING: 8 PINTS OF BLOOD

COMMENTS: Wow! This one really kept me guessing and thinking. Guiseppe Capotondi's stylish, haunting mystery wrought with paradoxes and disturbing plot twists. Capotondi cleverly wields suspense and uncertainty so as to merge the lead character's unfolding impressions with our viewing experience in such a way that I found myself drawn into her to nightmare as if it were my own.

Strong performances glue The Double Hour's convoluted, anomalous elements together into a cohesive, atmospheric mystery. Stars Filippo Timi and Ksenia Rappoport won 2009 Venice Film Festival awards for their performances. Armchair sleuths will find themselves put to the test to try to untangle a twisty path of clues in The Double Hour. With a finisih similar to The Butterfly Effect II, everything comes together in the end with no red herrings, but even the most intrepid brainteaser trailblazer will have to lift the double bill of his deerstalker cap to scratch his brow in consternation after the 20 minute mark.

The Double Hour takes it's name from those times during the day when the numerals designating hour and minutes match. Such as 10:10, or on a 24 hour clock, 22:22. In The Double Hour, these times hold a special significance: it's rumored one can wish on them and the wish will come true. They seem to figure prominently in Sonia's (Rappoport) life, coinciding with life changing events.

Sonia is a chambermaid working in an upscale hotel. She is hounded is by the proximity of bizarre events. After a hotel guest in a room assigned to her leaps off her balcony as Sonia is talking to her, Sonia takes up romantically with a man, Guido (Timi) employed to guard a wealthy absentee land owner's estate. While there visiting Guido, professional criminals raid the manor, and hold Guido and Sonia hostage while they loot the mansion of art treasures. Events run awry when Guido tries to protect Sonia. A shot is fired, and everything goes black. It's unclear what happened.

This is where The Double Hour, already a romance and now a crime caper, completely departs from what the viewer is expecting and plunges into the eerie and bizarre. The film takes up with Sonia back at work at the hotel as if nothing has happened, but clearly her world is incipiently sliding off its axis. Sonia's life shifts back and forth between light and dark, with a maddeningly indiscernible, sickeningly deliberate design. Phantasmal apparitions and unnerving coincidences begin to gaslight the moments of her day, appearing at those times marked by double digits on the clock.

Disquieted again and again by contact from the other side, Sonia questions her interpretation of reality. How far can we trust our sense to tell us what is real? At what point does subjective experience part from objective truth? Like a Gordian-esque tangle of thread unraveling from some bedeviled funeral shroud, Sonia's effort to decipher her burgeoning enigma is predicated by a series of uncanny twists and turns, each successive development hurtling all that has preceded it into uncertainty.

As Sonia drifts through a limbo, The Double Hour deftly, seamlessly crosses multiple genre boundaries, from mystery, to horror, to thriller, keeping us off balance, and agitated. Just as we begin to draw conclusions, the storyline bends and splits yet again down another unexpected course.

Do our lives co-exist on parallel planes, where chance causes outcomes to diverge into differing pathways? If we could wish to reverse tragedies, could things ever really be the way they were knowing what we know now? Be careful what you wish for. We can only watch powerlessly as Sonia discovers whether or not destiny compels those alternate pathways to converge with an eerily vexing prearrangement upon the manifestation of The Double Hour.
October 27, 2012
A fast and twisty thriller.
October 10, 2012
CANSADO DE VER LAS MISMAS FORMULAS UNA Y OTRA VEZ? con Ústa pelÝcula se rompe la reciente mala racha de cine desechable.
Tiene mucho de lo que me gusta de una buena pelÝcula.
September 23, 2012
The parts of the movie which are supposed to amaze me they didn't. The twists and suspense didn't come out well but the cinematography of the scenes and playing with the lights I liked.
September 15, 2012
Kept me interested as the story unraveled, although it ultimately proved to be a twisted procedural. And sometimes a foreign language film earns some extra points just for being a foreign language film!