A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

A Midsummer Night's Sex Comedy Reviews

October 13, 2016
Mia Farrow's usually great, but for a fair bit of this it just seems like she's doing a second-rate Diane Keaton impression. Otherwise very good.
½ February 5, 2016
Definitely the weakest link of Woody Allen's movies from the 1980s, but it isn't unwatchable.
January 27, 2016
It's an interesting idea, Shakespearean adaptations and period dramas were rife in the early 80's, so to do one with Woody Allen's witticisms was probably well received at the time. As much as I liked the script, performances and watching Allen flying about in a floating bicycle, it didn't quite grab me and I found it a little dated. It's still amusing and odd enough for me to give it three stars though.
January 11, 2016
Very good Woody film, perhaps underrated.
½ December 9, 2015
Standard fun woody Allen movie. Interesting philosophy, incessant conversation, subtle innuendos, abundant talk about sex yet nothing much else and pretty decent acting. What I did miss was the laugh out loud moments.
November 11, 2015
Typical musings of Allen. Entertaining.
½ August 21, 2015
Due to the release of his new feature film I couldn't resist revisiting a Woody Allen film I have yet to see & although it's no master stroke it was genuinely appealing.

The story of three couples & mis matched love & lust with funny results. Woody Allen was great as the crackpot inventor & I can help but love his dialogue.

It's the confusion of the characters that makes this film so charming. It's fluffy, intellectual & overall silly. Will appeal to Woody Enthusiasts.
½ July 7, 2015
Allen's least funny comedy. But it's still entertaining in it's own weird way.
May 1, 2015
A mixed bag for sure, there's an immediate pleasantness to the proceedings of the film, but unfortunately not a whole lot more. With a few tweaks this could have been great.
February 23, 2015
Likely the most Wes Andersonian of Woody's movies, here is a movie that adores the time period it's in. All of the characters run around with straw hats, goggles & suspenders with the same sexual frustration that existed in the early 80's, but it's cuter this way. Like Anderson's films the house in the country is filmed like a model, but simply to give us a picturesque view of the country. The 3 couples play badminton, eat al fresco, discuss new contraptions and go for country walks, all while discussing the possibility of an unseen magic world beyond our known reality, and fighting off their animalistic sexual urges (or lack thereof).
There are wonderful revelations in the 3rd act, but mostly it's just fun to see the director having fun again with a tone that's been missing since "Love & Death." It's his first film with his muse of the 80's Mia Farrow, and the beginning of their decade long, tumultuous romance.
½ December 26, 2014
Woody successfully invokes the Shakespearean spirit of comic fantasy but Mia Farrow just lacks the charm and wit of Diane Keaton
½ December 2, 2014
A soufflé worth watching if only for Gordon Willis's magnificent camerawork. Quite enjoyable fare otherwise but not quite up there with Allen's best. If you like him, you'll enjoy it.
½ November 20, 2014
Review:
I really wasn't that impressed with this movie because I didn't find it that funny or slightly interesting. The concept, which is basically about a group of friends who lust over each other in the wilderness, got a bit tedious after a while and Woody Allen's weak jokes and silly characters didn't have any depth or substance. The fact that everyone is lusting over Mia Farrow, didn't help because I really couldn't see what was so adorable about her. Woody Allen, who plays a mad inventor, was also quite annoying after a while and he just seemed to be running around, setting up rendezvous's with the different characters. The whole look and feel of the movie was quite dated and the storyline goes down some weird avenues that go a bit too far. Disappointing!

Round-Up:
With only one movie left in this Woody Allen series, I still haven't seen anything that amazing from this accomplished writer/director and I personally think that the movies with Diane Keaton are much better than the Mia Farrow ones. All of his films seem very similar to one another and the concepts, which are usually based around troubled relationships set in New York, aren't that imaginative. Before I got into this filmography, I was hoping to see the mind behind his unique work, but all I have seen is that he is definitely one for the ladies and he loves writing about relationships which are in turmoil, which shadows his own life in his latter years. Because I watched these films back to back, I honestly got fed up with them after a while and his humour is for a certain crowd which I am not part of.

Budget: N/A
Round-Up: $9million

I recommend this movie to people who are into there Woody Allen movies about a group of friends who get together in the wilderness and end up lusting for each other. 3/10
October 24, 2014
Woody's tribute to Shakespeare and Bergman has three couples spending a few summer days in an idyllic country setting circa 1900. The pacing is rather slow and it takes a while to get going and then doesn't quite go where Allen's better comedies have gone. The cinematography by Willis is gorgeous and there is the beautiful music of Mendelssohn, including his Violin Concerto, the Third Symphony, and of course his incidental music to "A Midsummer Night's Dream." This is the first of many teamings between Allen and Farrow, although the part was written for Diane Keaton, who was unavailable. It is an amusing film but could have used a few more laughs.
October 22, 2014
A dull and forgettable minor work from early-mid-career Woody Allen. His first real stinker.
August 12, 2014
his films, especially the earlier ones, never fail to bring on the laughs.
July 15, 2014
Decent movie. But, it is all too cliche. It just feels like another romance all too common. But, the acting is alright and it's easy to relate to.
May 19, 2014
Neither his funniest or most dramatic, but still an absolutely delightful semi farce in one of the most beautiful settings ever on film. A piece of whimsy to lose yourself in and reinvigorate the joy of being alive.