Mary Poppins Reviews

• 3d ago

One of the worst films I've ever seen. Bad acting, bad music, and too long.

One of the worst films I've ever seen. Bad acting, bad music, and too long.

• 6d ago

Probably the only movie that makes 100% of an audience happy after seeing it.

Probably the only movie that makes 100% of an audience happy after seeing it.

• Sep 25, 2019

I did not grow up watching Mary Poppins, or much of any Disney classics for that matter. While it seemed like every other kid was singing songs like "The Circle of Life," "Beauty and the Beast," "The Bare Necessities," or "A Spoonful of Sugar," I was drawing pictures of Godzilla monsters, playing Star Wars with my brother by swinging headless golf clubs at one another, and pretending to be James Bond. I write this mostly for myself to psychoanalize why I'm 23 and only just now watching this classic for the first time, and it may simply be because its sequel has just been released and I thought I could take this opportunity to play catch-up. When else would I find the excuse to watch it? Would I have ever bothered watching Mary Poppins had its sequel not been released? Who can say? Over five years ago, when I was a senior in high school, my English teacher lent me his DVD copy of Mary Poppins because it was his favorite movie and he couldn't believe I hadn't seen it.
Like I said earlier, I didn't grow up watching this movie and I write these reviews for myself so I can refresh myself on the experiences I had with movies. So if you're not me, and you're reading this, then I suppose this is me beating around the bush to admit that I did like Mary Poppins, it was charming and enjoyable, but I didn't love it. Mary Poppins is strange for a children's film. The plot is exceptionally loose, its structure following suit, all while its character work is conventional. The film's primary goal is to dazzle and entertain with the spectacle of song-and-dance sequences of a wide variety. On that front, Mary Poppins certainly succeeds with catchy songs, great dance choreography, and an overall high energy bursting out of the screen! From the iconic animated sequence, to the iconic rooftop sequence, there is a huge amount of creativity, spectacle, and showmanship craft on display to capture the imagination. While I do find many of these numbers to be a little too long, and for there to be maybe a couple too many of these detours, I do appreciate the obvious work put into putting them on film. Outside of the musical element, there are the characters. Well, characters and actors, because the titular nanny and Burt the chimney sweep are inseparable from the actors who brought them to life, and for good reason! Julie Andrews and Dick van Dyke are magnificent and deserving of their decades of adoration, their screen presences are timeless! Burt in particular was my favorite character, and I was surprised by how strongly his relentlessly upbeat personality despite his lowly lifestyle resonated with me. Matthew Garber gets moments to shine when it really counts, and is able to do quite a bit of heavy lifting when the emotional crux rests in his shoulders. Glynis Johns has the thankless task of being the mother, but her upbeat energy is appreciated. The kids, however... were not good. All the singing was excellent (especially if that was really the actors singing) except for those kids. I suppose the biggest mixed bag here was the structure. I was surprised by how well the emotional core of the story plays, despite the movie not appearing to really have one until act three. What first appears as an excuse to hang a number of lengthy song and dance numbers on, reveals itself to have more meat on its bones, subversively accomplishing a lot with a little. However, the 140 minute runtime can sure be felt, and those big song and dance numbers sure do get tiring. I could have really done without the carrousel horse race, or Captain Boom firing fireworks, or how long that "Feed the Birds" song goes on for; but I do get why they're there, and if I were swept up in the experience as much as many others have been I'm sure I wouldn't have thought twice about those moments. Mary Poppins does feel like a classic. There's a feeling of watching something important when you watch it. The two top-billed actors are a joy, and the production is something to behold; but I wish I would have seen this when I was supposed to. I guess I can finally return my high school English teacher's DVD copy!
 7/10

7/10

• Sep 22, 2019

Amazing visuals, acting, and songs, this is a downright classic.

Amazing visuals, acting, and songs, this is a downright classic.

• Sep 22, 2019

Best musical ever. The original is absolutely amazing. Funny, supercalafragalisticexpialadocious. Excellent acting, great songs. When it first came out it was a box office hit. Must see and must get hold of the original vinyl record if you can as it's worth a lot.

• Sep 10, 2019

This review is unfair because I'm not fond of musicals. Mary poppins is considered one of the most classic musicals ever made. Julie Andrews is amazing in this movie from her introduction to the end. This movie isn't a pointless musical, since it does have life lessons involved. The choreography is excellent and the ending is very satisfying. Although this movie is loved, I find many flaws in it. The movie at specific points can get so boring to the point where you could fall asleep. Many scenes don't have any purpose or meaning later on in the story. These scenes make the movie extravagantly long which is very unnecessary. Kids cannot sit through a movie over 2 hours with their short attention spans.

• Aug 28, 2019

practically perfect in e

practically perfect in e

• Aug 20, 2019

Mary Poppins is Disney's masterpiece. Classic and brilliant.

Mary Poppins is Disney's masterpiece. Classic and brilliant.

• Aug 08, 2019

Classic Julie Andrews and Dick VanDyke

Classic Julie Andrews and Dick VanDyke

• Aug 04, 2019

Even as an adult, Mary Poppins has a way of making your day feel lighter. I love watching it with my children. It's timeless.