Mon Oncle d'Amérique Reviews

• Apr 23, 2020

This is quite a slog to make it through. There's a lot of work to do to get through this one and actively try to follow the changes in film style, genre, tone, as well as a running lecture of sorts on human psychological development in its varied complexities. The first half is esp. tough sledding as you try to get a grip on what the film is made up of and how it works (or fails to work) together. I dig the rat tests and analogies, though. I would still say a bit longer than needed, bit it was quite a creative feat to pull off.

• Sep 03, 2018

A masterpiece in the phenomenological analysis of the "malum mundi", anthropic but not only. When symbiotic relationships are overwhelmed by parasitic ones. (Mauro Lanari)

• Jan 26, 2017

This film is extremely different from a Hollywood classic. At first, I thought that it would be very dull but it picks up steam as it rolls along. I love how the film weaves an animal behavior documentary with life long stories of three intertwined characters. Kudos to the director and cast.

• Jan 06, 2015

An "analysis" of humans and their overlapping relationships. Uniquely French.

An "analysis" of humans and their overlapping relationships. Uniquely French.

• Sep 25, 2013

Alain Resnais is an amazing artist. He directed two of my very favorite films of all time, Hiroshima Mon Amor and Last Year in Marienbad. At 91, he is still making movies, and he was honored at Cannes as recently as 2009. Mon Oncle d'Amérique, made in 1980, is a really interesting film. It's set up rather like a comedy, and it definitely has its funny moments, but overall, Resnais treats his characters with great seriousness and care. For me, the best part of the film is that the scientist describes these people and their behaviors in very bare, detached, scientific way, but I found myself drawn in by them and their stories anyway. Resnais always makes me think, and this one, though lighter than the earlier works I mentioned, will keep me thinking for hours and days and years to come.

• Jun 18, 2013

The film is also memorable for its dead-on portrayal of French yuppiedom in its early ascendancy and for its beautifully ambiguous and open-ended finale.

• Apr 08, 2013

This movie is egregiously underrated.

This movie is egregiously underrated.

• Feb 06, 2013

Amusing French film that focuses on three individuals who seemed to be connected through a deserted island off the coast of their small town. One young man (Gerard Depardieu) expresses generally dislike towards his job in a textile factory. The other man (Roger Pierre) begins dating an actress (Nicole Garcia) who seems to be resistant of his affection and at the same time, has a fling with the other individual. Despite the film being rather upbeat, everyone seems miserable and also somehow get back to the island for which their ancestors had landed on. Weird and bit confusing at times, but still quite entertaining and well performed by the cast.

• May 13, 2012

Intelligent but a little boring.

Intelligent but a little boring.

John B Super Reviewer
    Jan 27, 2012

Very Woody Allenesque but it still works. Thoroughly entertaining!

Very Woody Allenesque but it still works. Thoroughly entertaining!