Life - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Life Reviews

½ March 14, 2018
Thrilling, creepy, good script, well acted. Thr plot has some holes and is jumpy which makes it confusing. At times I found my self saying "really?" Overall it was unite good.
March 14, 2018
Alien kinda film. Very well directed and specially acted. My only complain is the lack of originality.
March 3, 2018
This movie is really good, it keeps you on ur seat till the end, and the ending really is a great twist
½ February 18, 2018
Really really terrible movie. So bad it made me write my first online review. Granted it has some pretty good special effects, but that's it's only redeeming feature. The storyline is so bad, even a child would be embarrassed to admit writing it. Unimaginative, predictable, dull, full of plot holes, clichéd, scientifically inaccurate and unbelievable. Do I need to go on? Avoid like the plague.
February 17, 2018
Wow, so Life (2017).. overall I really loved it EXCEPT ending. Everything you could hope for in scifi horror with good characters, somewhat good acting (literally no reaction to pain?), well shot. The ending (1 minute) though.. Laugh out loud terrible. Doesn't ruin- recommend! B+
½ February 14, 2018
Had the same cliche ending where the Creature comes to earth and supposedly dooms all of humanity
February 10, 2018
A little alien struggles against all odds to make it to earth and make new friends.
½ February 10, 2018
Found it more tense and enjoyable than Alien Covenant. Overall, I thought it was well done. Didn't go overboard in the time, and Kelvin was one creepy creature. The twist at the end many might see coming, but for some reason, I didn't.
½ February 9, 2018
Absolutely lunatic and sadistic movie.
½ February 8, 2018
Life fails to be any more then just a Alien rip off filled with cliche and predictability. Though it has good performances, the screenplay fails the film. Its twists are very predictable and not even creative. This is a forgettable si-fi that is one to miss.
½ February 6, 2018
A team in space find life in space and it slowly grows into a man eating machine. one by one it picks off the team. A great modern sci-fi thriller with a great cast. Well worth a watch
½ February 5, 2018
Why bother when alien already did it so much better
February 1, 2018
Terrifying to think about.
½ January 30, 2018
This is a horrible, dark, pointless, depressing and horrifying movie.
January 29, 2018
So many holes in the plot. Great acting, but the enemy is just a bit too much. Couldn't buy the premise even in the grips of the most terrifying scenes. And the ending? Come on. Want to watch an edge of your seat flick set in space? Skip Life and watch Gravity again.
January 28, 2018
This movie had me hooked from the get go; it was fast paced, humorous, thrilling and really suspenseful. Some of the plot was a tiny bit clumsy and relied on the crew's mistakes, but if everyone followed protocol and acted rationally, we would never have any horror movies. I am not usually a space/alien movie watcher but I thoroughly enjoyed this movie and would watch it again.
January 26, 2018
Overall, "Life" was an ok movie, with good acting, and thrilling scenes. First I'm going to start with the things that I liked about the movie. First of all, the film was gorgeous. There were many shots of earth in the movie that were beautiful to look at. It had an great soundtrack, that made certain scenes even more intense. It had a great cast including Jake Gyllenhaal, Rebecca Ferguson, and Ryan Reynolds, and there were certain scenes of the movie that were absolutely thrilling. I think that there was one thing in particular that saved this movie, but it goes into spoiler territory so I will not mention what it was, and the reason I say "saved" this movie is because there were a good amount of things that I did not like about this movie. First, are the chiches. There are many survival movie cliches in this movie. The one's that stand out the most are the "person makes dumb decision cliche" or the "guy tries to be a hero cliche" or the "something else happens on top of the main problem." Second, there wasn't enough character development for me to really care about any of the characters or worry for their safety. Whenever there was a character in danger, I didn't care about the character, I was just paying attention to the intensity of the scene. Another thing that bugged me was the movie was MOSTLY predictable, but I think the thing that I disliked the most about was the script. The dialogue between the charcters is very cringey, and didn't really add anything new to the genre. It reminded me of the first "Alien" movie, or a "Gravity" with aliens and gore, or whatever you want to call it. So in the end, "Life" was an entertaining, but predictable and is just like every other "stuck in space" movie and it deserves a 3/5.
½ January 23, 2018
I decided there is not much I can say about "Life" without spoilers, so even though I know no one is reading this, I am going to go ahead a pop a spoiler tag on this one. Just in case you know. Stop now if you don't want spoilers. I went to the movies this weekend not because I was particularly dying to see this movie, but my roommate was out of town and I didn't want to be left alone with my thoughts for too long, or I may start questioning my existence. Again. So I went to see "Life", and oh boy. I was intrigued by the unlikely bro-mance that the dreamy pair of Jake Gyllenhaal and Ryan Reynolds have been advertising on this press tour. And "Spirit in the Sky" is in the previews, so I thought this may be up my alley after all.

I didn't have much expectations other than "scary space movie", but it was more of a horror than I anticipated. In the previews it seemed like it would be more lighthearted than it ended up being. We had about 30 minutes of goofy science time, and then quickly took a turn towards darkness that we never came back from at all. Once the "alien" made its first move and killed one of the crew members (Ryan Reynolds! Right off the bat!), everything escalated through the systematic execution of the the rest of the space station by the "Alien"-like alien.

Lots of jump scares later and one final twist at the end that I only figured out right before the reveal, the film ended with an unresolved horror that that cut to black right as Greenbaum's guitar riffs starts. 5.5/10
½ January 23, 2018
takes a while to pick up but once it does.... Calvin turns out to be quite the nasty little critter...
½ January 22, 2018
Not bad at all. A better science fiction thriller than any of Ridley Scott's recent offerings.