Lovely Molly - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Lovely Molly Reviews

August 10, 2016
This film had some good ideas, but it wasn't executed properly. The audience shouldn't have to do research after the fact in order to better understand the story line.
July 27, 2016
Written and directed (and edited, if you care about such details) by Eduardo Sanchez (one half of the Blair Witch creative team), Lovely Molly follows newly weds Molly and Tim who, after their wedding, move into the family home and house of Molly's deceased parents. We get the obligatory things-that-go-bump-in-the-night (doors opening themselves, rattling doors, voices etc) but things soon take a more unique turn as Molly's disintegrating mental state coincides with an escalation of unexplained nocturnal occurrences. Sanchez makes good use of suspense and atmospherics leading up to a blood soaked but ambiguous conclusion, the film being a springboard to explore subjects such as substance abuse, mental illness and child abuse. I'm still not quite sure what to make of this one but it will leave you thinking and stay with you for sometime afterwards. Definitely one of the more original horrors of recent years.
½ June 17, 2016
there's better ones out there, but this wasn't that bad -- the beginning is kinda iffy, but i liked how the end played out.
½ May 25, 2016
Lovely Molly starts off pretty weak and will be boring to most viewers but only gets better as the movie goes on and the story unfolds. I do have to praise it for the amount of tension and suspense that it builds, the stunning performance from Gretchen Lodge, and the creepy lighting & atmosphere. If you're trying to get your horror fix then Lovely Molly will most likely satisfy, however it wouldn't be one of my top suggestions
October 31, 2015
151031: Ok, I'm officially scared. Why the f**k I watch films like this, by myself, on Halloween night it totally beyond me. Was going to do "Halloween" (1978) again but no, had to watch one from my unseen, dollar store pile. Well, this film slowly sinks from something that had me jumping in the first half to something that is charged with demonic violence, sex and gore in the second. Strange film. Had me searching for an explanation afterwards, from Wikipedia to the extra features. Fun hour and a half I guess.
October 15, 2015
So you do spend the whole movie guessing what is wrong with Molly, but I find the ending quite disappointing. But this movie is beautifully written, acted and filmed.
June 28, 2015
Don't let the lack of a sensible ending ruin this eye opening film made by the original Blair Witch filmmakers. Beautiful actress carrying the weight and nude through most of the film didn't hurt lol. A definite recommended watch!
½ April 25, 2015
My expectations were initially low for this movie considering all the negative reviews and the simple fact that it's a horror, and I was in no way surprised or wrong. This movie carries out a woman's descent into evil as she relives her horrific past. The plot seems reasonable until you watch this failure.
April 25, 2015
The movie opens with a newly wed couple moving into the wife's childhood home where crazy horrors begin to happen. Although the film showed potential at the start, the events began to deteriorate with over sexualized scenes and ludicrously dramatic sequences. Very poor directing and casting that led to a devastating failure.
April 9, 2015
confusing, the movie couldn't explain itself. I had to go online to read information on the movie to find out what was going on. If you have to do that then something is lost in translation!
March 7, 2015
This film proves why critics aren't always right. Unnerving, unsettling and a proper good horror movie
½ November 15, 2014
This poor girl is so freaky and satanic it's almost too nasty to watch.
November 2, 2014
Long and boring. Ending has some creepy scenes but the rest of the movie is blah.
October 3, 2014
One of the most underrated horror films, in my opinion. It is very claustrophobic, dread-inducing, and creepy. Definately one of the best independent horror films that I've seen.
October 2, 2014
Had its moments but overall it was a silly cliché horror movie, oh I don't say I could watch it home alone. Had this movie in my archive for so long and I finally got the chance to watch but hey I could very well live without it. The acting wasn't awful to my surprise though.
½ September 23, 2014
It's been done before, but I like the atmosphere. A lot.
½ September 20, 2014
A supernatural horror story that is shot for a good part on a handheld camcorder, which I feel didn't add anything to the story or the mood trying to be established. The acting is okay. Not much tension was built - creaking noises don't frighten me or give me creepy feelings. No scares or frights or creepiness. Gretchen Lodge does get naked - a lot. Not quite good enough to recommend.
August 27, 2014
Bad movie. It's slow, the plot is unoriginal, it's not scary, nor creepy, and not put together well. The film tries to be more of a psychological thriller meets family drama rather than a horror film, but it doesn't even do that well. One of the only things that can be said positive about it is Lodge's disturbed and committed performance to the crazy role of Molly.
July 28, 2014
Not really sure how I felt about this movie, I felt like there were parts that made it seem like it had a lot of potential but then it got pretty lame.
July 26, 2014
Horrible movie about a woman with alarming mental issues and her stupid friends who ignore them until they themselves are harmed