The Man with the Golden Gun - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Man with the Golden Gun Reviews

½ January 20, 2017
Good movie overall, classic James Bond movie with the bad guys, girls, and cool toys including the Golden gun
½ January 15, 2017
One can't much consider 1974 Bond entry "The Man with the Golden Gun" to be a bad 007 feature as much as a Bond entry riddled with tonal errors additionally affected by missed opportunity. It seems prepared to deliver the sort of winking humor to be found in a particularly teasing episode of "The Avengers" but undermines its potential for campy guffaws either with a complete lack of comic timing or with more obvious stabs at rib-licking that suffer from severe tone deafness. It seems ripe for a Bond girl who doesn't perpetually wear passivity like a gold bikini - our girl Friday is an MI6 employee - but sabotages any sort of equality with a clodding characterization and with the tendency to ogle rather than to revere. It's fattened with visual pleasures but undercuts aesthetic delight through feverish exoticism that sooner or later starts to resemble xenophobia.
And yet "The Man with the Golden Gun," like even the worst of the Bond franchise, is able to capture our imagination against the odds, even if that capturing requires us to silence our reservations and transform ourselves into passive audience members with a spy movie fetish. Because Roger Moore's at his most assured in the film and because the movie is gorgeously produced - eye candy is delectable, widespread, and persuasively alluring - the incomparable intrigue the series has become renowned for in its fifty-plus years of existence is still very much there. With a near lethal dose of recurring dose of idiocy, sure. But still there.
Acting as Moore's second outing as the legendary secret agent, being preceded by 1973's similarly tonally shaky "Live and Let Lie," "The Man with the Golden Gun" finds his Bond searching for the Solex agitator, a powerful solar weapon with the capability of incurring widespread devastation. In the possession of Francisco Scaramanga (Christopher Lee), an enigmatic assassin who likes to kill with the eponymous golden gun, 007 must race against the clock to prevent Scaramanga from going through with his plans to utilize the agitator as a weapon of mass destruction.
Trotting all around the globe offhandedly and handsomely (finding stunning scenery in Thailand, Hong Kong, Macau, and Beirut), "The Man with the Golden Gun" moves fast but only slightly moves us - it diverts on the most shallow of levels, but because we have nearly ten years of Sean Connery to compare it to, it's passable if still competently made.
Detrimental, too, are Ekland, as Bond's apparent wingwoman Mary Goodnight, and future "Fantasy Island" co-headliner Hervé Villechaize. Ekland has all the personality of a saucer-eyed amateur who learned her lines phonetically (her dullness as an actress certainly not helped by the film's insistence that she be an ornament rather than a mover and a shaker), and Villechaize, though fine, is hard to watch plainly because the movie views his dwarfism as a comedic element, an attribute that only exaggerates "The Man with the Golden Gun's" issues with his assemblage of alleged humor.
But the movie isn't without its successes. Lee, a three-nippled scoundrel with the face of a cobra, makes for one of the franchise's most underappreciated villains - he arouses fear not because he's operatically evil but because he's an observer, a man who can smell one's susceptibilities and exploit them with ease. The film becomes exciting, immediate, whenever he steps into the frame. Maud Adams, the film's resident secondary Bond girl later to find herself primary just nine years later with "Octopussy," is a sinuous knockout who matches Lee's frosty inclinations.
All is packaged neatly if uneasily, and so "The Man with the Golden Gun" is a mixed bag, a slight satisfier all dressed up with some places to go and with some places briefly visited and some outrightly ignored. Take it alone and it's a mostly effective popcorn flick. Take it with consideration of the rest of the Bond zeitgeist on the side and it's maybe an abomination. I'll take it either way, but that doesn't necessarily stop me from seeing the virtues that sometimes flavor the scenery.
½ January 4, 2017
141008: 9th Bond Film. I enjoyed this film. J.W.Pepper appears. He's worth 3.5 stars alone. Chew Mee, too brief of an appearance. Ms. Goodnight, though a ditz, looking fine. I don't know how to describe what I felt about this film other than this: Gun is the first of the Bond movies where it all started to feel right for me. Not dated, no cheap but right. A true spy movie. Looking forward to moving down, or I guess up, the list. As a car guy, it's neat to see AMCs throughout. Obviously they sponsored this film.
November 22, 2016
Another more fantastical Bond from Guy Hamilton grounded only by a powerfully engaging villain in Christopher Lee's Scaramamga. Rushed into production and released only a year after Live and Let Die, it shows. The action, though varied is less memorable, save the incredible 360 degree car spin jump. Roger Moore's portrayal of Bond is colder and harsher here too which doesn't really suit him. It's a weaker Bond for sure but is somewhat redeemed by a truly great villain in Scaramanga who gets nearly all the best lines in an otherwise average script.
½ November 21, 2016
boring mess story is horrible all the characters are bad bond himself can't save this one definitely one of the worst in the series
½ October 31, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: This film makes an attempt to add a bit of depth to Moore's Bond. Christopher Lee delivers an excellent performance too, and the whole experience is aided by a great plot that winds up to a very good final sequence
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: You thought 'Live and Let Die' was a bit silly? Well I don't know what they were thinking in this one, but the humour which charmed in the previous installment is now in over-abundance.
VERDICT: Thanks to all it's stupidity and goofiness, this is pretty cringey to say the least. It is still fairly enjoyable if you look past all that though.
½ September 13, 2016
The second film in the Roger Moore/007 era, is also one of the silliest James Bond movies ever made.

