Manto Reviews

• Jun 17, 2020

I particularly liked how Manto's stories were related to his own experiences. While I very much liked nawazuddin's acting, his accent was pure UP Urdu speaking accent. Manto was from Amritsar and must have had an accent closer to Punjabi speaking people.

• Oct 31, 2019

This movie a true work of art. Poetic in structure and script, as it seamlessly takes you through Manto's life and verse - intertwined in the most powerful, beautiful way. Every performance is exceptional - especially Nawaz and Rasika. It was fun and touching to see famous faces punctuating the stories. I have to single out Gurdas Maan, this movie reminded me after many years what an underrated treasure he is.

• Nov 29, 2018

What a brilliant film. Manto's stories are beautifully interwoven into the film. The directing is world class, the cast and crew have done a superb job, from the filming to the music and art direction.

• Sep 26, 2018

This the most significant movie of our times.. Freedom of speech, opinion and expression is primary to human existence, the core of the movie aligns with this thought. A must watch movie.

• Sep 24, 2018

I loved certain aspects of some tight shots. Overall movement of camera was good. I loved the seamless transition to his stories which seemed like seeing from his eyes (POV). I didn't like the editing. Background score was too standard. Nawazuddin was spectacular. Dialogue writing (I know it is Manto's writing) was thought provoking and witty. Pace was a bit off. Didn't feel a continuous stream of consciousness that flowed through the movie. Did make me want to read Manto though since certain thoughts were extremely powerful.

• Sep 21, 2018

No Heroworship... shown the way it had to be Shown.

No Heroworship... shown the way it had to be Shown.

• Sep 21, 2018

The movie lacked poignance but overall was a solid one.

The movie lacked poignance but overall was a solid one.

• Sep 16, 2018

Its Nawajuddin, of course the movie will silently super hit.

Its Nawajuddin, of course the movie will silently super hit.

• Aug 12, 2018

A very well made biopic. The difference between whats reality and what is a story within the story was very well differentiated with characters acting in a bit dramatic matter. Nawazuddin Siddiqui has more than enough justice to the character. Sreekar Prasad's seamless editing also deserves a mention. If not for some scenes that feel force fitted For eg. "Hiptulla(you will know what it is when you watch the movie)" it would have been one of the best.

• Jul 09, 2018

Watched it at the Cannes Film Festival. Masterfully directed, interesting, historically accurate sensitive drama with a little touch of romantic fantasy.