Local Hero - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Local Hero Reviews

July 20, 2016
Watched many times, still laugh. Ben on the beach is my favorite character.
February 5, 2016
one of my top 5 films. wonderful characters. whimsical story. beautiful performances. my favorite movie ending.
½ January 21, 2016
Local Hero is one of the most scatterbrained, poorly scripted, and utterly useless movies I've ever seen. It's the story of a guy who travels to a small Scottish village to buy their village for his oil company, but also while he's there he has a directive from his boss to look for a comet in the sky. Yes, as insanely unrelated as that last part sounds it felt 3 times more odd while watching the film. And, strangely enough, that's not even the weirdest thing going on in this movie. Yet, Local Hero is not presented as some farcical comedy, they seem to be playing it straight. Also there's a whole storyline about how the guy who came out to this village starts to grow attached to it for no real reason that we can see. Not to mention how he falls in love with the innkeeper's wife out of nowhere. I'm completely stymied trying to make a logical argument out of why this movie didn't work, but for me it was literally every single aspect that failed. It wasn't funny, it wasn't touching, the acting was bad, the plot made no sense, and the resolution was frustrating and pointless. Also the final resolution only made 3 people in the entire film happy, so really one could argue it was a sad ending. HATE is not a word I like to use that often for movies, I reserve it for really annoying or painful movie-viewing experiences. Local Hero was one of those experiences. It's so bland and dull in the tone and pace that I'm surprised it was even able to elicit this kind of ire from me, but it was just so lazy and poorly-executed that I wanted to scream. I'm surprised I even made it to the end.
December 16, 2015
Quiet, lovely movie.
November 3, 2015
Bittersweet. My favorite movie of all time.
October 24, 2015
Struggled to stay awake. It's immensely predictable and the "comedy" falls flat.
½ August 27, 2015
Egads! One of the worse movies I almost saw through to the end. I am not sure what film the critics saw when they reviewed it, but anyone giving this movie 5 stars should have their taste buds examined with a microscope. Poor writing, poor acting, and even poorer directing. Lacked coherence from the moment it started until the 35 minutes info it, where I had give myself permission to get off this train - life is too short.
December 29, 2014
An all time favorite. The humor is subtle and characters quirky yet believable. Add the visuals of the Scottish seaside and a score by Mark Knopfler and you can't help but feel good.
December 1, 2014
My favorite movie of all time! Watch it if you haven't already seen it.
October 6, 2014
My favorite all time film. Funny & intelligent with just a little bit of magic. The music is exceptional - so much so that Lord of the Rings "borrowed from it." I hope there's a blu ray coming some time soon.
September 6, 2014
A funny, delicate, and thought provoking movie.
August 31, 2014
Os motivos que levam "Local Hero" a ser um dos mais considerados feel good movies da década de 80 ultrapassam-me por completo. Pareceu-me aborrecido e por vezes oco. O poster é também muito enganador ao mostrar um Burt Lancaster que tem um papel importante, mas minúsculo.
August 20, 2014
What an interesting view of the Scotts the film makes have. One could almost be fooled into visiting after watching this. There is some good humour in this but with a good base it fails to take off to somewhere where it could have been hilarious. I wonder if Donald Trump has ever seen this.
August 11, 2014
Feel good, great date nite movie
½ July 30, 2014
Amusing subtle comedy. Stands up well 30 years on.
½ June 23, 2014
Handles itself like a true Scotsman. That is to say, drunk a lot of the time. Fantastic, all the same.
June 1, 2014
One of my top 5 movies of all time, this little gem carried me away the first time I saw I in the theater. A bit of magical realism and an economic story that remains relevant today. If you have never seen this gem, order it on Netflix and enjoy.
May 31, 2014
One of the rarest hidden treasures. A sheer delight for all the senses.
May 17, 2014
A delight of a film! A subtle, delicate little comedy with real heart to it. Fantastic performances from Burt Lancaster and Peter Riegert, this is surely one of the best British movies of the 1980's. The tale of a money-driven American oil giant employee, who is sent to Scotland to negotiate the purchase of an entire village and it's beach for his employers, and how he gradually falls in love with the place. A hugely relaxing film to watch, that just leaves you with a smile on your face :)
March 28, 2014
A great film, one of my favorites of all time.