La Chinoise Reviews

• May 27, 2017

Godard's social commentary on Marxist Revolution is refreshingly original and smart.

• Jan 07, 2016

A political film made with few resources

A political film made with few resources

• May 30, 2015

Aside from being an oddly effective experimental film, Godard's movie not only captures the mood of a generation in 1968 --- it seems to pull you back to the time. There is an odd sort of cinematic alchemy going on here.

• Sep 17, 2014

No matter what genre you opt to place it, Godard's LA CHINOISE is pure pop art. And, it is nothing short of fantastic.

• Apr 09, 2014

The first hour of the film is nothing but a bunch of pretentious college students confusing Marxism and theatre, I was sure I was going to hate this. And then the movie changes gears.

• Jun 28, 2013

A very funny film that was a joy to see. Jean-Luc Godard proves he can do anything with this one, this film has so many things that make it hard to like but he makes it enjoyable. I especially loved that Mao song.

• Mar 23, 2013

Since the Pierrot le Fou every Godard movie loses it's narrative plot and becomes a set of dialogues. La Chinoise is the first step to completely unwatchable cinema. But nobody says it's bad. It's pretty good.

• Jan 13, 2013

Even though I'm one of Jean-Luc Godard's biggest fans, for me it's easy to say that, "La Chinoise" is one of his most pretentious and boring films. While many of his artistic sensibilities are still on display, and on many instances the film itself looks like a work of art, it often, if not always make the film worse. Using paint for blood, and pop art letters for film "parts" usually is charming, but here it's tiring. His goal is to make a social satire, and it's obvious that he was a strong supporter of Maoism, and honestly, it's infuriating. It's not necessarily offensive, but the film often instead feels like a self-pleasing, semi-documentary, and by the forty-five minute mark it's almost too much to stand. I love his films, especially "Pierrot le Fou" and "Alphaville", but "La Chinoise", often marked as the beginning of his "film essays" just isn't anything great. We follow three philosophy students, Veronique (Anne Wiazemsky), Yvonne (Juliet Berto), and Guillame (Jean-Pierre Leaud), who all support the Maoism cause, having daily meetings. But even with their day to day examinations of the cause, it becomes more and more clear that everyone involved truly doesn't understand what they're advocating. Maybe it's supposed to be funny, but "La Chinoise" fails on many levels. All of the actors are wooden, doing nothing but appearing as fixtures and acting as the guinea pigs of weird camera angles and odd lines. In his early days, Godard experimented with bits and pieces of "pop art" like this, but then it was charming and interesting. This film acts as those bits and pieces as one film, and that's its downfall. "La Chinoise" is uninteresting, pretentious, and cloying. Godard hasn't made many bad films, but this is one of them.

• Dec 23, 2012

Quel film merveilleux

Quel film merveilleux

• Jul 25, 2012

Maravilhoso filme de Godard sobre intelectuais comunistas a favor da luta armada para uma Revolução Comunista na França. Critica a crença de uma luta armada por jovens que passam o dia lendo filósofos e o livro vermelho, adquirindo ideais através dessas leituras que, no fundo, são ideais que não se adequam a realidade francesa da época. Critica a idéia de 'as massas francesas ainda não sabem que precisam da revolução, mas, nós, intelectuais, vamos liderá-la para o bem dessas massas'.