The Lena Baker Story (Hope & Redemption: The Lena Baker Story) Reviews

• Aug 14, 2013

Chilling tale of the sorrowful treatment of a wronged woman by the bigoted white society of the turn of the century period in the rural South, with a marvelous performance by Tichina Arnold. The talented funny mother from Everybody Hates Chris proves she can do drama proud, too. A very compelling film that will fill you with outrage.

• Jun 12, 2013

Very moving film... heartbreaking how the system has failed its people...

Very moving film... heartbreaking how the system has failed its people...

• Mar 10, 2013

A horrible tear-jerker that leaves the viewer feeling like a trapped rat from the very beginning. No sense of hope, no sense of justice --in fact, I don't think there was a single happy moment in the entire torturous 100 minutes. It was just a relentless chain of depressing events that left me with an immense feeling of ugliness after all was said and done. Yes, I know this is a true story --true cold, hard reality but I get enough of that in my own life. Why would I want to watch anybody else's? Was there anything good about the movie? Well, I suppose the acting was pretty powerful. Other than that, I have nothing but regret.

• Jan 21, 2013

This is a MUST SEE movie.

This is a MUST SEE movie.

• Dec 10, 2011

I find it heartbreaking everytime I think of how we used to behave not only toward other races, but towards women as well. This is a sad story about a black woman who killed a white man in self defence, and ended up being sentenced to death in a trial that took less than 4 hours. Appalling. All I can say is thank god we have moved on from that day and age. The movie itself was not that great. Dragged a little in some places and really there was not enought to keep me riveted. Overall really rather average.

• Cynthia S Super Reviewer
    Nov 27, 2011

This movie was very moving. Tichina Arnold did an amazing job. This was a touching, real life situation that should never have happened. This women was held captive, and abused by a sick white man for years...yet they executed her for defending herself. How dare they pardon her decades later. That only seemed like a sick joke to me. Well done, and excellent cast.

• Nov 22, 2011

Loved this movie anything with my African American histories

Loved this movie anything with my African American histories

• Apr 07, 2011

Excellent performance by Tichina Arnold and Peter Coyote.

Excellent performance by Tichina Arnold and Peter Coyote.

• Feb 07, 2011

Excellent story that too few people know about.

Excellent story that too few people know about.

• Sep 25, 2009

OMG got so choked up watching this film, been a long time since I had a cry, very well done and casting was good, who could believe that this could go on in the age that we lived, who are we to think we are better than others??