The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou Reviews

October 28, 2016
My fav movie of all time!!! A must see!
½ October 23, 2016
Una de las mas desiguales de Wes Anderson. La historia de un excentrico investigador marino y su disfuncional familia tiene sus subidas tanto como sus bajadas. Entre lo que vale la pena son las animaciones de Henry Selick, y las canciones al portugues de David Bowie. Con reservas.
October 8, 2016
Wes Anderson's weakest film (maybe?). It's got all the trademark style, but not so much of the charm and whimsy that usually follows. It's not terrible, but unless you're a fan of his already, I'd say pass.
September 26, 2016
The best part of Wes Anderson's stories are the way wherein they are told and acted, as well as the actors involved. I love Wes Anderson's style, though I don't think this is his best movie.
½ August 30, 2016
A worthy successor to Buckaroo Banzai. Like Banzai, this is one of those movies where you either get it or you don't. If you do, this movie is a lot of fun.
August 23, 2016
People don't seem to like the Life Aquatic as much as Wes Anderson's other movies. I can't understand that as I think it's great. The whole cast is excellent and it's possibly Bill Murray's best film since Groundhog Day. Yes it has Anderson's twee, quirky style - which you'll either love or you hate, but it's as funny as anything he's done and has more emotional weight than some of his films. Great Buckaroo Banzai inspired end credit sequence too.
August 20, 2016
Beautiful quirky graphic style, but the dialogue was blah and Steve Zissou was not a likable character. Only Owen Wilson's heartfelt earnestness salvaged the film for me. I liked the story and dialogue in Fantastic Mr Fox and Grand Budapest far better.
August 9, 2016
A clear mockumentary, and yet also a strong homage and celebration of Jacques Cousteau and the age of daring exploration. This is a film that you really have to watch for yourself to see if you can like it. Some people will not. Others with different tastes might see the nods and nuances included within, and understand what the director and writers were getting at. Let your heart warm from the cold depths of the ocean, and just watch for yourself. Art takes itself to the right audience, so find it where you will.
July 25, 2016
Anderson's greatest work to date! This one has everything: it's a sprawling action/adventure; full of idiosyncratic jubilance and a firm sense of melancholy .
½ July 5, 2016
fun and well done in almost every aspect. The only time I found something that wasn't great was a action sequence that shows that Anderson isn't experienced in action directing.
½ June 14, 2016
I like the soundtrack probably more than the actual film, but worth a view!
June 7, 2016
Most under appreciated film of the 2000's.
May 16, 2016
This film's pointedly eccentric exterior turns out to be a desperate attempt to disguise a wandering, pointless, ham-fisted drama, interspersed with bits of dead-faced comedy that are so infrequent as to be off-putting. In fact, director Wes Anderson was apparently so interested in creating conflict between the characters that he forgot to explain why they started liking each other again near the end.
Neither the (very) occasional chuckle nor the mildly interesting visual style are worth slogging through this waste of potential.
½ May 16, 2016
4 words describe this movie for me, "Breath of fresh air". I really liked this movie! This is the type of movie that you either leave thinking wow that was genius, or you leave thinking, what the hell was that? It depends on how you view it. it is everything the common movie is not! And I mean that in a good way!
April 18, 2016
Not the best Wes Anderson's best movie for sure, it has its funny moments, but the movie as a whole is empty and too long.
April 14, 2016
Another brilliant entry by Wes Anderson, Life Aquatic is criminally underrated. Characters that are interesting, an atmosphere that's immersive, and stop motion sea creature eye candy. I'm baffled that this movie holds only a 56%. A must watch for any movie lover.
April 11, 2016
I have to admit that this is my least favorite Wes Anderson film, if only because it feels like more of an arty exercise than a film, like those involved may be having fun, but the audience might not. Maybe it's my lack of interest in the subject matter (undersea explorers, et al.) or just that the story was boring to me on the first viewing, but even on a re-watch this one just never completely grabbed me.

That said, I will admit that it has come up slightly in my estimation, reflected in the current rating.

Rental? Hell, maybe it's your favorite, what do I know?
½ March 26, 2016
I really love the shooting, camera positioning and angles of Wes Anderson's movies, but the plots are often a bit confusing at times. Like they will
be going after one thing then suddenly mention something random and that will become the new goal. Sometimes I was a little lost but the style, the characters and the world the film was set in was awesome. While I'm here I'll also add I love the 'groups' in Wes Anderson's movies. The patrolling boys in Moonrise Kingdom, all the animals teaming up in Fantastic Mr. Fox and in this movie the whole crew with matching orange beanies.
½ March 13, 2016