Mean Streets Reviews

• 6d ago

Raw Scorsese takes his baby steps on the directing helm with this unadulterated depiction of the suburban New York of the 70s.

• Aug 27, 2019

I can totally understand how this movie is looked upon with great reverence. Scorsese certainly created something interesting for the day and age, and furthermore put a few noteworthy actors on the map. It makes perfect sense that this project led to bigger and better projects and opportunities. I particularly enjoyed seeing it to observe Scorsese's humble beginnings and improving evolution as a talented filmmaker. This was very worth my time to watch, but I don't think that I'll be watching it again.

• Aug 11, 2019

Boring, badly edited, story was lacking, acting was over the top as if it was forced, zero indication of a real storyline. Basically this movie meanders around a shitty neighborhood in NYC with no aim or direction.

• Jul 29, 2019

This foreshadows Goodfellas, one of the greatest of all movies. Much of it is shot with a red lens, putting the viewer in the rough bars of Manhattan. Of particular interest is its religious themes, which play a large part in the main character's (Keitel) role, as he ponders heaven and hell. Of course, the period jukebox background score is present as in his later classics. A must-see for Scorsese fans - or anyone who likes gritty reality. A far better film than his more well-known Taxi Driver.

• Jul 25, 2019

A vastly overrated film who's principal redeeming feature is that it shows the potential Scorsese eventually grew into

• Jul 24, 2019

Simple yet effective

Simple yet effective

• Jul 22, 2019

No like Harvey Keitel. Movie need plot, not just walk around act ethnic. Blobbo turn off half way. (Where emperor' clothes?.)

• Jul 19, 2019

Barely any plot, drags on, ending lacks closer. NEXT.

Barely any plot, drags on, ending lacks closer. NEXT.

• Jul 15, 2019

The best Scorsese film before Taxi Driver. Mean Streets is a crime drama about the protagonist's internal dissension between his devotion to God and a life of crime on the "mean streets" of New York. A cogent film with themes of guilt, faith, and responsibility and with amazing performances from Harvey Keitel and Robert De Niro.

• Jul 10, 2019

Torture. Awful in every way.

Torture. Awful in every way.