The Man with the Golden Gun - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Man with the Golden Gun Reviews

May 26, 2017
The elegantly straightforward brief that sets 007 up as hunter and hunted is played out well as a cat-and-mouse thriller for the first half. After that is makes a sudden veer into farcical comedy with annoying or incompetent just for laughs, poorly-handled subversion of classic Bond elements and undermining of any tension that had built up. The remainer of the movie is held together as best it can by the top performances from Moore and Christopher Lee. Moore is given more to do than in his debut and is able to better define his Bond. Like his first mission this is filled with a lot of weird elements and odd decisions, but at least these ones are more memorable and more entertaining. It's certainly never boring and If you can manage to get past the change from what the film seemed to be based on its early promise, and take the rest for what it is, it has a kind of goofy, fun charm that's hard to hate, if not quite worthy of love.
½ May 23, 2017
It is a shame that Golden Gun generally fails as a movie because there are some fantastic elements such as Christopher Lee as Scaramanga, exotic Far-Eastern locations, a diminuitive French henchman, a cool funhouse set, and a particularly impressive car stunt. The script this time has called for some 'toughening up' of Moore's Bond which doesn't entirely work because his touch is light overall. In part, it does restore some gloss to proceedings after the comic-strip storyline of Live And Let Die but despite the aforementioned positive elements, it is a muddled, frustrating film. Entertaining? Yes. Tasteful? Barely, unless you consider the height of sophistication to be found in elephants, peanuts, and Sherrif J W Pepper on vacation! Oh, you do? Well, what can I say? Go nuts...
½ April 2, 2017
An overlooked classic in the James Bond series. Roger Moore walks between a serious and slightly comic take on the iconic British agent. The setting in Asian splendor is a real treat. Christopher Lee is one of the best balance in the series. Altogether very enjoyable movie.
March 20, 2017
Definitely one of my favourite James Bond films, mainly for sentimental reasons. It was the first one I'd seen because it's one of my dad's favourite. Fun to watch, and Christopher Lee plays a great villain.
January 28, 2017
Roger Moore's second adventure as secret agent 007. It's one of the better films of the Moore era, but the real star of Man with Golden Gun is man who wields that very weapon, Christopher Lee proves that an interesting villain can drive a movie forward just as much as a beloved hero.
January 24, 2017
Though it lacks many of the classic Bond tropes, I'd pay to see two more hours of Christopher Lee as Scaramanga.
½ January 20, 2017
Good movie overall, classic James Bond movie with the bad guys, girls, and cool toys including the Golden gun
½ January 15, 2017
One can't much consider 1974 Bond entry "The Man with the Golden Gun" to be a bad 007 feature as much as a Bond entry riddled with tonal errors additionally affected by missed opportunity. It seems prepared to deliver the sort of winking humor to be found in a particularly teasing episode of "The Avengers" but undermines its potential for campy guffaws either with a complete lack of comic timing or with more obvious stabs at rib-licking that suffer from severe tone deafness. It seems ripe for a Bond girl who doesn't perpetually wear passivity like a gold bikini - our girl Friday is an MI6 employee - but sabotages any sort of equality with a clodding characterization and with the tendency to ogle rather than to revere. It's fattened with visual pleasures but undercuts aesthetic delight through feverish exoticism that sooner or later starts to resemble xenophobia.
And yet "The Man with the Golden Gun," like even the worst of the Bond franchise, is able to capture our imagination against the odds, even if that capturing requires us to silence our reservations and transform ourselves into passive audience members with a spy movie fetish. Because Roger Moore's at his most assured in the film and because the movie is gorgeously produced - eye candy is delectable, widespread, and persuasively alluring - the incomparable intrigue the series has become renowned for in its fifty-plus years of existence is still very much there. With a near lethal dose of recurring dose of idiocy, sure. But still there.
Acting as Moore's second outing as the legendary secret agent, being preceded by 1973's similarly tonally shaky "Live and Let Lie," "The Man with the Golden Gun" finds his Bond searching for the Solex agitator, a powerful solar weapon with the capability of incurring widespread devastation. In the possession of Francisco Scaramanga (Christopher Lee), an enigmatic assassin who likes to kill with the eponymous golden gun, 007 must race against the clock to prevent Scaramanga from going through with his plans to utilize the agitator as a weapon of mass destruction.
Trotting all around the globe offhandedly and handsomely (finding stunning scenery in Thailand, Hong Kong, Macau, and Beirut), "The Man with the Golden Gun" moves fast but only slightly moves us - it diverts on the most shallow of levels, but because we have nearly ten years of Sean Connery to compare it to, it's passable if still competently made.
Detrimental, too, are Ekland, as Bond's apparent wingwoman Mary Goodnight, and future "Fantasy Island" co-headliner Hervé Villechaize. Ekland has all the personality of a saucer-eyed amateur who learned her lines phonetically (her dullness as an actress certainly not helped by the film's insistence that she be an ornament rather than a mover and a shaker), and Villechaize, though fine, is hard to watch plainly because the movie views his dwarfism as a comedic element, an attribute that only exaggerates "The Man with the Golden Gun's" issues with his assemblage of alleged humor.
But the movie isn't without its successes. Lee, a three-nippled scoundrel with the face of a cobra, makes for one of the franchise's most underappreciated villains - he arouses fear not because he's operatically evil but because he's an observer, a man who can smell one's susceptibilities and exploit them with ease. The film becomes exciting, immediate, whenever he steps into the frame. Maud Adams, the film's resident secondary Bond girl later to find herself primary just nine years later with "Octopussy," is a sinuous knockout who matches Lee's frosty inclinations.
All is packaged neatly if uneasily, and so "The Man with the Golden Gun" is a mixed bag, a slight satisfier all dressed up with some places to go and with some places briefly visited and some outrightly ignored. Take it alone and it's a mostly effective popcorn flick. Take it with consideration of the rest of the Bond zeitgeist on the side and it's maybe an abomination. I'll take it either way, but that doesn't necessarily stop me from seeing the virtues that sometimes flavor the scenery.
½ January 4, 2017
141008: 9th Bond Film. I enjoyed this film. J.W.Pepper appears. He's worth 3.5 stars alone. Chew Mee, too brief of an appearance. Ms. Goodnight, though a ditz, looking fine. I don't know how to describe what I felt about this film other than this: Gun is the first of the Bond movies where it all started to feel right for me. Not dated, no cheap but right. A true spy movie. Looking forward to moving down, or I guess up, the list. As a car guy, it's neat to see AMCs throughout. Obviously they sponsored this film.
November 22, 2016
Another more fantastical Bond from Guy Hamilton grounded only by a powerfully engaging villain in Christopher Lee's Scaramamga. Rushed into production and released only a year after Live and Let Die, it shows. The action, though varied is less memorable, save the incredible 360 degree car spin jump. Roger Moore's portrayal of Bond is colder and harsher here too which doesn't really suit him. It's a weaker Bond for sure but is somewhat redeemed by a truly great villain in Scaramanga who gets nearly all the best lines in an otherwise average script.
½ November 21, 2016
boring mess story is horrible all the characters are bad bond himself can't save this one definitely one of the worst in the series
½ October 31, 2016
WHAT I LIKED: This film makes an attempt to add a bit of depth to Moore's Bond. Christopher Lee delivers an excellent performance too, and the whole experience is aided by a great plot that winds up to a very good final sequence
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: You thought 'Live and Let Die' was a bit silly? Well I don't know what they were thinking in this one, but the humour which charmed in the previous installment is now in over-abundance.
VERDICT: Thanks to all it's stupidity and goofiness, this is pretty cringey to say the least. It is still fairly enjoyable if you look past all that though.
½ September 13, 2016
The second film in the Roger Moore/007 era, is also one of the silliest James Bond movies ever made.

