Modern Romance - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Modern Romance Reviews

½ June 21, 2014
This is probably one of the few examinations of a toxic relationship that doesn't involve physical violence of any kind. The film is uncomfortable from start to finish as what at first seems to be a neurotic neediness in the central character slowly becomes an obsessive narcissism. I respect the hell out of Brooks for casting himself as such a unlikable person.
½ November 5, 2010
Shows how jealousy can ruin relationships and cause unneeded stress with whoever involved.
alanjayh
July 1, 2008
One of the funniest movies ever made..a few scenes I never laughed so hard...dont miss this one!!!!!!!!!
½ April 29, 2016
The only thing this movie gets right is the Modern part. In the 80s, movies about couples breaking up, falling in love?
September 8, 2010
Most of the time I felt for Brooks' character, and there are some funny scenes too, but the ending was anticlimactic and made romance feel futile.
March 21, 2012
This is a romance like none other. Albert Brooks is a disaster in relationships, but it is still entertaining.
January 31, 2012
68%

"I'd better buy some dope. I don't even have new sheets. I should get new sheets. I don't have any food here. I'm not prepared to get laid."-Robert Cole (Albert Brooks)

I didn't find it insightful, and it was scarcely funny. I did however find the sound mixing scene to be a knee slapper. Also George Kennedy played himself, which rocks.
January 21, 2010
There were a scattered few howlingly funny lines, and it's always somewhat entertaining to watch Albert Brooks do his neurotic schtick, but like most of his films (save Lost in America) it never rises very far above average.
December 8, 2009
Some pretty great bits, but doesn't come together as a whole very well. Something about it just left me cold.
October 22, 2009
Albert Brooks is a genius. Insomnia drove to me watch this at 3am, and by mourning I had committed to watching every film he's ever made.
January 30, 2009
This was one of those disposable, fall-asleep-to movies for me late last night on cable (TCM -- they even left the f-word in). It's quite a strange, plain-life look at a highly neurotic man and the hapless girlfriend he emotionally tortures. I did love the glimpse of a high-strung George Kennedy -- a decade before I knew him on "Dallas" -- playing himself acting in a "space picture." The requisite late-'70s-early-'80s fashions were cool, too, which is often enough reason for me to watch a film from that era!
½ October 20, 2006
Maybe Albert Brooks didn't invent the nuerotic romantic hero, but he perfected it here. Smart and Funny
January 13, 2005
Odd... the last part of my list are all pretty much ranked well as I put the lists together in no particular order...

[size=4][color=orange]The Recruit
[/color][/size]8/10
I was surprisingly entertained with The Recruit. Pacino was the same old Pacino - no surprise, Colin Farrel was the same Colin Farrel, no surprise, Bridget Moynahan was cute, no biggie... but the story was actually something I liked. I like all that CIA crap since I was seriously thinking of getting into the CIA after college. Instead. I opened a comic book store. Go figure. Exciting movie. Watch it.

[size=4][color=orange]Aladdin[/color][/size]
9/10
I think this is my favorite Disney movie. The songs, the story, the adventure. It's great. Jake & Bella enjoyed it too!

[size=4][color=orange]The Nightmare before Christmas
[/color][/size]9/10
How many times did I have to put this on for Jake. I think its his favorite 'animation' type movie. The thing I love most of all from this music is Danny Elfman's score. That guy is a damn fricken talent!!!

[size=4][color=orange]Modern Romance
[/color][/size]8/10
I love Albert Brooks. And I love his nuerotic characters that he plays. Every one of them is... well... nuerotic. And in Modern Romance, he's just plain... NEUROTIC as ever.

[size=4][color=orange]That Thing You Do[/color][/size]
9/10
I have always liked this movie. And when I sat down and watched it again I realized that I love it for the music, the story about a group that gets a quick shot to fame, the subtext of ONE-DERS turned WONDERS turned ONE HIT WONDERS, and ultimately their failure... It's also impressive that Tom Hanks wrote and directed the movie. Oh... Liv Tyler is hot in it! :) It's a real feel good movie!

And that's it... I think... If I can think of anymore I've watched since October I'll post.
½ April 29, 2016
April 25, 2013
Albert Brooks is almost always funny! But man is he a neurotic nutbar!
½ June 21, 2014
½ November 14, 2013
Apatow-ish in style, although it clearly predates Apatow by decades. It attempts to draw humor from real life situations. This can be a hit or miss proposition. It can be funny when Brooks is full of self doubt, but the fact of the matter is that his character is, for the most part, a psycho. So many times the thought is less "Isn't their on again/off again romance silly?" and more along the lines of "She should run from this guy before she ends up dead."
½ October 31, 2013
one of director brooks best directorial efforts