Melvin Goes to Dinner Reviews

• Oct 07, 2012

A couple of young urbanites sitting around, having the typical conversations overheard late at night in a college dorm - except they are in their 30s. I felt like a conflicted voyeur, eavesdropping on a conversation that I really did't want to hear, and didn't feel a part of.

• Apr 10, 2012

• Jan 19, 2012

Great script & dialog.

Great script & dialog.

• Jul 27, 2011

Netflix recommended this movie, and it was available for instant streaming, so I watched it last night, and it is hilarious. It's a brilliant conversational comedy--in many ways, it's reminiscent of Woody Allen's films-- where the main characters discuss relationships, sex, religion, and even ghosts, and it has a fabulous ending.

• Jul 22, 2011

Melvin Goes to Dinner is about a group of people who have dinner one night in a restaurant where they share stories about their lives. Its really well written, as each characters talks about whats going on in their lives. Each character is hiding something and as the night progresses the secrets begin to come out. This may sound like a drama but its actually just as much an outlandish raunchy comedy, albeit it's almost entirely dialogue driven. After all, the film is directed by Mr. Show alum Bob Odenkirk. The film's cinematography is a little distracting being that its entirely handheld and I think it could have benefited from some better compositions at key emotional moments. The exception would be the flashback sequences which are entirely composed of still photography, which I found quite effective. Overall, its a well-written, funny and dramatic film about a group of friends, who don't see each other much, catching up over dinner.

• Apr 21, 2011

There's some really good dialogue here, but the writing itself is weak, as the film doesn't really know what it wants to be. Character development seems forced through the flashbacks, but it isn't helped by sub-par acting. Overall, it's entertaining but lacking depth, and the revelation about the little boy near the end feels tacky.

• Jan 22, 2011

Wonderful little indie film, that is completely centered around a dialogue between friends and strangers. As the cover indicates, the topics range wildly, starting off with the silly (ghosts) and ending up quite serious (romantic relationships, death). I found the conversations riveting and very organic, as the bottles of wine opened these individuals up to explore all their inner struggles.

• Jan 17, 2011

Great direction and script for this film. The sequences of how the dinner is brough forward is well put together and presented in interesting manners.

• Oct 20, 2010

Really good dialogue and writing in this movie saves what could have been a boring movie. It was really enjoyable and witty.