Livide (Livid) Reviews

• Aug 06, 2019

After a bright start and an engrossing build up, when the horror element of this film takes off, it all gets a bit silly. The movie suffers from the "thats someone in make up, larking about" syndrome, after which it is hard to suspend disbelief. The weak ending only adds to the disappointment. A movie that you could tell the filmmakers think is better than it is.

• Oct 19, 2018

Wasn't creepy or scary, and no jump scares, so wasn't my cup of tea.

Wasn't creepy or scary, and no jump scares, so wasn't my cup of tea.

• Carlos M Super Reviewer
    Apr 02, 2018

What is the point of trying to make heads or tails of anything here or even looking for any sense if it is clear that the directors are only thinking about aesthetics and creating gorgeous set pieces? Besides, the film is completely unscary and just a pile of ridiculous clichés.

• Mar 27, 2018

This movie had so much potential. It creates an eerie and dark atmosphere perfectly, filling the viewer with dread. You get sucked in by the monsters and the unexpected characters. And then...the end. The end is the worst ending I have ever seen in a horror film, maybe second to The Mist. I have no idea why they went in that direction after being so incredibly successful in the first half. An absolute shame.

• May 06, 2017

They give a brief explanation and then, when you less expect it they throw at you a bomb of information, and that's how it needs to be.

• Feb 21, 2016

A French horror film with a creepy atmosphere. Must see.

A French horror film with a creepy atmosphere. Must see.

• Feb 04, 2016

A strange, excellent film.

A strange, excellent film.

• Oct 21, 2015

From the directors of "Inside", one of the gnarliest horror films I've ever seen, Livide goes in a very different direction and brings in the supernatural and what the story lacks in cohesion by the end, it more than makes up for it with a dreary mood and some actual scares! The film centers on a young woman who gets a job as a caregiver to the elderly and upon learning that one of her comatose patients may or may not have a hidden fortune in her mansion, recruits some friends to search for it, and they find more than they bargained for. Without spoiling what is going on, the patient isn't quite so indisposed after all and it becomes a fight for survival for the teens while they are trapped inside the house. Being a French horror film, the movie is of course subtitled (which is my preferred method of watching foreign films) but the copy I watched had TERRIBLE translation and while I could infer what was being talked about, it was still annoying as hell. Another perk to being a foreign horror movie is that they tend to be less concerned about reality and are more focused on scaring the crap out of you and on more than one occasion I got pretty spooked. The make-up and set design would be at home in Silent Hill and the tension you feel as they walk through the dark, empty house is unbearable at times. As said, the story (in particular the ending) doesn't make a whole lot of sense and there were many plot elements that needed to be fleshed out; at times it felt like the film was incomplete. Not sure why they pushed the story so far off the deep end when it was already solid, but if you can appreciate the setup and proper scares it has to offer, it's worth watching and just accept that the ending will be weird.

• May 25, 2015

A creative and skilled blood lust horror film. If this had been Julien Maury and Alexandre Bustillos' first film -- I would be more impressed. But as a follow up to INSIDE, this film is almost weak in comparison. That aside, it is still a very creepy bit of Neo-Gothica. Most certainly it is well worth watching for horror fans.

• Nov 02, 2014

Nice and scary but in the end it falls apart.

Nice and scary but in the end it falls apart.