The Man From Laramie Reviews

• Feb 09, 2020

The movie was great, but Rotten Tomatoes deserves a green splat for using "automatic rifles" in the description.

• Aug 19, 2019

A decent Western, but certainly not one of James Stewart's more memorable films. I expected a little more. (First and only viewing - 8/18/2019)

• Aug 08, 2019

Each association of Mann and Stewart had excellent results, this being the last of the series that began with "Winchester 73" in 1950. Here the scenery is also one of the most important factors, specially that it was filmed in Cinemascope. Top notch western. I have always felt Jimmy Stewart made the finest westerns, and this is one of his best. He is excellent, and the supporting cast is great as well, mainly Donald Crisp and Aline MacMahon. Great production values, well written, good color cinematography and better than average period detail. It rises above most westerns because it has more than just a basic plot, there are complexities to the story and the characters. More violent than most westerns from this period. Director Anthony Mann does a great job developing the story and characters. Cathy O'Donnell is surprisingly effective

• Apr 24, 2017

Good classic western movie

Good classic western movie

• Kevin M. W Super Reviewer
    Feb 19, 2016

Beautifully filmed and chock full of the wide ranging Western vistas the genre demands, the stranger (Jimmy Stewart) comes to town to find revenge for the death of his brother. The acting is okay here but it has trouble when up against a script like outta of some juvenile detention facility, as clunky as Lincoln Logs.

• Nov 14, 2015

160117: James Stewart has always bothered me because, in his westerns, he often plays characters that have no sense of self-preservation. In The Man from Laramie, Stewart's character Will Lockhart continues on with this trend. Lockhart would have driven John Wayne and Clint Eastwood nuts. Add in the rolled up flood pants and, well, Lockhart couldn't be more...annoying. In reflection however, and upon writing this review, perhaps this characteristic is what made Stewart special to so many? He was not your typical hero but he always seems to prevail. Besides Lockhart, The Man from Laramie features a couple other mentionable characters. The easily hated, curly haired Dave (Alex Nicol) is the personification of weakness. And Chris Bolt (Jack Elam) the definition of creepy. Sadly, Bolt doe not get much screen time and is underused. To sum up my review, and in an effort to keep it short, I found The Man from Laramie a very enjoyable western. Even considering Lockhart's flaws, or perhaps because of them, The Man from Larmie is classy and fun. Not lets not discuss an exploding wagon.

• Sep 16, 2015

Well made western, maybe not the most well written for character motivation, but still good. 1001 movies to see before you die.

• Sep 12, 2015

This was the last of director Anthony Mann's collaborations with James Stewart and I've always felt that this was the toughest of all their films together. The opening scenes where Stewart is brutalized by Donald Crisp's idiot son, who also killed his brother are pretty tough little scenes, especially considering this was still the mid 1950s. Those scenes do a great job of setting up Stewarts revenge, which is a major plot point of the film, although this film also has some elements of "King Lear" with Crisp having three potential heirs to his rancher throne. Arthur Kennedy plays one of those potential heir as the son Crisp wishes he had. It's a smart story and tougher than most pre-revisionist westerns. As westerns go, this one is a real classic.

• Sep 09, 2015

Jimmy Stewart and Director Anthony Mann made great movies together, including westerns like this. What was great was how we got to see the hard edge that Mann could apply to Stewart's performances. It was great to see how Stewart could expand his acting range like he did. With these Anthony Mann westerns, we got to see what an excellent actor Stewart was. In this film, we are introduced to a King Lear scenario. In Shakespeare's Lear, a king is late in his reign and divides his kingdom among his daughters. As in Shakespeare, tragedy follows. We do have elements of that here. With it, we have Stewart seeking vengeance for those who sold repeating rifles to Indians who killed Stewart's brother. The film is very well made, with an especially subtle score by George Duning, who scored many other westerns. The film has many good elements. But, it has the feel of having a script that was chipped together. There is a very good through line to the story, but we get a lot of Stewart refusing to leave town, but not telling anybody why. This gets repeated many times. But, when the film gets to focusing on the matters at hand, it works, and the conclusion is very satisfying.

• Jun 30, 2015

Once a man starts lying he can't stop. A man who wants to keep life simple and sell his cattle to the countryside is approached by a cattle baron's worker one day and forced to take matters in his own hands. The cattle baron takes notice and has his son and #1 employee try and recruit the stranger. The stranger instead works for his biggest rival. A feud of epic proportions is about to unfold. "I always believe I belong where I am." Anthony Mann, director of El Cid, Winchester '73, The Glenn Miller Story, The Fall of the Roman Empire, The Tin Star, The Naked Spur, and The Far Country, delivers The Man from Laramie. The storyline for this picture is interesting and unfolds well with a slightly predictable ending. The cast delivers solid performances and includes James Stewart, Jack Elam, Arthur Kennedy, Donald Crisp, Cathy O'Donell, and Frank DeKova. "We don't speak the same language." This movie was recommended to me via Verizon Fios so I DVR'd this classic western. This was an above average addition that was worth a viewing. This isn't epic and far from Stewart's best film, but it is definitely worth a viewing and adding to your collection if you're a fan of the genre. "I was expecting you." Grade: B-