The Longest Day Reviews

• Aug 31, 2019

enjoying new world for sometime

enjoying new world for sometime

• Jul 18, 2019

One of my favorite black and white films that has aged pretty well. It is looooooong, but the movie is called the longest day.

• Jun 15, 2019

I used to think I liked this movie, but seeing it again today it comes off as cartoonish. The characters are stock, often ov r-played. The gum-chewing bad boy from the Bronx. The ignorant old French mom. The hot resistance woman with the perfect hair. Regardless, there are some nice shots, though the lighting is garish, especially the staged "outdoor" studio shots. Many of the exteriors toward the beginning I can now plainly see as composited. Much of the dialog is "shouty" as in live theater. Interpersonal exchange lacks intimacy. Though Richard Burton is alaways a pleasure, just to hear him speak. He keeps the director (there appear to be 4) under control. "Realism" has today moved on. In this movie, the sets are too clean, the language unrealistically puritan. I didn't make it through the movie this go-around.

• Jun 10, 2019

Great movie...long plot line for somebody like me. Definitely shows a lot of historical relevance with some narrative added.

• Mar 23, 2019

The Longest Day is one of my favourite WWII movies. I've seen basically ever war movie from 1930's to the 1990's but Saving Private Ryan iS ONE OF THE WORST WAR MOVIES IVE EVER SEEN. THE LONGEST DAY DOES A MUCH BETTER JOB REPRESENTING THE DDAY LANDINGS. OVERALL LONGEST DAYS Gets A 10/10 Saving private ryan gets a 0/10

• Feb 01, 2019

The best, GREATEST thrilling and inspiring epic movie ever made!

The best, GREATEST thrilling and inspiring epic movie ever made!

• Nov 15, 2018

This film is a very good one, and it is amazing how much they achieved for the time. This pretty much is the grandpa to Saving Private Ryans Beach landing scenes; and while it doesn't show the brutaility of war like its younger version, it still captured the spirit of the battle while also showing the events play out from both sides. If you enjoyed Saving Private Ryan, give this one a watch as its main focus are the beach landings.

• Aug 31, 2018

Although long (very long), it is without a doubt one of the best war films ever. Incredible special effects, fantastico plot and casting very well chosen. Without a doubt a movie that everyone should see

• Aug 15, 2018

An overindulgent war epic. The Longest Day is massive and lengthy as its name implies. It is probably about a half hour too long. The story itself is rather disjointed. We get almost 2 hours of context and introductions before the invasion, then all the action feels endless. The excessive number of leads and extras leads to you zoning out and not focusing in one the characters, but rather the events as a whole. The Longest Day does an incredible job giving you all the details of this historic conflict, but it feels like far too much. The editing is all over the place, randomly cutting from person to person, often with no regard to the audience trying to keep track of all these men. It's actually too much of a good thing. The Longest Day can boast its meticulous recreation of D-Day's battles on the beaches of Normandy and in the towns of France, but they go on forever with everyone just going through the motions. The acting is hit or miss. With such a large cast of famous actors, every few moments you'll be saying, "oh, it's that guy!" but their actual performances leave much to be desired. The Longest Day has an all star cast of legendary figures in cinema, but wastes most of them on bit parts and supporting roles. I cannot even remember most of their lines or moments. The action is exciting, if long winded. The mini models still look neat, but the on location stuff is still excellent. The occasional green screen looks terrible and fake now. The military outfits look period accurate. The sets are massive as the battles themselves. The Longest Day is certainly a large production. Overall, The Longest Day is worth a watch as a piece of film history wherein every major movie star of the day (1962) got a small role. It's massive battles rival any war film's efforts, but the movie is bogged down with too much exposition with no feeling, constant switching of characters, bad green screen backgrounds, mediocre acting, and aimless plot. I still think The Longest Day is an enjoyable, yet flawed movie all the same.

• Jun 29, 2018