Midsommar Reviews

• 16h ago

Yes, it's strange but I loved this film! It's definitely a metaphor for mental illness. At least that was my take on it.

• 2d ago

High expectations were expected for Midsommar and it achieved. I love how our main lead slowly breaks down and we see her struggle through the trauma.

• 2d ago

1.5 Star Review: Ari Aster continues his work in the Horror genre with his sophomore picture following his debut of "Hereditary." In his 2nd feature film, "Midsommar" tells the story of Dani and Christian, a couple in a struggling relationship who decide to take a trip together (much to the dismay of Christian and his buddies) along with their friends to witness a fabled mid-summer festival in rural Sweden. As in his first film, Ari Aster continues elevate the sense of dread from the moment these friends are welcomed into the strange and isolated hometown all the way up to the end of the film. Filmed entirely during the daytime, Aster does a fine job in showcasing to the audience just how the people in this strange town go about their daily lives as seen through the eyes of the newcomers. As each day progresses, we as an audience begin to lose track of the days that have gone by, much like the protagonist, Dani, as she struggles internally whether to continue staying in the town for her boyfriend and her friends or trust her instincts and convince everyone to just leave. It is a tried and true plot which has been seen many times. A few things do keep the movie rolling (e.g. all shot in sunlight, calm scenes that quickly turn horrific, and certain locations teased early on as places of mystery and intrigue) but it all goes up to a certain point until you begin to wonder why it was all done in the first place. As with certain horror films out there, Midsommar relishes in showing the audience a grotesque and brutal side of human nature for shock value and does little to hardly at all in having any sort of payoff. Thus, it loses a lot of what could have made this a true horror film. No doubt, this is what the director wanted, of course. It's his vision and his film. Midsommar is a film that tries too hard to be that new, different horror film. In this age where Horror has indeed been elevated with some recent flicks, Midsommar falls short with a frustrating and anti-climatic ending. In a few years, this might be regarded as a "cult-classic" (no pun intended) but I don't see this turning into a Horror classic. Quite forgettable, to be honest.

Avoid all spoilers and discussion and you're in for a wild ride

Avoid all spoilers and discussion and you're in for a wild ride

• 2d ago

It is art horror. Disturbing. If you like your horror to stay with you a long time, make you think, and contain images you won't be able to put out of your head because they are unthinkable - then you know already what you like - and this is for you. If you think The Conjuring series and Paranormal Activity are great horror films - you will hate this. If you like any foreign new age horror better than American schlock - you will likely enjoy this.

• 2d ago

I have nothing good to say about this movie. Plot has so many holes and is very predictable. A couple very strange R rated scenes that added nothing to the movie. Sad to read other reviews that rate this movie as a 10/10 but I guess I needed to go to film school to have enjoyed this movie

• 3d ago

What struck me the most about Midsommar is how much it revisits Ari Aster's previous film, Hereditary, in terms of themes and tone. Obviously, we have the surface differences in the characters and setting, but through it all, Aster seems determined to refine and perfect this idea of majorly fucked-up acts cloaked in a pious aura. And, you know, I'm there for it, since Midsommar *does* delve into worthwhile thematic areas only touched momentarily by the other film (largely in regards to the cult aspect). Still, it's a bit disappointing that rather than being in awe at the horrific grandeur of the ending, I was mainly just taken aback by how familiar it all was.

• 4d ago

very disturbing, very beautiful.

very disturbing, very beautiful.

• 5d ago

Glory to Ari Asters sophomore feature film!

Glory to Ari Asters sophomore feature film!

• 5d ago

I like most of A21's stuff. This movie was morbid but beautiful. This idea has been done but they did it in a way that made it different. It doesn't hurt that I love horror movies. I won't go see it again but I'm glad I saw it once.