The Lair of the White Worm - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Lair of the White Worm Reviews

½ October 9, 2016
You have Hugh Grant as the poshest most ridiculously hyper british he's ever been, Peter Capaldi in full Scottish garb playing bagpipes and throwing grenades, a full body painted blue snake woman with a huge strap on who seduces teenage virgins with board games in lingerie, psychedelic flashbacks to Jesus suffering on the cross in front of roman soldiers violently raping nuns dressed in white, a kooky policeman with a lazy eye and 4 inch snake fangs, ridiculous lore that of course is all true... As a cult second-rate movie, Lair of the White Worm is everything you'd hope-full of camp and just creepy enough. As a Ken Russell movie, it's unfortunately disappointingly shallow.
½ March 21, 2016
Not sure quite what to make of this 80's horror comedy. It's campy, trippy, tacky and very weird and Amanda Donohoe is incredibly hot as the vampire queen, but it just never fully comes together in any way. Watch for the weirdness factor, Donohoe.s alternately sexy and terrifying vampire and the sight of a very young Hugh Grant and current Dr Who Peter Capaldi looking like he's twelve.
½ October 7, 2015
The most awkwardly awesome film ever. Feels like a crazy psychedelic trip, if you ask me. It's an exotic sensual monster film which barely makes any sense. It's Hugh Grant long before he was famous in the US and his accent is barely noticeable. It's the current Doctor Who, 20+ years long before he would even dream of that role, and at that time, they were on doctor number 7, he's 12 after the 12 year hiatus from 89-01.

A humanoid snake creature is biting people and inducing a poison which gives a sense of temporary death or unconsciousness and then they revive as a sort of snake vampire, but they can be killed without anything special. It's a crazy film. It's a fun film. Your friends have probably never seen or heard of it. It's not necessarily a very good film, but a cult film in its own right.
September 26, 2015
Funny Ken Russell goes horror flick with his usual crazy imaging and a script with lots of innuendo. But the end seems very abrupt and themes that story develops all through the movie go nowhere. It's like they ran out of money and just stopped the film in mid-shooting.
May 16, 2015
A film that only Ken Russell could have gotten away with as it's so campy, over-the-top, and silly, yet it's still oddly worthy of a look, which for a film staring Hugh Grant is really quite rare. The plot works as well as an inflatable pin cushion and is best just letting it go in one ear and out the next, the characters are have little to no depth, while on the other hand the performance from Amanda Donohoe is worthy of a watch alone as she largely semi-nakedly vamps the movie up to eleven. For a horror film this isn't frightening in the slightest, and I doubt it was ever really made with the sole intention to scare, rather to entertain. This really isn't a must watch at all, but there is some fun to be had here if you can catch it.
April 6, 2015
A bit goofy, but I think it was supposed to be. Hhmmm, I really don't know how to rate this because I'm not sure I actually "get it" for once. Give it a shot.
½ March 22, 2015
This film really struggles to make an ounce of sense and it really feels (like the book it is based on) like stuff was haphazardly cut out. Gets a half star for having a scene with Peter Capaldi battling a snake-vampire-policeman while wearing a kilt and playing bagpipes.
February 25, 2015
An okay premise that gets a bit bogged down by the slow middle and an unsatisfying, anticlimactic ending. The performances are good and there are some neat visuals, but it's kind of a miss.
January 14, 2015
Bang goes another early night.

A Scottish archeologist discovers a strange fossil that appears to be from the Roman time period when they resided in the area of the excavation. Meanwhile, a female strange neighbor that resides in an eccentric house down the street that everyone believes is haunted arrives in town. Shortly after her arrival, the fossil turns up missing and so do people in the area. The archeologist and a group of his friends will hunt down the artifact, starting with the strange woman's house.

"Perhaps we should phone the hospital."
"No. No. No. No. They'd only amputate."

Ken Russell, director of Gothic, Tommy, Dog Boys, Treasure Island, Mindbender, Whore, Prisoner of Honor, The Rainbow, The Devils, and Billion Dollar Brain, delivers The Lair of the White Worm. The storyline for this picture is very average and reminded me of similar pictures from this era like The Howling or Serpent and the Rainbow. The acting was fun but nothing special. The cast includes Hugh Grant, Amanda Donohoe, Catherine Oxenberg, Gina McKee, and Sammi Davis.

"Here's to the first swallow!"

I had remembered seeing this as a kid and didn't remember it being too good, but I grabbed it off Netflix when I was in the mood for a horror film. This was below average as the special effects and make-up were disappointing; however, the characters were fun and worthwhile. Overall, I do recommend seeing this if you're a fan of the genre but I wouldn't go too out of my way to see this.

"I think we probably have another reptile on the premises."

Grade: C-
January 6, 2015
The Lair of the White Worm is another infamous Ken Russell film, a man whose directorial efforts yielded many of cinema's most insane oddities. This is one of them, but I didn't feel particularly interested in the movie as a whole. It lost me at many points, not the least of which is due to the thickness of the accents by most of the actors. You get used to it after a while, but still, a lot of important details were probably lost in the mix. The film was also based upon a Bram Stoker novel, which the marketing fully embraces, of course. Incredibly memorable visuals mixed with a less than stellar story about snake people, which is this movie in a nutshell. It's also noted as an early film for Hugh Grant.
January 5, 2015
I just read ken russels autobiography and this is one of his more well known ones, sadly its not that good, i think it had a good set up/premise despite it being pretty fantastical, they take it pretty seriously for the most part, but then russell gets caught up throwing in these random sex/violence "visions" that aren't necessary, and then where the story ends up going is just stupid, the performances are good ill give it that, and donohoe is pretty damn sexy, but overall a disappointment
½ January 3, 2015
80's horror is the best (i.e., worst)!
December 23, 2014
Caught this on Netflix last Saturday. Goofy and campy. A future Dr. Who appears in this movie.
December 13, 2014
Adolescent B-film production. Gore, titties, and synth-music.
November 16, 2014
Russell takes one of Bram Stoker's weakest novels and transforms it into delirious, psychedelic pulp ... as he tends to do. It's a massive improvement on the source material and a lot of fun. Fans of Russell's 1980s material should love it.
July 24, 2014
This must be one of the ultimate British B-movies. It is magnificently hilariously camp, Donohoe is perfectly cast, Grant is his usual self and Capaldi looks great in a kilt.
½ June 11, 2014
Weird, kinda fun movie.
April 23, 2014
I've started watching the film but became immediately bored as soon as Hugh Grant turned up. Never mind I thought I'll give it a chance but low and behold, Amanda Donohoe appeared all dressed in white. it does not take a genius to work out the rest the film so I gave up caring at this point. Please don't waste your time with even bothering with this film. Thank you.
½ March 28, 2014
I had forgotten how over the top and vile this funny this was. The acting is dreadful besides Donohue and the SFX are super dated but underneath it all there are glimpses of the legendery Ken Russell superb talent
½ February 20, 2014
A movie that really defies giving a rating. Why? Was it good? Well I was entertained. It was well directed. The plot is muddled but serviceable. And in pure Ken Russel fashion he can make women look sexy on camera. It's strange and if camp and you don't know the director you will most Likely think this is garbage.