Pranzo di Ferragosto (Mid-August Lunch) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Pranzo di Ferragosto (Mid-August Lunch) Reviews

March 22, 2015
Mid-August Lunch is a light-hearted comedy that's amusing to watch from beginning to end.
April 16, 2014
A sweet and delicious comedy
September 13, 2013
Proves that a movie can have a simple premise but still be remarkable.
March 24, 2013
A delightful (short) comedy. Warm, caring but not maudlin.
December 30, 2012
Mid-August lunch surprised me with the degree of delight it provided. Don't we all want to move to Italy at some point in our lives? Throughout viewing I marveled at the realness of the character's acting. To my delight, I discovered that these women were not actors.. It is the genius of Gianni di Gregorio, actor, director and co-writer of the script that allowed him to draw such fabulous performances from these non-professionals. I felt like I was watching real life and loved what I saw. It buoyed the spirit. In my top 10 favorites.
½ September 5, 2012
I absolutely loved this film. It was, on the face of it, a gentle comedy with touching performance from some elderly actors. However, it was quietly subtle & when you learn that the old ladies were not professional actresses at all, it becomes an extraordinary film.
June 20, 2012
Bitter sweet comedy about a middle-aged Italian man stuck in the city during the summer holiday with his elderly mother. Poor Gianni ends up with a "grandma summer camp" on his hands. However, that is nothing that a nice glass of Chablis can't cure, and by the end of the movie, he realizes he's not that miserable after all in his new role.
June 18, 2012
This short but sweet film was actually extremely engaging. It also seemed to be a great snapshot of Italian culture. My husband and I are very interested in the culture and have heard how laid back and familial it is. You can definitely feel such characteristics in this film. I loved following Gianni around town and around his home. It's a simple story but it's done so well. It's a film that would be perfect on a busy day, allowing the viewer to slow down and enjoy the small things in every day life. A great film!
June 12, 2012
Warmly humorous and clever, with a leisurely pace and outstanding performances. Although it may seem like a laugh and that's it, it even reaches a pleasingly subtle depth.
April 21, 2012
Avant d'aborder ses déboires avec les femmes, Gianni di Gregorio avait parlé, toujours à sa façon semi-autobiographique, de ses déboires avec sa génitrice et ses copines du quatrième âge. Dépourvu de la plus petite once de prétention, tourné en toute simplicité dans son propre appartement avec de vieilles dames qui n'avaient jamais joué devant une caméra auparavant, ce "Déjeuner du 15 août" est une comédie légère dont l'attrait exotique pour nous, spectateurs nordiques, est de nous plonger dans le quotidien paisible d'un archétype italien : l'homme d'âge mûr, fauché mais combinard, plein de prévenance pour la figure sacrée de la Mama et pour qui toutes les occasions sont bonnes pour s'envoyer un petit coup de Blanc. Plutôt que de dresser un réquisitoire contre une société autrefois cimentée par la famille mais qui délaisse aujourd'hui ses Vieux, Di Gregorio préfère opérer indirectement, en proposant un regard tendre et empreint d'humanité sur ces octogénaires capricieuses, chipies et versatiles, qui ne quémandent au fond qu'un peu de compréhension et d'écoute.
March 30, 2012
If you think old ladies are awesome, this is the movie for you!
½ March 18, 2012
A charming and endearing Italian film....great acting from the cast. BTW note to Flixster, this film is called Mid-August Lunch not launch!
February 5, 2012
A sweet story but didn't do much for me.
January 31, 2012
Just a good fun movie, simple story!
December 7, 2011
These women! These women are marvelous.
November 27, 2011
Possibly the most tedious film I've ever watched.
½ September 26, 2011
Sweet little trifle of a movie. Love the old ladies.
August 28, 2011
Very enjoyable Italian film.
½ August 26, 2011
Dignity Is Not Just for the Young

On the face of it, this is from a culture which respects its elderly more than the United States. After all, the characters we see all live with their aged mothers still. Essentially all the main character seems to do is take care of his mother; certainly he doesn't have a job or pay his bills. However, it's quite clear that the more successful characters are happy to be shed of their mothers for the holiday. There's no implication that they've ever considered taking their mothers with them. The men have taken their mothers in because that's what society expects of them, but that doesn't mean the family is any closer. At least not in any way but physically, which is arguably the least important. In fact, I'd say it's considered an implication of failure on the part of the main character that he has time to spend with his mother instead of being off living his own life--even by the old women.

