Love Liza Reviews

• Oct 03, 2017

Subtly funny. If it wasn't for Philip Seymour Hoffman's acting and the unopened letter that his wife who committed suicide left him I don't think it would have held my attention. That said, there's something special to the whole of it. It's believable, so much so that it feels hopeless, but that's kind of refreshing. Movies with an unhopeful plot try to be hopeful and it's uplifting but not real. When someone you're close to does themself in, all you can do is rough it and do your best I guess. That's what this movie shows. In other words, it's okay to be a fuck up (and sniff gas) when everything around you is fucked up.

• Jan 02, 2016

Worth watching for a look at personal loss and one man's inability to cope without extreme measures. For me, a memorable performance from Philip Seymour Hoffman.

• Sep 12, 2015

Hoffman is brilliant as usual, sad in retrospect. Underrated film, black humor is done very well. A great great film about suicide and its consequences, score by Jim O'Rourke is excellent in itself.

• Jul 31, 2014

Philip Seymour Hoffman gives a poignant and all too honest performance in "Love Liza", a movie held together by its actors and the intimacy of the story and photography. Desperation has rarely been portrayed this strongly and it's painful to watch--not unlike watching a friend you love gradually losing the ability to cope over a short period of time. The ending, it must be noted, is the perfect note to end this gripping low-key drama.

• Mar 29, 2014

A very sad and brilliant look at dealing with loss. A man's wife commits suicide, he struggles to come to terms with it and is unable to read the note she left him. An amazing performance by Philip Seymour Hoffman, one of the best even by his standards. Personally, I think it's one if the most depressing films I've ever seen, but that's not a bad thing, it's a great thing.

• Mar 12, 2014

Phillip Seymour Hoffman playing a man struggling with addiction now makes more uncomfortable viewing than it would have done at the time. This is actually classed as a 'tragicomedy' but I didn't think there were really any laughs in it. But as so often with Hoffman you can't fault his acting, as he gives added depth to what is a pretty slight film.

• Mar 08, 2014

Great performance by Hoffman.

Great performance by Hoffman.

• Mar 05, 2014

We all deal with things differently. "I am a huge fan of radio control!"

We all deal with things differently. "I am a huge fan of radio control!"

• Feb 16, 2014

A brilliant yet depressing look into the grieving and coping of the loss of a loved one. Philip Seymour Hoffman gives a riveting heart felt performance

• Feb 03, 2014

Really beautiful and sad little movie. The music is absolutely perfect throughout.