Mark Felt: The Man Who Brought Down the White House - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mark Felt: The Man Who Brought Down the White House Reviews

January 14, 2018
Excellent docudrama and review of another crazy political time. So timely given recent events in US. Makes me wonder who the next deep throat will be?
½ January 12, 2018
This isn't an entertaining movie, it's more like kinda of documental
January 7, 2018
After watching 'All the President's Men' it was interesting to see a different prospective. A brilliant film. Those who don't understand it should watch All the President's Men first.
½ January 4, 2018
Liam Neeson is fine in the role of Mark Felt, and the subject matter itself is deeply intriguing, but is dealt with in such an odd way. Bad odd. It is essentially a sequence of disparate scenes with no connective tissue other than that they are about the same conspiracy, which unfolds very quickly in a straight line with no consequences felt... Felt... Ohhh. I see what I did there.

Maybe for a diehard political biopic fan this could be the way to go, or someone who wasn't aware Watergate ever happened and wanted some hard and fast facts, but for me, it was only okay.
December 29, 2017
Prea procedural, Neeson e bun, restul asa si asa
½ December 28, 2017
It baffles me that any filmmaker could screw up making a movie about Mark Felt. How is it possible to fumble a subject so timely, important, historic, and filled with all of the great cinematic trappings. I'm left baffled by the movie Mark Felt: The Man Who Brought Down the White House. This Liam Neeson-starring drama should have been a slam dunk. This a subject that should be front and center in the day and age of a President who faces pressures that only Richard Nixon could truly relate to. https://geeks.media/movie-review-mark-felt-the-man-who-brought-down-the-white-house?_ga=2.88424923.1126457623.1513947710-953607229.1513947710
½ December 24, 2017
This is not the best film made from the watergate scandal. That said it wasn't totally bad. The story is done in a fair manner but you feel it's missing key elements regarding historical data. I think they tried to simplified it too much. That said the acting was the most interesting part. Liam character is subtle in terms of emotion, giving only small gestures. It may seems one key note acting, but it's more putting a facade to protect itself. We get a brief glimpse into his personal life, maybe not enough. I give it a 70% for the acting, but I wasn't impress with the over simplification and how the film is edited in general.
½ November 19, 2017
I really wanted to like this film. But -- in the end I thought it was just "okay." Wasn't blown away (by acting, writing, etc).
½ November 15, 2017
The timing of this release felt opportunistic and thus the rushed production showed. The additional emotional contributions enhanced a very dull factual historic presentation.
½ November 5, 2017
Avec Mark Felt, nous sommes bien chez Peter Landesman. Le film est un exposé complet, pas très bien filmé (le parti pris de tout filmer avec une sorte de filtre bleu sans lumière est assez agaçant par moments) mais rempli de données, d'informations et d'arguments d'un événement qui chamboula l'Amérique, avec un acteur connu différent à chaque plan. Liam Neeson retrouve un registre plus calme qui lui sied à merveille, tandis que tous les autres sont au diapason. Il n'en demeure pas moins que, pour une fois, Landesman s'égare quelques fois, surtout dans la dernière demi-heure qui conclut bien trop vite une histoire qui mériterait presque une mini-série. Peut-être que son avenir se trouve à la télévision. Le film reste une oeuvre compétente qui a des choses à dire, de manière maladroite, certes, mais des choses à dire tout de même.
½ November 2, 2017
A rather well done film about a character named ?Mark Felt? and Nixon.
November 2, 2017
Probably will wait for it to become available on Netflix streaming or some such. Curious to seee the backstory of "Deep THroat."
November 1, 2017
US citizens of a certain age will find this film enlightening: even if you lived through the Nixon era the perspectives of this film maybe fresh material is not previously been revealed. The acting was above average, The settings were accurate, and the script was believable. People who lived in the US during the 1970s will find it enjoyable as I did.
October 31, 2017
Really enjoyed the film!
½ October 27, 2017
Yikes, I hope if you go see this you are a historian. I was sadly lost though most of the film as it expects you to have a pre-existing knowledge of the events, and goes so far as to assume you know the full background without giving any real explanation.
October 26, 2017
Jeez.

Somebody even published this rendition?

I've had better times anywhere.
October 26, 2017
Very good movie. I contend the persons and reviewers who gave it a negative review lacked either the patience, the intellect, or the necessary knowledge of this historical event, to actually appreciate the movie.
Nate Z.
October 22, 2017
We've seen this story before, the efforts to uncover the Watergate scandal and its sloppy cover-up from the perspective of Washington Post reporters Woodward and Bernstein who tirelessly collected clues, followed leads, and investigated the facts. That movie was All The President's Men and was terrific. This movie is all about Mark Felt, the man who was the "Deep Throat" confidential informant, and it's a bit less than terrific. It's hardly even a movie because Felt's story just isn't that interesting. The film offers little new insights into Felt as a character or his personal struggles working against his own government. The FBI director is portrayed like a glowering Bond villain. The other characters come in and out, leaving little impact except to remind you that they're famous. Felt's personal life is also a bore, including Diane Lane in a thankless role as his alcoholic wife distraught over Felt being passed over as the new FBI director. He also has a missing daughter who ran off to a commune. There's one moment where Felt feels paranoid and tears apart his office, but then we simply move on. There's not enough here to justify a full-fledged movie. Whatever writer/director Peter Landesman (Concussion) does it's not enough to make this story interesting, and that's because Felt's involvement in Watergate is minimal at best. All the President's Men was about journalists uncovering the evidence and putting together the pieces. This movie is just about a guy who knows everything and has to get it out there. It's inherently less interesting. Even the subtitle of The Man Who Brought Down the White House seems misinformed; I'm fairly certain that was Nixon. The Mark Felt story was told better when he was merely a minimal figure in someone else's Watergate story. Just watch All the President's Men instead.

Nate's Grade: C
October 17, 2017
For those of us who know something about the Watergate scandal, it is fascinating to see how much further the Nixon corruption of the FBI, our justice system, and our democracy went. If not for Mark Felt, it could have gone much further. Given our Nixon-like current president, this movie is a very timely warning to us all.
I read some of the negative reviews, and it appears they were written by those seeking the action of a Blade Runner, not the power of a movie about a real life hero taking on the political powers through courage and communication; the way changes take place in the real world. Excellent acting and directing too.
Everyone should see this movie.
October 17, 2017
Waste of time and money.