With underwhelming action sequences, a paper thin plot, and surprisingly childish humor, it fails to live up to it's predecessor.

What saves TMWTGG from being a total cinematic failure, is the charming performance from Roger Moore as JB, and an excellent villainous performance by Christopher Lee.

*Next up: The Spy Who Loved Me
½ September 5, 2016
This movie was such a huge dissapointment when i watched it for the first time because the theme was great the idea is brilliant and the movie... well it a huge pile of **** it literally is just that bad. Its major problems are the fact that it has a horrible plot one of the worst bond girls (probably due to the plot) aswell as a bad performance by Roger Moore. The movie is full of stupid stuff that is supposed to be funny such a sheriff peppers who is just a stupid little side character who nobody wanted to see return from live and let die. The movie has its moments such as the opening the credit sequence and the time Scaramanga spends on screen. I feel bad for Christopher Lee and hes great performance as Scaramanga he is one of my favorite villains, in my least favorite Bond movies... The fact that bothers me so much about this movie is that it is so easy to make it interesting and exciting but instead we have to put up with horrible a horrible plot bad acting by Moore and the bond chick one fat sheriff and her wife. I guess what i am saying is that i would love to see a remake of this movie with a better plot a better bond actor and a villain atleast almost as good as Chistopher was. My apologies for the bad language
August 27, 2016
This is the 9th Jame bound movie and it better then the first 8. It has a great story line it also has great acting. The spy who loved me is better. But still this a great movie. See it.
August 7, 2016
Formulaic but enjoyable Bond

The Man With The Golden Gun features all the standard Bond elements: a crazed villain poised to take over the world, exotic locales, a car chase, and a close escape from a secret base that's about to blow up. The direction is fairly pedestrian, but the location photography is good, Christopher Lee plays one of the more interesting Bond villains, assisted by Hervé Villechaize, later of Fantasy Island fame, and Brett Ekland is one of the more enjoyable to watch Bond girls. Rated PG for occasional language, sex, and violence which are all fairly mild by current standards. I saw this in the digitally restored MGM Home Entertainment standard DVD, which was very good quality.
jamrcla
½ July 29, 2016
Roger Moore makes Bond his own in his 2nd outing after Live And Let Die was pretty terrible it would take something special to win fans back and while it's much much better than his first movie fans may dislike it as it has a different feel to most Bonds, The story is more simple so we get to enjoy the film easier, Christopher Lee plays a good villian but is not used to his full potential, There was some good action scenes but not allot of them, Also some good stunts plus one of the best stunts in the 007 is ruined by adding a stupid whistle sound effect, It's more gripping than most Bonds and the end was ok but nothing new, Moore makes up for his shocking debut with some class.
½ July 25, 2016
3.5 out of 10:

What could've been a different story in this Bond flick is wasted by a sluggish pace.
½ July 24, 2016
Underrated. Christopher Lee makes this film as great as it is. Also Roger Moore makes a very sad attempt to be like Connery by slapping Andrea in her apartment. It doesn't work at all. Other than that this film is really well done. Good car chase.
July 23, 2016
While it lacks in comparison to the other Roger Moore films, The Man With The Golden Gun is good, albeit a slightly cliche Bond entry.
½ July 21, 2016
This is Roger Moore's best outing as James Bond. Bond in this movie is a skeptical agent who essentially just wants to get the assignment over with. Never has a Bond movie felt like Bond just wanted to do whatever it takes to just end his current assignment.

With a villain who has a wacky-warehouse full of mazes and tricks, Christopher Lee gives a completely memorable performance as Scaramanga; one of the best Bond villains out there. Perhaps one of the biggest faults though to this one is a car-flipping sequence that uses a slide-whistle. For a film that was going along with a decent tone, that cut completely shatters the tone.
½ July 18, 2016
While Live and Let Die (1973) made no strong impressions on me as an action film or an entry into the 007 film series, the introduction of Roger Moore's charms compelled me enough to come back for a second helping with The Man with the Golden Gun.

