Mean Streets - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mean Streets Reviews

September 11, 2018
This is essentially the roots of De Niro, Keitel and Scorsese and man are they strong roots. The exploration of the ins and outs of NYC create an incredibly immersive environment. Scorsese's use of long, wide takes with our characters in this environment gives one of the best "fly on the wall" experiences through these characters lives. And the conflict brewing between them isn't shoved in our faces or apparent as the thing that kicks off the story. We get to see these characters' lives and stories and it builds a natural conflict that we, the audience, can feel and understand more. Add the fact that it's lead by some of the best onscreen performances from De Niro and Keitel, Mean Streets ultimately remains a timeless classic that still holds up as one of Scorsese's best and one of the best crime dramas to date.
July 23, 2018
24/07/2018 - Good performances from the two leads, but nothing much happens!
July 11, 2018
What this movie is trying to say is that the best way to worship God is by caring for your neighboor. The message is provided in a kind of extreme way but thats what I got after all. The other 3 movies from Scorsese that I have seen I didn't like but this one ... man, this is good stuff.
May 24, 2018
Mean Streets remains one of the most important films of the 1970s. It made Hollywood take notice of Martin Scorsese and Robert De Niro, it laid the groundwork for the direction both their careers would take, and has a sense of realism that perfectly captures the decade. Both had made films prior to this, but none were able to show off their talents like Mean Streets did. For me, it falls slightly short of being one of Scorsese's masterpieces due to script and pacing issues. Harvey Keitel is a small time gangster trying to make a name for himself, and De Niro is his lose cannon buddy who screws up just about everything in his life. De Niro keeps screwing up, Keitel keeps trying to bail him out. That's about it. But, like I said, what the film lacks in story it more than makes up for with terrific performances, plenty of suspense and the fact it perfectly captures 1970's New York. Mean Streets may not be nearly as good as the collaborations that followed, but it's still a highly entertaining and important piece of filmmaking.
½ February 17, 2018
The struggles of Italians in New York City trying to make it big. 1001 movies to see before you die.
January 25, 2018
You know those movies that you are sure you are going to love even before watching it? Great director, amazing actors, part of the history of cinema. This was one of those. Then I watch it. And I didn't like it. Sorry Martin.
½ December 25, 2017
M-F

8.4

[Martin Scorsese]
December 19, 2017
Puntaje Original: 6.5

Scorsese muestra toda su calidad como director desde sus inicios, una magistral visión hacia la vida urbana de la comunidad italo-estadounidense.
½ December 2, 2017
Doesn't reveal its quality until the very end, when all that's on the table so far--friendships and family relationships, debts owed, "business" ambitions, a love affair and more--can't help but be cashed out. And what an ending. Unfortunately, though, after this many years, it kind of feels like an underfunded, underachieved Goodfellas. And if you're a De Niro fan, don't go into this thinking he's the star! I only knew a little about the movie before watching, and it took a while (maybe too long) for me to really invest in Harvey Keitel's character, Charlie, whose movie it actually is--I don't blame the filmmaker or Keitel for that though, that's my fault.
November 19, 2017
Simply because a film is old and is filled with an all-star cast, does not automatically determine it to be a masterpiece. RT seems to be biased in this regard. The plot is weak and the characters, for the most part, are hard to read with their inplausible mood swings.
There were moments of great acting, but the movie presented itself like a school play.
November 17, 2017
de niro is one of the best actors
October 6, 2017
Puntaje Original: 6.5

September 11, 2017
Mean Streets is an impressive beginning for Martin Scorsese's film career! With amazing performances from Harvey Keitel and Robert De Niro who give the film what it needs, Mean Streets is a spectacular hit.
June 30, 2017
Respeite sempre a sua Vibe!. Filme sensacional, com sua Direção original e espetacular do Scorsese, faz um trabalho brilhante no filme, sem contar na trilha sonora maravilhosa.
June 29, 2017
It's amazing to see that Scorsese started off with this film, I can see why this was the film that made him a house hold name.

Mean Streets is an instant classic that has heart and likability but that also doesn't beat around the bush. It was really great to see the friendship and bond that Keitel and De Niro have in real life within the movie.

Overall, a classic, great movie!
May 15, 2017
The beginning of the great Martin Scorsese. An incredible film that helped start the great gangster film genre. The camerawork by Marty is just some of the best you will ever see. A great soundrrack as well. The incredible script and acting (epically from Harvey Keitel and Robert De Niro) keeps this film going. The only real problem is their isn't much of a story. But all the other attributes of the film make this one a true gem. This film is one of the most influential films over the last 50 years. This films dialogue inspired the incredible dialogue you see in other Scorsese and Tarantino films.
½ May 6, 2017
Keitel and De Niro were great. A good film . was a benchmark for bigger and better things to come from Scorsese
April 14, 2017
Movie about a group of young friends (or maybe thugs?) who like having a good time together. Takes the gangster movies from the golden age and kicks it up a notch. More violence, language, and sex. But Scorsese adds religion too making it even more realistic. One of the best ever.
April 4, 2017
Been a long time coming for me watching this film and it was a weird experience watching one of the earliest films from Scorsese since I have seen plenty of his newer films and you can see where the ideas for those films came from with this one. The acting for starters is stellar with Keitel and De Niro leading the way, the rest of the cast is solid, I love the camerawork, the soundtrack is incredible, the script is decent and though the plot can be somewhat scattershot at times the main thread of the plot is solid. Not the best Scorsese has made but it was a great platform to launch a brilliant directing career from.
March 27, 2017
Raw talent on its way to being exceptional.