Meeting Gorbachev Reviews

• Jan 06, 2021

This documentary is one of the most important historical records of our time. Every school child in the United States (and their parent) should be required to watch. I remember these events and the U.S. press got it all wrong, preferring to elevate Reagan rather than take the opportunity for world peace. Reagan's legacy should be tarnished by this reality check. What a disgusting display of opportunism. The film also reveals the contrast between the humble home life of Gorbachev (as they visit his garden) and the gross opulence that surrounds U.S. politicians.

• Oct 29, 2020

Gorbachev is fundamentally an interesting character study - raised in the tumult of the Second World War in unremarkable circumstances, gradually rising to prominence on the back of reforms and internal changes, before overseeing one of the world's largest countries dissolve in the midst of substantial internal and external conflict. Too moderate for the conservative nationalists despite the efficacy of his international efforts, too Soviet for the rest of the world to really embrace, undeniably intelligent. But Herzog's attempt to document his rise, the balance of his success and failures, feels too sanitized, as if an old USSR review board had final cut approval. Still, the actual interview footage stands out among the otherwise relatively conventional documentary material, offering an often candid portrayal of a figure who inhabited a unique role in 20th century history. (3.5/5)

• Aug 24, 2020

Lessons from a man most politicians should learn from.

Lessons from a man most politicians should learn from.

• Apr 13, 2020

MEETING GORBACHEV is one of very few documentaries that actually falls a little short of my hopes and expectations for the content it provides and its quality. The archival footage used and the interviews do offer sufficient valuable insight, but I do feel the production (particularly the interviews themselves) has no enhancing or engaging elements to make this better than a stock-standard TV documentary.

• Apr 05, 2020

I'm not much into politics, but I'm indeed into Herzog. Here his sits down with the last President of the Soviet Union and have a chat about everything from his childhood, the love of his life and political wins and downers. Interesting guy, and a nice interview but it fails to interest me. One of the guys poorest, recent documentaries for me - but that's mostly a matter of the topic and not the film as a product. Sorry, Herzie, but I still love you. 5.5 out of 10 Presidents.

• Feb 17, 2020

A candid recollection of Gorbachev's memories and opinions about the Soviet Union. He is one of the few people in the USSR who was legitimately kind-hearted, well-intentioned and wanted what's better for everyone, with or without communism. Given all the horror stories I hear of Russian from my parents, and the current political landscape, the world is lucky that a man like this was given the option to lead a large state when it was an international "superpower".

• Dec 22, 2019

Even for those of us who see Herzog as too-frequently ridiculously self-important and imposing in his work, Meeting Gorbachev manages to be very moving, very sad, and an important, insightful portrait for generations who will look back at the end of the 20th century in great bewilderment.

• Nov 09, 2019

Thank god for Werner Herzog this documentary is one of his best. Gorbachev is an intelligent and interesting character to profile and Herzog is the best man to do it.

• Oct 17, 2019

'Meeting Gorbachev' is Werner Herzog at his most self indulgent. He claims that he needed to conduct the interview because it was at Gorbachev's request, but you can be certain it didn't take much arm twisting. There were questions and moments where the subject is engaged and honest, but more often than not because the last ruler of the Soviet Union doesn't really want open up, this feels like a missed opportunity. Gorbachev is a complex man and this is a surface doc. Final Score: 5.2/10

• Oct 03, 2019

Touching. Even if you already know this period of History, Herzog will show you the essence of the man, Михаил Сергеевич Горбачёв, and allow to see him as a tragic figure, almost emblematic.