Guy Hamilton's last two entries into the 007 series have failed to entertain me with Diamonds Are Forever (1971) being excessively campy and Live and Let Die (1973) being too simplistic and dull. With The Man with the Golden Gun, we see a return to form for the director and the series. It's not back to the top form of the series' glory, but it's certainly a step back in the right direction.
Alas, it is not much of a big step. Once again, the 007 series finds itself with a lack of action. There are few stunts in the film, minimal deaths, no high-octane gun action and a distinctive lack of gadgets. With all this over the course of two hours, there is little exhilaration to find in the experience. As a result, audiences are left with a very talkative film once again. The lack of action drags on for a long time throughout The Man with the Golden Gun and manages to push on until the end which leaves a long experience short on much of the distinctive 007 iconography. However, there are many bikini-clad women in The Man with the Golden Gun and several moments of borderline nudity in the film. Naked women are disguised by the glass in shower panels or the water they are submerged in, but viewers can make out just enough to get a sufficient amount of arousal.
The other gimmick that The Man with the Golden Gun boasts is a sense of humour. While not too popular with critics, The Man with the Golden Gun maintains a better sense of humour than Diamonds Are Forever because it gives the film a lighthearted feeling without completely detracting from the serious nature of the narrative. This plays into slight quips of the script at sporadic moments, but also into some cleverly placed physical humour. Part of this comes into play due to the presence of dwarf actor Herve Villechaize. Though he is never milked as a stereotype, The Man with the Golden Gun finds a clever way to implement him in for a few jokes here and there without getting excessive about it. The comic touch to The Man with the Golden Gun works to bring out more of Roger Moore's comedic charms which he displayed in Live and Let Die, and frequently it kept me distracted from the lack of action. Some of the humourous elements didn't work such as the addition of character Sheriff J.W. Pepper, but I didn't find all that much else to complain about in the comedy department.
The Man with the Golden Gun is heavy in dialogue and not always interesting as a result, but there is a lot of praise to be given about the character ambitions of the film. I cannot for the life of me remember or care enough to think about who the villain was in Live and Let Die, but with The Man with the Golden Gun featuring the legendary Sir Christopher Lee in the role it is a hard one to forget. Yet the film does not rely solely on him to carry the role. In actual fact, The Man with the Golden Gun does a good job of characterizing the villain. Antagonist Francisco Scaramanga is one whom is talked up by countless character which gives him a high status, and within the intro to the film we are immediately given a view of what he is capable of. We also gather that he is not a backstabber but rather a gentleman who takes pride in his killing through doing it as a gentleman. He is quite an interesting character and a very distinctive villain largely due to the fact that he has very similar capabilities to James Bond, so The Man with the Golden Gun displays a more character-driven film. There is a sense that the filmmakers choose to favour their attention on him over the actual hero of the 007 series, but given that there has already been eight preceding films to characterize James Bond it is refreshing that the filmmakers took an effort to give someone else from the universe actual relevance to the wider portion of the story. Giving the role to the great Christopher Lee just makes this all the greater.
Christopher Lee is an English actor with a long legacy of villainous role, so it seems perfectly befitting that he takes on an antagonistic role in one of the most distinctive British film series. With his own natural charm and sophistication, he manages to disguise villainy underneath his articulate façade. Yet there is still a sense of darkness which rests behind the stare in his eyes, and it's very subtle yet charmingly effective. He is never blatant with his motives or actions, he is reserved in his sadism and all the more interesting as a result. Christopher Lee presents one of the most memorable villains of the 007 series.
Roger Moore's return to the role of James Bond is a most welcome one indeed. Though there are few action scenes that boast the man's heroic potential, there is much more to embrace in the man's comic charms due to an increased sense of humour in the film. He flows with it easily and keeps his lighthearted charms and wits about him at every end, ensuring that he is a consistently likable presence. When Roger Moore goes up against Christopher Lee, the chemistry they share is incredibly engaging and asserts some of the most intense moments in the film. Seeing two grand English actors go head to head in The Man with the Golden Gun captures some of the strongest performances the 007 series thus far.

The Man with the Golden Gun repeats its predecessor's fault of formulaic narrative reliance and a shortage of action, but the abundance of dialogue is given more spark by the rich characterization of the films' central villain and the performance given to it by Christopher Lee, as well as Roger Moore's comedic charms.
½ July 17, 2016
Not bad. Moore isn't as funny as Connery but so far these seem more enjoyable overall. Plus the "da plane, da plane" guy is in it.
½ July 7, 2016
Great villain, great Bond girl, great movie. 93 out of 100
July 2, 2016
7/2/2016: The Bond girls were the only good thing about this film, otherwise it was dull and forgettable.
½ June 6, 2016
The Man with the Golden Gun is a very weak Bond flick with some fun and funny moments here and there, but for the most part being an uninspired and typical excursion with too silly and campy tone to it, weak characterization and a boring storyline. It isn't terrible, but it is quite mediocre.