La Ronde - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

La Ronde Reviews

May 12, 2017
It's sweeping in its own unique way and takes the classic romance genre into interesting ways especially in its format which must have jarring at the time. Ophuls is also a genius with his cinematography and following his characters around a room which works marvelously here.
May 7, 2017
A fun, memorable film
March 5, 2017
A beautiful film with a constantly roaming camera. The challenge for me was the story, I wasn't full drawn in but this is a film certainly worth watching for the visual alone. Max Ophuls is a master with the tracking shot and this film shows him at his full powers. Worth a watch for classic cinema lovers.
½ May 22, 2016
A charming movie. However, I had a hard time thinking they were in Vienna with them speaking French the whole time.
February 5, 2016
This is a souffle, i.e. delicious when you do not want either a beefsteak or a hot curry. When first released, it was a handsome showcase for the current stars of French cinema, from Darrieux and Signoret to the inevitable Daniel Gelin. The secret ingredient is however syphilis, or whatever germ is passed from the first to the last person in the ring: equally tactfully omitted from both Schnitzler's stage play (as everyone understood a century ago, which is why it took so long for the play to get staged) and today in Wikipedia.
½ October 22, 2015
Couldn't care about any of the characters, none of the stories stood out much. The movie might have been cutting edge back in its day, but now mostly appears creaky. Apparently nothing bores me more than French aristocracy, most of the movies dealing with characters from the French upper classes bores me to tears.
October 13, 2015
Whimsy. Sexy. Whimsy. I think that pretty much sums this film up.
December 15, 2013
Ophuls, in his French debut, brings to the screen an Arthur Schnitzler story about interlocking love affairs in 19th century Vienna. Though the storyline may seem like a soap opera, it is in fact a delightful, poetic and witty examination about love, which surprises the viewer for its daring nature and Ophuls' own visionary talent, particularly with the metaphor of a merry-go-round and a raconteur that introduces the story in a fable like manner, sublimely interpreted by Walbrook.
December 5, 2013
My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.
March 30, 2013
Interesting exercise in style. Shockingly sexually overt for 1950.
January 26, 2013
Describes different types of love and lust in an engaging, appealing way.
December 1, 2012
Sexy, witty, endearing-- I've wanting to see this feelm for decades and wasn't disappointed. A bit uncomfy watching it with the in-laws, though as it's pretty much sex, sex, sex. I heart Anton Walbrook so.
November 20, 2012
I wish the rest of this movie were as good as its opening shot...
½ November 13, 2012
Max Ophuls' cinematic adaptation of Arthur Schnitzler's play 'Reigen' dramatizes that play about interlocking couples coupling in turn of the century Vienna with blase wit, bringing to bear a careful eye for costumes and set design and a dash of sophisticated technical experimentation consistent with the tenor of the source material. The structure is somewhat gimmicky in that it begins with two characters, a soldier and a prostitute, meeting and sleeping together and then proceeds on to the soldier's next tryst, after which is shown his lover's next tryst and so on until ending up back with the prostitute having gone up and down the social strata of society via sexual contacts but to his credit Ophuls' film doesn't feel gimmicky. Instead each encounter is carefully staged to explore some aspect of this theme such as love, desire, impotence, or jealousy. The settings are elaborately theatrical and Ophuls' richly embroiders Schnitzler's characters by carefully staging the scenes in elaborately furnished private dining rooms, carnivals, brothels, and bedrooms, bringing out the Freudian symbolism of, for example, the saber of an officer. This film's account of the libido leaves a sophisticated, world-weary impression with the viewer as its elaborate stagecraft can only partly conceal the endless repetition of what makes the world go round.
½ October 8, 2012
Sixty years later it is hard not to think of VD when watching La Ronde and that's a shame. Ophuls' puckish wink at sexual mores in 1900 Vienna deserves to be the light-hearted ride on the merry-go-round it was designed to be. Anton Walbrook is our guide, exercising a magical influence on events, as we follow the romantic urge from person to person around the circle (and along the many tracking shots, an Ophuls trademark). A few Freudian slips are left dangling and on more than one occasion the carousel breaks down. Fortunately, not for long. A wonderful exercise in style, but Ophuls would later top this one...
August 18, 2012
Max Ophuls' most playful film. More eye-popping than "Madame De...", but not necessarily better. An outstanding achievement for French cinema. Max Ophuls know the camera inside out. It was said in an interview with his son (Ophuls) that he only had 2 days for each act, which I find very surprising since each shot is done with such care and such precision with the camera (as usual with Ophuls) that I wouldn't ever expect such a short time period to shoot each scene, especially with such long shots. Simply a great film, that affects me very personally. Also the merry-go-round is genius, and a beautiful narrative set piece.
May 8, 2012
It's a great pedigree, but as the Ophuls movie that comments on itself most theatrically, it all ends up being a little repetitive and tidy.
March 6, 2012
An exquisite masterwork from one of the world's finest filmmakers. La Ronde finds the viewer being taken on a merry-go-round of sexual encounters led by our narrator Anton Walbrook in Vienna 1900. One encounter leads to another, with witty sexual dialogue all the details being captured by Ophuls kinoeye. No other director could get so much from the sets as Ophuls, and La Ronde is a great example of this talent. The camera roams the rooms, lavishly decorated, while the actors (a who's who of French actors of the time) portray various individuals within the French society from prostitute to aristocrat; the penniless to the rich. And how all these people still are interrelated through sex. A terrific work.