Mortal Kombat - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mortal Kombat Reviews

½ May 11, 2017
The CGI looks fake a shit and the acting could be better, but the action is cheesy and fun and the film benefits from never taking itself too seriously. Overall, Mortal Kombat is a dumb fun movie that entertains you without making you think.
April 25, 2017
So great of a movie!
½ April 25, 2017
Proof that being faithful to the video games still doesn't mean its good. This movie was kind of lame and too tame with its PG-13 rating. There are better video game movies than this that are more entertaining to watch. It doesn't hold up too well.
½ April 22, 2017
The emotionless acting and senseless plot are justifiable reasons to hate it, but "Mortal Kombat" has enough energy and visuals to earn itself a spot on the shelf as a delightful guilty pleasure.
½ April 21, 2017
More than anything it's a good theme song in a bad movie about a classic video game.
½ April 20, 2017
Mortal Kombat is directed by Paul W.S. Anderson, and it stars Christopher Lambert, Robin Shou, and Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa in a martial arts film about a bunch of fighters that got a random invitation to go to a place for Mortal Kombat. With this being one of the first video game adaptations and is on Netflix, I was curious to see how it is, and I played some of the video games, so I know some experience from the series, so with the film itself, it's very cheesy to watch, but in an entertaining way. The acting is corny, except for Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa who's having fun, Christopher Lambert being intimidating with his voice, and Linden Ashby actually being appropriately a show-off that's faithful to his character. The fight scenes are good and a bit fun to watch, and there are some character development to them that you can sort of root for them. Some of the effects look really good, but there are also some effects that look really cheesy. The writing by Kevin Droney is very laughable, but there are some funny lines from Johnny Cage. The theme song is the best part of the film as it's just epic to listen to, and it pumps a lot of people up. The locations look really cool, which really felt like it's in different worlds, which is nice. Mortal Kombat is a bit of a guilty pleasure that is very lame to watch, but there are a lot of enjoyment moments that I can say that I'm kind of glad I saw this.
½ April 17, 2017
In 1995, I would have been insanely embarrassed to have been responsible for this movie. In 2017, I could (and I do as a viewer) appreciate how hilarious it is. There were actually some moments that made me wonder if they were doing a parody of themselves. It's possibly, however unlikely, in which case there was some comic genius involved. It's bad. It's not so bad that it's good, but it is bad enough to be worth watching for several good laughs. The plot and the casting make most of the film seem like a joke that is being made on purpose. Sonya is laughably athletic, at best, with only one fight that is embarrassing to watch. Kitana is an emotionless and plot-moving only character. Liu Kang and Sub-Zero are the only people who actually look like they know martial arts. Raiden and Johnny Cage are the best (because of how funny they turn out to be) characters, and are involved in most of the examples that make it seem like the movie knows it's a joke. However, they don't quite take it far enough to fully convince on that.
April 12, 2017
Its an acquired taste.
April 9, 2017
Campy flick! Why such a low score? Free on Netflix streaming now.
April 7, 2017
This is one of the few cases in movies where video games translate well into film. The movie version has everything you might look for in the adaptation of a fighting game. Especially one as famous as Mortal Kombat. The movie has a plot close to the story, with all the main characters, and action scenes that left you engaged and wanting more. The movie also sports an amazing cast, and thrilling plot that leaves you excited and glued to your seat. It's a shame the sequel couldn't capture the magic that made this one so great.
½ March 25, 2017
It has very poorly crafted sides and at the same time some good moments, such as the mystic atmosphere and the very spectacular fight vs Reptile.
March 6, 2017
The best movie based on a video game, and while that may not be saying a whole lot (considering the poor track record of the genre), I still feel Mortal Kombat is a fun movie.

One of the main reasons why the film works is because it actually manages to adapt the basic premise of the original video game while expanding on it to fit in a 90 minute movie.

The plot moves at a brisk pace, and serves as a backdrop for what fans expect from a fighting game movie, which are the cool characters and nonstop Martial Arts action.

As for the fight scenes themselves, they are very well done, and incorporate several of the basic and special moves from the game in a way that is effective, and not gimmicky. The standout fights are Liu Kang vs. Reptile and Johnny Cage vs. Scorpion.

The casting is spot-on as the actors look and act identical to their game counterparts. Robin Shou portrays Liu Kang as a likable hero, and is very convincing on-screen. Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa as Shang Tsung is also a very entertaining villain.

You have some stylish visuals in the movie, plus an awesome soundtrack complete with one of the greatest movie theme songs of all time (at least in my opinion).

Now whether you agree with me or not on this movie, you have to admit, it's miles better than the likes of Street Fighter and Super Mario Bros.

Flawless victory.
½ February 24, 2017
So bad it's kinda funny.
November 30, 2016
Great Movie. I love the action, the acting, and nearly everything about it.
Sure, it's not the best movie in existence, but it's far from the worst.
It's sequel definitely fell flat in comparison.
October 23, 2016
Video game movies are never good, but this one is, by default, the best. Could've used an R rating, because, well, it's freaking Mortal Kombat, but it wasn't awful.
October 17, 2016
al menos el soundtrack es bueno
½ September 3, 2016
Good movie, but strange at times. Could also use more character development.
August 16, 2016
A pretty damn good video game adaptation but like so many other MK products fail to capture that dark spirit of MK2. Gotta love that song.
August 6, 2016
I just saw this movie years ago and i hated it badly,
According to Rotten Ratings Video Game Adaptions are impossible to make successfully, I'm surprised this received 32%, It felt lower than that, Much Lower...
What Else? hmmmm.... Got it! It had a shitty ending and i knew it was going to end that way, People should either try again to make a good game adaptation or stop making them for good.

Score: 1.5/10
½ July 31, 2016
Silly, yes. Pointless, yes. Memorable for it's laughable dialogue and awful special effects, yes. Endearing none the less and a guilty pleasure to enjoy once or twice in a lifetime.