Morning Glory - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Morning Glory Reviews

½ March 24, 2016
Fun satire of the industry - although it's nothing like this of course, but it makes for an entertaining movie.
½ March 14, 2016
It's alright. Harrison Ford is still the coolest.
March 11, 2016
This film allows enough time for developing a nice little story about the struggle an ambitious and dedicated producer trying to string together fresh ideas to apply onto a dying morning news show about to be replaced by game show. We get a glimpse of how producing a morning show might have been like: setting alarm clock at 1.30am, fighting during the commercial break, "hardly go out", and I think I buy it. It's an interesting world with everyday issues. Harrison Ford succeeded in portraying an uttermost unlikable personality and Rachel McAdams provided a nice contrasting counterpart.
½ March 6, 2016
In general, I usually find Rachel McAdams good, but this movie is terrible. We missed about 40 minutes of it in the middle, and that did not matter.
½ March 1, 2016
After being retrenched from a New Jersey breakfast show, sunny but mildly neurotic young workaholic Becky Fuller's (Rachel McAdams) floundering TV producer career looks as bleak as her hapless and non-existent love life.

Applying for anything and everything in her field, Becky's sickly-eager persistence pays off when she gets an interview with a sardonic and skeptical network boss Jerry Barnes (Jeff Goldblum). Reluctant but wanting Becky out-of-his-office, Barnes agrees to give Becky a chance to turn around a hemorrhaging low-rating national morning news show called "Daybreak".

Literally stumbling into the job, Becky is full of ideas and promises to revitalize a show that she believes could be something special. First order of business is to replace the sexist male co-host with her hard-hitting news anchor idol, Mike Pomeroy (Harrison Ford), easier said than done.

Becky coerces the semi-retired Pulitzer wining hard-hitting reporter into joining her 'mediocre little show' by reading the fine print and threatening to cancel his multimillion dollar contract, however her great gamble fails to pay off.

The cantankerous Pomeroy refuses to cover fluffy morning show staples like celebrity gossip, weather, fashion and crafts, insists on having complete control of all promotions and constantly insults his ex-beauty queen and long-time morning show personality co-host Colleen Peck (Diane Keaton).

Whilst enjoying a blossoming romance with fellow producer Adam Bennett (Patrick Wilson) Becky's enthusiastic bubble bursts when informed that if the ratings don't turn around within six weeks, Daybreak will be cancelled.

Strapping her unwitting weatherman into a rollercoaster, getting Peck into a sumo suit and kissing a frog and allowing Pomeroy and Peck's clash bleed over from off screen to on air, Becky resorts to sensationalism, slapstick and all things crass in a race to worship the television industry's god, ratings. But will it work?

Struggling to save her relationship, her reputation, her job and ultimately, the show itself, the talented Rachael McAdams tries extremely hard to create empathy for her Hepburn-esque Becky Fuller, however with all her energy, conscientiousness and commitment, Becky is simply irritating.

As his character so eloquently admits "I'm doing it for the money"; Harrison Ford delivers little more than a phone in. His time in action movies well and truly over (hint, hint! no more Indiana Jones appearances please) Ford slums it; perpetually grouching his way through cheesy lines and a full reportour of old man angry faces.

Underutilized, Diane Keaton is completely wasted. Flaky and exactly prefect for her role, the lack of screen time gives you little opportunity to embrace her character. This is also true for the rest of the highly talented and terrific but wasted cast including Goldblum, Wilson and John Pankow.

The pedigree continues, including "Notting Hill" director Roger Michell and "The Devil Wears Prada" Screenwriter Aline Brosh McKenna. Stirring this pot of credentials along with a premise that had great potential, this movie forgot to ground itself in reality and what should have been a delightful and humorous escape nose dives into heavy handed obviousness and tedium.

The verdict: In a rush to convince us its funny, meaningful and realistic, this new sub-genre the 'platonic' rom-com lacks appeal. When two bickering and cranky geriatrics who used to have wonderful careers start talking about pap smears and prostate checks its time to cancel the show. . .

Published: The Queanbeyan Age
Date of Publication: 14/01/2011
February 20, 2016
A refreshing comedy with solid acting from Rachel McAdams, Harrison Ford and Diane Keaton. More fun than I anticipated - Harrison Ford and Diane Keaton are delicious together.
½ February 13, 2016
It got better each time I watched it. Every character fit well into the overall story.
January 16, 2016
This was a really fun movie to watch! All the characters were fun and likable, and I was surprised to see so many actors I enjoy in this. Kind of shocked to see more people didn't enjoy it. Definitely a good movie to watch on the weekend or a sick day, since it's a feel-good movie with a lot of laughs. And Harrison Ford, though maybe not great in this, makes for an excellent old grump.
January 16, 2016
Not a terrible romcom, although that's probably because the romance (between McAdams & Wilson) is mostly glossed over, in order to see how she can, as the executive producer on a morning TV show, get the old grump (Ford) to come around and contribute. It all works out, but there is a few laughs throughout - mostly thanks to Malloy. However, the music's crap! Not a total waste of Ford, but hardly required much of him.
January 14, 2016
What I saw didn't interest me
January 7, 2016
Tästä leffasta jäi loppujen lopuksi hyvä fiilis. :)
½ December 27, 2015
lightweight but entertaining
December 19, 2015
The apparent silliness of the plot is somehow compensated with the message hidden underneath. The power of willingness can make you reach incredible goals, if you really believe in what you're doing. Despite the lack of a cultural side in the narration, I try to put myself in Becky's shoes and I get how this story can be tailored to many experiences in our lives. It always moves me. Remarkable choices for the soundtrack, especially at the end with the amazing Natasha Bedingfield. I suggest you give it a shot!
½ December 15, 2015
A bit cheesy but still enjoyable with the chemistry between Harrison Ford and Rachel McAdams.
½ October 23, 2015
Charming movie. Grumpy ole' Harrison Ford is absolutely perfect in his role. I don't get the extremely negative reviews and didn't really see this as a rom-com. The movie is more about the character's relationship with the show and the anchor than it is about the cute male producer.
½ October 11, 2015
Surprisingly good movie. Harrison Ford and Rachel McAdams have great onscreen chemistry.
October 9, 2015
Great movie! Rachel McAdams is really good in this very realistic comedy. Lots of laughs.
½ August 14, 2015
Rather liked this pleasantly funny film.
July 19, 2015
Great film about news reporter and great performance of Rachel McAdams and Harrison Ford.
June 5, 2015
Great film and fantastic performance from McAdams