Life - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Life Reviews

August 20, 2017
A well made, generally well-acted and well-paced unexceptional sci-fi movie. An initially interesting concept quickly turns into a highly predictable alien on a spaceship movie, that we've all seen 100 times before. There's nothing especially wrong with it, but Life brings virtually nothing new to the genre that I'm surprised so many big names committed to this script.
August 19, 2017
Characters were never really developed and some seemed unlikely as astronauts but still an entertaining movie and good ending.
August 19, 2017
Tense and thrilling but with an ending you can see coming a mile off!
August 19, 2017
After reading the reviews I didn't think this would be worth a watch. How wrong I was no0t a bad movie at all.
½ August 18, 2017
Very tense with some neat creature moments. Easy enough to guess the ending, but still neat.
Acting was terrible!
August 18, 2017
This was pure shit .. It's literally just a rip off of Alien with elements of Gravity thrown into a blender of 'scientific convenience' Fuck this movie, just watch 'Pandorum' instead because it had depth, interesting characters, tense action and less predictability than this movie does.

I have honestly never seen a movie that has taken so much from other movies and put it into one feature, it's was so boring I was really tempted to just leave as soon as I got about 40 minutes into it .. I'd had enough, I could see the ending coming from a mile off.

It amazes me how people said "Oh Alien: Covenant' that was so predictable .." Well, I give it a free pass .. Y'know why? It's a prequel, this is a movie that IS NOT a prequel but it feels like a shitty sequel to an even shitter movie .. It feels longer than it is and it feels more boring than typing this message.

Honestly, I'd give it a 2 out of 10 .. I'd rather get raped by a clown than watch this absolute garbage again.
½ August 18, 2017
First pretends to take place in our universe and ignores basic physics, logic and simplest security rules afterwards. On top you get a winy, suicidal and incompetent spacecrew... but at least cultural diversity and fat acceptance are portrayed sufficiantly.
August 18, 2017
SCOTT: (Dr. Scott Allison, Professor of Psychology, University of Richmond) Greg, we just saw a movie that was certainly full of life. And its opposite.

GREG: (Greg Smith, Founder of Agile Writers of Richmond, VA) For the life of me I can t remember a more thrilling movie. Let s recap:

SCOTT: The six-member crew of an international space station recovers a dormant single-cell life form from Mars. They successfully revive it, and soon it grows into a complex multicellular organism. Dr. Miranda North (Rebecca Ferguson) calls it all muscle, all brain, and all eye. Dr. Hugh Derry (Ariyon Bakare) conducts experiments on it, and one day the creature grabs onto his hand and won t let go.

GREG: And it begins killing crewmembers. Captain North begins to instantiate the first of three firewalls. They lock the creature in the lab. But things don t go as planned and it slips into the ventilation system. Now it s a race against time to try and destroy the creature before it destroys the crew. And since they don t know if the creature can withstand the rigors of planetary re-entry, they can t allow the space station s orbit to decay and allow the creature to get loose on Earth.

SCOTT: Greg, the title of this film, Life, is both brilliant and misleading. Its brilliance lies in the movie s portrayal of how humans discover new extraterrestrial life. The misleading aspect of the title, of course, resides in the wake of human dead bodies resulting from the alien s ruthless nature. The creature has an unyielding drive to live, a drive that stops at nothing to destroy and consume all other life forms in its path. This movie called Life is about a death machine. This film left me feeling disturbed and dismayed about life in the universe and the doom awaiting our own planet. I haven t felt this deflated and defeated after seeing a movie since 2014 s Nightcrawler. You may recall that Nightcrawler ends not just with evil triumphing over good, but evil growing stronger throughout the movie and remaining seemingly unstoppable at the end. Life does exactly that, too. Perhaps not coincidentally, actor Jake Gyllenhaal stars in both Nightcrawler and Life. To take on these roles, Gyllenhaal must believe that human life is pretty much doomed.

GREG: I saw Life as a combination of 1971 s The Andromeda Strain and 1979 s Alien. In The Andromeda Strain a virus is brought to Earth when a satellite crash lands after being hit by a tiny meteor. And of course Alien is the classic horror-in-outer-space thriller about an alien attacking a crew aboard a spaceship. What all of these films have in common is man s unwitting demise due to our innate curiosity. We are reaching out into the unknown vastness of space. Some stories talk about the exciting possibilities. Life, and the others, remind us that here, be dragons. I enjoyed Life for what it was - a horror film set in outer space. But there s not much new here. The creature grows at an alarming rate. It appears to learn even faster. Somehow, it knows about spacecraft, outerspace living, and how to use sharp objects. It s all very unbelievable. But, since the point of the film is to play upon our darkest fears, logic is not a necessity.

SCOTT: As a horror film, there is a particular storyline formula for our hero ensemble to follow. There must be peace and levity at the outset, followed by an encounter with an unknown entity. Our heroes must underestimate the danger of the entity, with one or two of the heroes making crucial errors allowing the entity to gain better access to the group. One by one the heroes are killed in gruesome fashion by the entity, until the very end when one lone hero survives. But in Life, the survivor appears to be stranded in space while the evil entity has landed on earth and is about to feast on 7 billion inhabitants. Our heroes have failed in their mission -- never a sign of good storytelling, in my opinion. I must say, I much preferred the ending in the original Alien movie in which Sigourney Weaver outwits and outlasts the alien entity. We re left frightened but exhilarated that good has defeated evil. I do understand that Life s dismal ending appears necessary as a set-up for a sequel. Imagine the bloodbath that awaits humanity, and all the heroes who will need to step up to stop the monster and its offspring. Still, as a stand-alone story, Life doesn t work, as our heroes do not transform and use their transformation to prevail.

