MLK/FBI Reviews

• Mar 10, 2021

Maybe the most boring documentary ever made. No new information. Exhaustingly long. Dreadfully bad. They uncover NOTHING new. How is this not universally panned? So bad.

• Philip P Super Reviewer
    Mar 09, 2021

"Looking at the FBI campaigns against King, the Black Panther party, and many other people I think there's a core component to this that really is structural and functional. People hold these attitudes and we focus on J. Edgar Hoover's own particular history and person, but I think that these are attitudes that have been core to how the racial order operates in the U.S. What helped motivate these campaigns was the real fear that black people could undermine the way the country wanted to see itself. And this manifested itself not only in the targeting of leaders and the people that were visible, but of ordinary people. So, this core fear and aggression toward African Americans has a lot to do with white people's own conception of themselves and black people forcing a reckoning with the violence of the American past." Hot. Damn.

• Feb 14, 2021

Good but a bit of a disappointment - I don't think I really learned anything..... and what was with the dozen plus clips from old Hollywood movies?

• Jan 24, 2021

Sobering look at how those who control our government will go to eliminate a threat to the status quo benefitting those with power

• Jan 24, 2021

Horrible use of film who claims the focus was to "shame" the FBI for filming Dr. King but whose real intent was to cast shade/doubt on Dr. Martin Luther King's legacy. An abomination and disgrace to documentaries worldwide. Have some class, talk about good things in people and try it again! If we went after everything the writers of the film did that was bad, I'm sure we could easily frame a ludicrous picture of them as well. I'm requesting a refund.

• p VanZandt
    Jan 23, 2021

Very informative, especially with all the political climate these days. I live documentaries anyways.

• Jan 21, 2021

i think that the response of some tackily-dressed southern white woman to the question, 'what do you think of martin luther king?' was, 'well, i don't care for him. he's too bossy. thinks he's too smart.' pretty much sums it up...

• Jan 19, 2021

When we turn our progressive leaders into Gods or demigods, and pretend they have no flaws... we ignore their humanity. "Respectability Politics" (which makes marginalized people into squeaky clean, mainstream people - rather than humans with flaws) have forced us to make our leaders into perfect Supreme Gods. Turning our progressive leaders into gods, allows the power structures (who want to maintain the status-quo) to partake in clandestine activities that wish to expose the flaws of our progressive leaders, in order to tear them down. The FBI wiretapped MLK and they eavesdropped on him and found his flaws. They then tried to use Martin Luther King Jr.'s flaws against him. They did everything to destroy his character and the progressive movement he represented. This is not an excuse of MLK's flaws --- anyone saying that this documentary is trying to excuse MLK's flaws is twisting things around and not paying attention. We all have flaws -- none of us are perfect. That is the point. But when a person's flaws are used to "cancel" that person out (whether the left or the right does it) it is ugly. In this instance, the FBI tried to do that to King, and this documentary dives into the history. These are the things we are not taught in school. MLK wasn't perfect. Gandhi wasn't perfect. Malcom X wasn't perfect. No one is. This documentary is a reminder that each one of us, even with deep flaws and imperfections, must still do the work to make the world a better place. And the ones who try to expose our flaws -- they do it because they have their own flaws that they don't want us to see. The FBI is a deeply flawed organization. J. Edgard Hoover, its leader, was also flawed. If you want to understand how power structures abuse their authority, I recommend this powerful documentary that takes a critical look into how the FBI (one of America's main power structure groups) did everything it could to stop Black leaders, communist leaders and anti-war activists. This is a critical look into America's overall right-wing history that tries to damage the character of leftwing, progressive leaders. If you work for the FBI -- (or any police group -- or the CIA --- or any group like that) then that is even more reason for you to watch this documentary. The only way to make the world a better place is by not perpetuating the abuse, by breaking the cycle.

• Jan 18, 2021

Amazing portrayal of King and Hoover's shenanigans.

Amazing portrayal of King and Hoover's shenanigans.

• Jan 18, 2021

The film doesn't shy away from putting a spotlight on the warts of Martin Luther King's life while also suggesting that King deserves to be a civil-rights icon. The way the film features FBI text is also engaging, intriguing and innovative.