With underwhelming action sequences, a paper thin plot, and surprisingly childish humor, it fails to live up to it's predecessor.

What saves TMWTGG from being a total cinematic failure, is the charming performance from Roger Moore as JB, and an excellent villainous performance by Christopher Lee.

*Next up: The Spy Who Loved Me
½ September 5, 2016
This movie was such a huge dissapointment when i watched it for the first time because the theme was great the idea is brilliant and the movie... well it a huge pile of **** it literally is just that bad. Its major problems are the fact that it has a horrible plot one of the worst bond girls (probably due to the plot) aswell as a bad performance by Roger Moore. The movie is full of stupid stuff that is supposed to be funny such a sheriff peppers who is just a stupid little side character who nobody wanted to see return from live and let die. The movie has its moments such as the opening the credit sequence and the time Scaramanga spends on screen. I feel bad for Christopher Lee and hes great performance as Scaramanga he is one of my favorite villains, in my least favorite Bond movies... The fact that bothers me so much about this movie is that it is so easy to make it interesting and exciting but instead we have to put up with horrible a horrible plot bad acting by Moore and the bond chick one fat sheriff and her wife. I guess what i am saying is that i would love to see a remake of this movie with a better plot a better bond actor and a villain atleast almost as good as Chistopher was. My apologies for the bad language
August 27, 2016
This is the 9th Jame bound movie and it better then the first 8. It has a great story line it also has great acting. The spy who loved me is better. But still this a great movie. See it.
August 7, 2016
Formulaic but enjoyable Bond

The Man With The Golden Gun features all the standard Bond elements: a crazed villain poised to take over the world, exotic locales, a car chase, and a close escape from a secret base that's about to blow up. The direction is fairly pedestrian, but the location photography is good, Christopher Lee plays one of the more interesting Bond villains, assisted by Hervé Villechaize, later of Fantasy Island fame, and Brett Ekland is one of the more enjoyable to watch Bond girls. Rated PG for occasional language, sex, and violence which are all fairly mild by current standards. I saw this in the digitally restored MGM Home Entertainment standard DVD, which was very good quality.
jamrcla
½ July 29, 2016
Roger Moore makes Bond his own in his 2nd outing after Live And Let Die was pretty terrible it would take something special to win fans back and while it's much much better than his first movie fans may dislike it as it has a different feel to most Bonds, The story is more simple so we get to enjoy the film easier, Christopher Lee plays a good villian but is not used to his full potential, There was some good action scenes but not allot of them, Also some good stunts plus one of the best stunts in the 007 is ruined by adding a stupid whistle sound effect, It's more gripping than most Bonds and the end was ok but nothing new, Moore makes up for his shocking debut with some class.
½ July 25, 2016
3.5 out of 10:

What could've been a different story in this Bond flick is wasted by a sluggish pace.
½ July 24, 2016
Underrated. Christopher Lee makes this film as great as it is. Also Roger Moore makes a very sad attempt to be like Connery by slapping Andrea in her apartment. It doesn't work at all. Other than that this film is really well done. Good car chase.
July 23, 2016
While it lacks in comparison to the other Roger Moore films, The Man With The Golden Gun is good, albeit a slightly cliche Bond entry.