La Ronde Reviews

• Feb 14, 2018

Bravo! What a movie! It's a pure delight to watch such French movies. The French people do know how to make love, they are world experts in this matter. Max Ophuls so exquisitely shot his movies, with such extraordinary charm - it envelopes you completely. This movie about love affairs told in short interconnected stories puts its characters in quite familiar situations which play out with a different flavor. All that is happening in the old Vienna, the director's beloved place with its still present code of honor.

• Jul 22, 2017

Max Ophuls has made a classic with La Ronde because of its unique script structure and always interesting takes on themes such as love, marriage and happiness. Humorously narrated by a man that understands that he is telling a story for a picture which is more than fascinating it is avant-garde. Every new character shows a new perspective and a charm that captures one, but drives away the next. Like the characters the camera sets the mood in each scene creating a fluid and glamorously shot film.

• Jul 21, 2017

Ophuls is able to recreate much of the romanticism and humor from his other films, but fails to create something distinctively different or better than those previous efforts.

• May 12, 2017

It's sweeping in its own unique way and takes the classic romance genre into interesting ways especially in its format which must have jarring at the time. Ophuls is also a genius with his cinematography and following his characters around a room which works marvelously here.

• May 07, 2017

A fun, memorable film

A fun, memorable film

• Mar 05, 2017

A beautiful film with a constantly roaming camera. The challenge for me was the story, I wasn't full drawn in but this is a film certainly worth watching for the visual alone. Max Ophuls is a master with the tracking shot and this film shows him at his full powers. Worth a watch for classic cinema lovers.

• May 22, 2016

A charming movie. However, I had a hard time thinking they were in Vienna with them speaking French the whole time.

• Oct 22, 2015

Couldn't care about any of the characters, none of the stories stood out much. The movie might have been cutting edge back in its day, but now mostly appears creaky. Apparently nothing bores me more than French aristocracy, most of the movies dealing with characters from the French upper classes bores me to tears.

• Jul 17, 2015

My very first Ophüls film, a breezy studio-bound adaption of Arthur Schnitzler's play "Reigen", set in the 1980s in Vienna (yes, I'm freshly returning from a one-week vacation in Vienna). Structurally, LA RONDE adheres firmly to the play's ten liaisons, each stars one pair of its 10 characters in a sequential order, starts with the whore (Signoret) and the solider (Reggiani), then the soldier and the housemaid (Simon), the housemaid and the young gentleman (Gélin), and so forth until it finishes with the Count (Philipe) and the whore, thus consummates "la ronde". keep reading my review on my blog: http://wp.me/p1eXom-1Xd

• Dec 15, 2013

Ophuls, in his French debut, brings to the screen an Arthur Schnitzler story about interlocking love affairs in 19th century Vienna. Though the storyline may seem like a soap opera, it is in fact a delightful, poetic and witty examination about love, which surprises the viewer for its daring nature and Ophuls' own visionary talent, particularly with the metaphor of a merry-go-round and a raconteur that introduces the story in a fable like manner, sublimely interpreted by Walbrook.