GREG: As we noted in our review of Get Out - story often gives way to shock value in horror stories. Still, not all stories must end happily. If you look the the classic Planet of the Apes (1968), the story ends with our hero realizing that he was stranded on a future planet Earth where Man had destroyed himself, giving way to the rise of the apes. It is a cautionary tale. In Life we see the same result. Our hero takes the creature to the planet surface and local fisherman unwittingly open the capsule, apparently unleashing the creature on the Earth s populace. This, too, is a cautionary tale: Don t mess with mother nature. If Mars is dead, it s probably best to leave it alone. As we venture out into space, we must be sure not to bring back anything that might harm us. For me, it was a satisfying ending.

SCOTT: Life is a movie about death, lots of it in fact, both onscreen and inevitably soon to come in big numbers in the future. Don t get me wrong; this movie is expertly crafted and riveting. Our hero ensemble is simply outmatched by this creature designed as a biological weapon, and as such we have a failed hero s mission and failed hero s journey. I left the theater feeling worse than when I entered, which is never a good storytelling effect. Because the movie is so well made, I still have to award it 3 Reels out of 5. There was heroism in this movie, albeit with failed results. Dr. North locks herself out of the space station while the beast is attached to her, thereby (she thinks) saving her colleagues. Dr. Jordan selflessly volunteers to be jettisoned out in space with the creature, thereby (he thinks) saving Golovkina and the planet Earth from the creature. These failed acts of heroism are noteworthy, but they don t come with any transformation, mentoring, or positive outcomes. As such I can only award these heroes 2 Hero points out of 5. I didn t detect any lasting transformations among our heroic characters. Displays of selflessness do occur, and one could argue they stemmed from transformations in the moment. But good storytelling demands a lasting dispositional change in the protagonists, and we don t get that here, as most of our heroes die. The alien creature undergoes physical transformation -- it gets bigger, stronger, and deadlier. So for that reason, I can award 1 Transformation delta out of 5. Movie: Transformations: Heroes:

GREG: Life isn t an original movie. We ve seen this theme before. What it does have is Ryan Reynolds and Jake Gyllenhaal. And that makes it some kind of fun. The creature was pure evil which isn t unusual in a horror flick. And the ending caught me by surprise, even if it was obvious to my date. I can give it 3 out of 5 Reels. Our heroes are the spacemen and women. They display the usual elements of heroic behavior including intelligence, strength, and endurance. But not quite enough intelligence - which makes the horror story all the more interesting. I give them just 3 out of 5 Heroes. And there isn t a lot of transformation for our heroes. Although the creature undergoes a strong physical transformation. I give it just 2 out of 5 Deltas. Movie: Transformations: Heroes:
August 15, 2017
There are a lot of similarities with Alien
½ August 14, 2017
Had a lot of wasted potential and talent, but the ending is a change of pace
½ August 14, 2017
A group of interesting characters that, of course, will die before the movie concludes. It isn't the most original or clever plot for a science fiction movie, but it is a plot that never gets old.
August 14, 2017
Decent movie but predictable. nice twist at the end.
½ August 13, 2017
ARE YOU KIDDING? Well acted possibly but Ryan Reynolds is dead in the opening scene so don't watch for him. Maybe your into horror don't freaking watch for that either the main antagonist is a non human glob of jello that's smart why? No one knows. Then the best part is the end oh the end where the movie ties it all up nope this movie leaves you hanging with a pit in your stomach seriously who made this movie? It's like a children's book that's supposed to be horror then to makeu it interesting because everything else about it sucks they gave it a crappy ending. Great job
August 13, 2017
A typical alien type movie but the alien itself was made really well with special effects and gave it a slightly different feel. I liked it.
August 13, 2017
Visually interesting, the pacing can be a little jarring but overall I enjoyed it. Worth seeing
August 13, 2017
For a basic overdone 'Alien on a spaceship' story this was surprisingly good.
½ August 13, 2017
Film starts off with promise and plot, however quite quickly the plot forgets key parts of the requirements for this life form to even exist for example at the start when it first comes to life it wasn't able to breath our atmosphere and went into hibernation when it was exposed to our atmosphere. two minutes later the film forgets this requirement and the organism is able to roam freely around the ISS as if the film conviniently allows this to all of a sudden be possible. As much as it tries to be a cutting edge thriller it simply has a predictable plot and ending. The minute the escape pods hit the debris you knew straight away the ending would be anti-climatic
August 12, 2017
at first is predictable. but good end did not see that coming. kinda sad but awesome
August 12, 2017
ALIEN clone without the fantastic Giger inspired art designs entertains, but is definitely not as interesting as the ALIEN release this summer, Covenant, was. Great actors but the cheesy twist ending was pretty corny and predictable, compared to Covenant's predictable yet dramatically satisfying finale.