Gianni (Gianni De Gregorio) owes everyone. He spends all his time sitting around with his mother (Valeria De Franciscis), and it's going to get them evicted. But his landlord, Alfonso (Alfonso Santagata), makes him a deal. If Gianni will take Alfonso's mother (Marina Cacciotti) for the Ferragosto holiday, Alfonso will forgive the debt. He even sneaks Gianni a key to the elevator he isn't supposed to use in order to make things easier on the old ladies. Oh, and he doesn't quite remember to mention that his mother's sister, Maria (Maria Calì), will be coming along for the deal. Then Gianni has an appointment with his doctor (I'm not sure). The doctor suggests that he will accept a similar deal and brings over his own mother, Grazia (Grazia Cesarini Sforza). Gianni is given a care sheet for her, but Grazia is none to happy with the whole thing. The ladies are not all happy about the initial situation, and Gianni certainly isn't happy with having to provide the level of care they expect, but it ends well after all, sort of.

Really, all the women would benefit from some sort of senior citizens' center. My understanding is that there isn't one; presumably, church and family are expected to take care of that end of things. However, the women seem lonely. Alfonso is lying when he says that he's going to meet his family at a spa; Gianni sees him running off to meet a young girl. But even if he hadn't been, there is never a suggestion that his mother might enjoy going to the mud baths herself. She'd just be in the way. What's more, the women are all old enough so that their friends will have started to die. There's no way to be sure that they would have any friends left in the area--even if they're alive, their children might have moved and taken them somewhere across the country completely. What Gianni provides is not merely a place to stay. It's companionship. It's something as little as people who haven't heard all their stories and might be interested in their recipes.

Large amounts of the movie is five people sitting around in an apartment together. Gianni goes out at one point in search of a store open on the biggest holiday of the summer, and Alfonso's mother sneaks out to go sit in a cafe and drink and smoke, but that's really about it. It's interesting to note that the two women identified by name are also the two who get along best, but it's also worth noting that the characters never really need names. They are never really out of earshot, and they are never in need of a way to get one another's attention. The women are a burden to Gianni, but they are never such a burden that he considers that his life might be better if he went out and got a job instead. He's perfectly content to sit in the kitchen with his mother all day, and it's only when the women's determined personalities come in conflict that he really has any problems with them. It's a slow, quiet film, one that's really more intended to make us think about what life is like than anything else.

Also interesting is that these are not really professional actors. Gianni Di Gregorio was the director and co-writer. Three of the four women have no other film credits, and the fourth (Valeria De Franciscis) only has two others--both after this and one also written and directed by Di Gregorio. Admittedly, I'm limited in my research tools by the fact that I don't speak Italian, but it seems Di Gregorio himself is essentially a novice. This was his directorial debut, and he's only written eight screenplays. I can't help thinking that this is a second career for him, though I can't confirm that, given the aforementioned language barrier. Italian Neo-Realism, to which Di Gregorio owes a debt, also tended to feature non-professionals a lot, often to capture a more natural performance. Who better to know how to portray an old woman ignored by her family than an old woman ignored by her family? Not that I know anything about the women's families, either.
½ August 24, 2011
In "Mid-August Lunch," middle-aged Gianni(Gianni Di Gregorio, who also directed and co-wrote) takes care of his mother(Valeria De Franciscis). This leaves him with precious little money to pay the bills, like the electric which has not been paid in three years. That's all right, says Alfonso(Alfonso Santagata), the condominium administrator. If Gianni takes care of his mother(Marina Cacciotti) for the night, then he will look the other way on some of the late charges. So, what choice does Gianni have? If only Alfonso had also mentioned his aunt Maria(Maria Cali)...

While not what anybody would call substantial, "Mid-August Lunch" goes down easily enough as a droll and charming comedy of manners. One of the most important is to care for the elderly, but not treat them like children. Such lessons are learned on a slow-moving holiday whose rhythms are captured nicely by long takes while also getting some fine footage of Rome in the meantime.