The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou Reviews

March 20, 2018
Delightful performances, direction, production design (the list goes on and on) makes this another cinematic treasure by Wes Anderson.
March 7, 2018
Puntaje Original: 6.0

Con un ya patentado estilo cinematográfico de Wes Anderson, The Life Aquatic with Steven Zissou puede no ser su mejor trabajo, contando un una desencajada conclusión y exóticos efectos por CGI.
½ February 15, 2018
Why does this film exist? Who thought this was a good idea for a movie? I mean Wes is a fantastic director, so it looks pretty good; I just don't understand how anyone could think this was a good concept.
½ February 13, 2018
Not my favorite Wes adventure, but weird enough and funny enough to enjoy.
February 3, 2018
The Life aquatic has great performances from Bill Murray and Owen Wilson. The movie tells a competing story with a even better art style. I only have a couple flaws with the film. They include, The ending of the film, and the rushed ending. But besides that, this is a great film that I can recommend to anyone.
½ January 4, 2018
Great artistic film by Wes Anderson with signature photography. The story is interesting but not what I expected.
December 29, 2017
Great fantastic phenomenal movie starring bill Murray, Owen Wilson, william Defoe and a whole lot of other amazing actors/ actresses. I don't know why this phenomenal movie has a 56 percent on rotten tomatoes. This film is up their in the best Wes Anderson movies, he never goes wrong and not with this movie. The colors and cinematography is great and the costumes that the actors wear in the film is exceptional. I will definitely watch this movie again.
December 20, 2017
You can tell this is the film where Wes Andersen started perfecting the balance between emotional weight and comedic lightness.

The characters rule, and I think I might have developed a celebrity crush on Cate Blanchett here.
½ December 20, 2017

[Wes Anderson]
December 14, 2017
I have not seen all Wes Anderson films, but as of now "The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou" is by far my least favorite film of his. While I do think the film is beautiful and colorful from the visual standpoint, I did not find any of the characters likable or charming. They are so smug and insufferable that I was already bored 20 minutes into the film, which never happened from watching a Wes Anderson film. I do not deny its uniqueness or whimsy, but I find it incredibly self-indulgent and pointless.
December 6, 2017
Probably the most critically underrated film in history. A true gem!
½ November 12, 2017
It's like a stage play and a closet musical in film form. Steve Zissou channeling Wes Anderson, saying, "I mean, obviously people are going to think I'm a showboat, and a little bit of a prick. But then I thought... that's me. I said those things, I did those things," is what makes this movie fresh.
½ October 31, 2017
While certainly not Wes Anderson's best work, "The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou" is still an enjoyable ride almost all throughout. I think the main issue for me with the film is the tonal inconsistencies therein. Films like "The Royal Tenenbaums," "The Grand Budapest Hotel," and "Moonrise Kingdom" definitely handle the more higher-tier, comedy-to-drama tonal shifts better than this one does, but - make no mistake - when this movie's emotional atmosphere is "on," it's really "on," particularly in the third act. Anderson's trademark humor is there, but in smaller and more minute doses than in some of his other works. The cooky characters are present too, but don't expect all of them to be as well fleshed out as in Anderson's other works. Things are just a bit more complicated here, but it's still not a regrettable watch at all.
October 6, 2017
I love this move. It's brilliant and hiariohilarious. I has some of my favourite actors. The soundtrack is the best.
September 25, 2017
Excellent acting paired with an original plot make this film one of Wes Anderson's best. The characters are easy to love and make for a dynamic experience. The prop's are charming and inspiring just enough to stir up the right and left of your brain.
August 7, 2017
I've grown to like the quaint set designs of Wes Anderson's films, and as I was already subject to Bill Murray's somber apathy in Broken Flowers I could decipher the nuance in his performance here, and it fits very well. It's very much like The Big Lebowski in the way of plot, though rather than the Cohen brothers' gags it has Wes Anderson's quirky charm that gives the film something to say instead of a hilarious lack thereof.
½ July 25, 2017
A unique and whimsical film that pushes the modern canvas to its most imaginative potential, and a vision that's uncompromisingly bittersweet and colorful.
½ July 22, 2017
Not too good of a movie. The cinematography and style was neat, but that was it. The story was pretty pointless. The music was okay (Thought the placement of Sigur Ros was good). But, it wasn't a very memorable movie
½ July 11, 2017
A great and complex movie that becomes more interesting the longer you think about, but without the downside of alienating the audience. The movie is full of charm and character. While the director's love for the subject material is made very apparent, he doesn't hold back in making fun of it either which is very refreshing. Also, probably my favorite performance by Willem Dafoe that I've seen so far.
July 10, 2017
This movie is very underrated compared to Wes Andersons other work this movie has great visuals and a great cast as always, and has the same filmmaking style as all the rest of Wes Andersons previous movies, so I don't get why this movie is hated on so much it's a very good movie.