Lady of Burlesque Reviews

Aldo G Super Reviewer
    Aug 03, 2020

If you're studying the film career of Barbara Stanwyck don't overlook this William Wellman directed comedy, murder-mustery. Stanwyck was coming off The Lady Eve, Meet John Doe and Ball of Fire and choose this silly script because the grindhouse setting was dear to her heart given that's how she got her start in showbiz. If you can't stomach the whole film, but are a Stanwyck fan, at least watch her singing and dance routine near the top of the film. She's not good at the singing or dancing, but has that "it" factor that makes the scene a pleasure. Also note how director Wellman was forced to film her from the waist up during the number's bump and grind points.

• Aug 03, 2020

Stanwyck struts her stuff in this rather tame muder mystery in a burlesque house. The tame part is that the costumes by Edith Head, while gorgeous, are nothing you wouldn't see in any movie made in the 30s and there is definitely no stripping.Even so, Ball of fire is a better movie.

• Oct 18, 2018

Lady of Burlesque is an okay film. It is about the murder of a burlesque dancer and the other performers trying to find her killer. Barbara Stanwyck and Michael O'Shea gave decent performances. The screenplay is a little in places. William A. Wellman did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the humor and mystery.

• Jul 08, 2018

I saw 'Lady of Burlesque' in black-and-white on TCM and it made it look a lot older than its 1943 filming date. Putting that aside, 'Lady' was a decent backstage romp through vaudeville then turned murder caper with a surprisingly well rounded cast supporting Stanwyck as g-string girl Dixie. Packs a lot in for just over 90 minutes, and , while it does drag at times, still well worth catching.

• Sep 07, 2017

Have they colorized it? Ugh. Don't watch colorized movies, people.

Have they colorized it? Ugh. Don't watch colorized movies, people.

• Aug 22, 2017

Actually wish I had not seen this. Pretty lousy film..and I am a huge Stanwyck fan. Terrible script and acting all around. By the end I didnt care who was murdered or why.

• Aug 31, 2016

Brassy wisecracks between the sprawling cast of burlesque characters are sort of amusing for a while, but a murder mystery plot that takes over things ends up being kind of flat and predictable. Stanwyck herself is always a welcome presence. However, my reaction to Michael O'Shea's comedian love interest mirrors her character's for the better part of the picture: he's mainly pretty annoying, and they have zip for chemistry together. It probably doesn't say much that the thing I enjoyed most about 'Lady of Burlesque' was Edith Head's costumes, but there you go.

• Feb 03, 2015

Another fun acting job by Stanny - who; as usual - steals the show!

Another fun acting job by Stanny - who; as usual - steals the show!

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Oct 17, 2014

Although Babs had her some little personal experience in the burlesque game, and though she gives it her "that's show business!" all here (there's one scene she dances onstage that'd play any modern day medium ya got) she cannot save this "backstage at the burlesque"/murder whodunit that suffers from a screenplay that, while quick with the witty one-liners, unfortunately plays fast and loose with the intended conclusion.

• Sep 22, 2013

A murder mystery that is really an excuse to bring Vaudeville to the screen.

A murder mystery that is really an excuse to bring Vaudeville to the screen.