Life - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Life Reviews

May 20, 2018
Take Alien, from it take out alien. What do you have? basically nothing that is worth to watch.
May 7, 2018
Heikko Alien kopio joka etenee ja päättyy tismalleen niin kuin vähänkään kartalla oleva katsoja ajattelee. Ruotsalainen Espinosa on keskinkertainen ohjaaja joka on saanut olla Hollywoodissa nyt jo tarpeettoman kauan. En ymmärrä miten Gyllenhaal ja Reynolds on saatu tähän nakitettua. Käsikirjoitus on täynnä typeriä hahmoja jotka tekevät jo tuhannessa leffassa jo nähdyt virheet. Ja loppuylläri my ass! * /5
May 3, 2018
Pop sci-fi horror with plot holes. If that doesn't put you off, it's actually a reasonable monster on a space station movie.
April 29, 2018
I didn't watch all of this movie, but what I saw made me realize why I am so glad I didn't pay for a ticket to see it in the theatre and waste my time as well. The writing is ridiculous. At one point, the creature is outside the ship trying to get back in. The crew decides to let it in, trap it in a part of the ship, remove "life support" and so kill it. "Where there's no life support, there's no life." Unfortunately for the writers, most people remember the fine film GRAVITY during which we learn (if we didn't already know) that LIFE IN SPACE IS IMPOSSIBLE. Therefore if the alien is able to crawl along a ship on the OUTSIDE where there is no atmosphere or life support, what good is trapping it in a part of a ship with no life support? HOW STUPID does Hollywood think we are?
April 28, 2018
I loved this! I really, really enjoyed this film immensely! I wasn't always able to follow the action scenes, but that is a minor issue. I guessed the ending a few minutes before it became apparent that I was correct, but it was satisfying nonetheless. Bravo! Bravo!
April 28, 2018
takes a while to pick up but once it does.... Calvin turns out to be quite the nasty little critter...
½ April 25, 2018
Similar to the original Alien movie, it becomes a survival horror on a space ship. Some cool ideas were included for the creature itself. Not bad.
½ April 11, 2018
Offers just enough suspense and unease to almost make one forget the fact they are watching a group of astronauts fight the offspring of an ameba and jello while delivering excessive dialogue that is as unsettling as the premise itself.
April 9, 2018
Good space horror, but disappointingly inconsistent.

The first part was wonderfully tense and evoked a nice sense of paranoia. The music was very ominous and there was a sense that something's wrong, or is going to be wrong soon. Then it just kind of wobbles around during the second act, feeling like it's going through the motions of a claustrophobic space horror movie checklist of events. It was hard to keep my attention on the movie at times, some scenes during that second act just dragged and were badly paced. It simply wasn't consistent.
Then the third act kicks in and it manages to end the movie on an impressively morbid note.

Jake was awfully underutilized, his characterization was lacking, kind of a waste of his skills. I can understand why it happened though, he was just 1 guy out of a team of 6. They all needed time in a short movie, it was destined to happen. The other people in the cast were well done; the Russian mission captain, the wheelchair bound biologist, Ryan's mechanic type guy. Everybody had a distinct personality. Just sad that they couldn't be used in more creative ways.

There were some nice looking shots here and there, but mostly they were just serviceable. The music did a better job, especially during the ending scene. It just kicked it up a notch and instilled this terrifying sense of doom and horror. Beautifully done against what was happening on screen.

The creature's design itself was great. Creative, very alien (although a bit squid-y), intelligent looking.

The movie fumbles but in the end manages to pull it together for a nice finisher, but those mistakes and parts of bad execution do take this movie down a couple of pegs. Would love to see a sequel though.
½ April 9, 2018
like others have said, treads down the same themes as alien (1979) i.e. some people in space vs the perfect organism that will stop at nothing to survive. Mostly pretty generic but the finale does make up for it.
½ April 8, 2018
Always welcome a decent Alien creature feature, and this one passes the test.
½ April 5, 2018
Solid sci-fi alien movie. Good actors, reasonable story writing.
March 28, 2018
Could have been so much more than a retard octopus in space. None the same a decent Tuesday night no-brainer on Amazon prime.
March 24, 2018
WORSE SPACE CREW EVER
½ March 24, 2018
It gets really close into creating an experience truly resembled to what Alien accomplished back in the day and, although perfectly decent acted and modestly directed by Daniel Espinosa, this "stranded-in-space" thriller delivers the right amount of suspense and, at times, gore, but unfortunately it doesn't do enough to offer neither something fresh nor truly original, aside of impression in the visual department, and significant eye-candy due to its cast.
½ March 14, 2018
Thrilling, creepy, good script, well acted. Thr plot has some holes and is jumpy which makes it confusing. At times I found my self saying "really?" Overall it was unite good.
March 14, 2018
Alien kinda film. Very well directed and specially acted. My only complain is the lack of originality.
March 3, 2018
This movie is really good, it keeps you on ur seat till the end, and the ending really is a great twist
½ February 18, 2018
Really really terrible movie. So bad it made me write my first online review. Granted it has some pretty good special effects, but that's it's only redeeming feature. The storyline is so bad, even a child would be embarrassed to admit writing it. Unimaginative, predictable, dull, full of plot holes, clichéd, scientifically inaccurate and unbelievable. Do I need to go on? Avoid like the plague.
February 17, 2018
Wow, so Life (2017).. overall I really loved it EXCEPT ending. Everything you could hope for in scifi horror with good characters, somewhat good acting (literally no reaction to pain?), well shot. The ending (1 minute) though.. Laugh out loud terrible. Doesn't ruin- recommend! B+