Miami Vice - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Miami Vice Reviews

October 9, 2017
I've noticed that virtually all of the well-known, top movie critics love this movie, including Peter Travers from Rolling Stone. Meanwhile, the second-rate movie critics do not like it.

Miami Vice is an outstanding movie. The more often I watch it, the more I like it. The acting performances are excellent across the board and Mann does a superb job capturing the palpable tension on the screen and the dangers faced by Crockett (Farrell) and Rico (Foxx). The gunfight at the end of the movie is mesmerizing. The New York Times voted it one of the top 50 movies so far of the 21st century, for crying out loud. I would put Miami Vice in the top 20, that's how excellent it is.
October 6, 2017
Critics only 47%? Stop hating in Jesus Christ name. This movie is clearly five stars hands down! The music, the mood, the setting, the cinematography, and the cast is just superb! Terrific job by Jamie Foxx and Colin Farrell. Oh and the villains, ruthless! I love Mr. Chewing Gum, see if you can guess what villain that is lol? They're inventive and believable! Have to watch it more than once to get a real appreciation. Go see it woohoo!
½ October 5, 2017
Like the atmosphere, nothing really sticks out. Simple story about drug deal. Liked the romance with Colin and gong
September 3, 2017
Miami Vice is violent and stylish; filled to the brim with explosions and chase scenes that more than make up for the lack of coherent dialogue. Jamie Foxx and Colin Farrell are Tubbs and Crockett; and they are a vast departure from the TV series. There are some incredibly tense scenes here and some real surprise too. Shock value seems to be a big thing with Michael Mann for this outing; however it is highly enjoyable and fast-paced. Often dismissed; it deserves more credit than it gets for being a truly great action thriller.
August 23, 2017
A typical cop movie.Hadn't good action scenes but i wasn't bored while i was watchin' it.I still dont't like Colin...Not a good actor for me,a repulsive person
August 17, 2017
Despite demonstrating Michael Mann's distinct visual flair, everything else about this version of 'Miami Vice' is about as far from the original, iconic series and its 80's vibe as you can possibly get. With an amateurish feel to it, from iffy acting and a lack of chemistry between the actors, right down to the simple, cliché plot being stuffed with unnecessary, distracting and, sometimes, outright confusing add-on elements, this certainly isn't Mann's best work. But, for the most part, what this film was in dire need of was some serious editing.
August 16, 2017
1972's The Godfather Is My Fourth Favorite Film Of All Time And 1994's Pulp Fiction Is My Seventh Favorite Film Of All Time As Well.
June 27, 2017
Bad movie. As much as I love Mann's beautiful eye for direction and the thrilling action in the film, the story is just heavily lacking here, the characters are never compelling and the performances are stale, especially Farrell and Foxx, who show no real chemistry in this movie at all.
May 10, 2017
Love the scenes from Cuba abd Miami. Great movie and action.
March 24, 2017
I appreciate that this movie wasn't about remaking the original characters but taking something that was television magic and making it cinematic. We didn't need Farrell's portrayal of Johnson playing Crokett. I'm glad Mann avoided that cheese and instead updated the concept, characters, and feel.
December 5, 2016
Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring Boring
October 8, 2016
The best crime movie ever made. Forget the panning critics. Even the boring bits and bad sound is a meditation on real life. Mumbling cops and lack of action is more real after all. Cue an epic score and sweeping camera work with light to die for and we have visual poetry in front of our very eyes.
July 29, 2016
Miami Vice sizzles and fizzles simultaneously. It lacks the scope and psychological depth of Heat and the momentum of Collateral. Yet it is a technical marvel that revels in its own visceral depth; gunshots thunder beside your ear; fastboats rumble and grumble like hungry bears; the lights of Miami and Havana glitter and dance seductively.

But where has gone the existential dialogue of Heat? Where has gone the audience's quandary in truly feeling for amoral, even immoral, characters--the challenge we so readily accepted in both Heat and Collateral? Where has gone substance?

The answer is that for Vice, style is the substance. Insight caves to sensualism to focus on what we see and hear. With Mann's craftsmanship, sensualism is often entertaining. His atmospherics are flawless. His soundscapes thrust us into the middle of events--but this sensualism is not enough to lift Vice to masterpiece. Its story needs characters that propel the story, not a story that propels the characters, and that is the vice of Vice. Events travel along and we feel they would occur with or without the hand of their participating agents.

The acting convinces, but there is little for the stars to act with. And yet the film is so visually and audibly breathtaking, it must be considered above the pale of most films of its genre. In sum, even with Mann at the helm, craftsmanship is no replacement for genius. Miami Vice is a lesser painting from a proven master.
July 17, 2016
Miami Vice is dull, boring, and just plain out absurd.
June 30, 2016
I don't know why this movie receives such bad reviews. The cinematography is outstanding. The plot is very sound and the music is fantastic. Lots of action but the love story between Gong Li and Colin Farrell is another dimension. I wish there was a sequel.
June 30, 2016
For a reboot (remake) this film shows just as much style and energy as the original. There's no real resolution to it (maybe it was intended to start a franchise?) but it blew the doors off everything else that was out that year. the one thing that's missing is that it's not a buddy movie. There's too much plot and too much squinting for that. Still, it's a great way to kill a Saturday afternoon.
½ June 30, 2016
La plus grande qualite de l'adaptation de Miami Vice par son producteur executif Michael Mann est aussi son plus gros defaut : le rapport ambigu qu'elle a avec le materiau original. En effet, si la relation entre les membres de l'equipe sont totalement laisses a l'abandon, le film parvient a s'affranchir de la serie tout en gardant le ton des dernieres saisons de celle-ci. En effet, tout est noir dans ce Miami Vice et Sonny Crockett gagne en epaisseur. Si Colin Farrell n'arrive pas a la cheville de Don Johnson, il livre une performance admirable dans un role quasi-muet (a l'image du film). Les rares scenes d'action sont d'une violence seche et efficace et la gestion de la bande-son est, comme d'habitude chez Mann, adequate. Il a beau etre un de ses moins bons films, Miami Vice reste un thriller assez original pour etre souligne.
June 30, 2016
Director's Cut is much better edited. This should've been the theatrical cut.
Nonetheless, a flawed film due to two stars with major issues, hurricanes, and last minute rewrites.
½ June 26, 2016
I'm not sure I can review this movie as my daily dialogue consists of more than three syllable sentences.  Ah, what the hell, I'll try!  This sucks.  Don't see it.