Mortal Kombat - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mortal Kombat Reviews

February 14, 2018
The greatest video game into film adaptation to this day .
January 24, 2018
it's okay for what it is
January 20, 2018
Best video game movie ever. It's a game that actually looks like the game, and not some bullshit like Doom, Street Fighter, Alone in the Dark, Resident Evil: Retribution, and Tomb Raider. (To bad the sequel sucks, though)
January 10, 2018
Maybe it was the 90'a nostalgia but I really liked it even if it lacks something
½ January 6, 2018
Enjoyed this movie as a kid.
½ January 4, 2018
This is a terrible film. Terrible acting, terrible music and a threadbare story. It is as enjoyable as watching a friend play on a videogame.
Oddly has a cult following and was quite popular back in the day.
½ December 16, 2017
good armagedon is a another story
December 13, 2017
The best movie adapted from a video game, and while that may not be saying a lot (considering the poor track record of the genre), Mortal Kombat is still leagues above the likes of Street Fighter and Super Mario Bros.

One of the main reasons why the movie works so well is because it looks and feels like the video game. It's largely an adaptation of the first MK game with some characters and elements from Mortal Kombat II. The plot resembles Enter the Dragon, but with a Fantasy twist, which is suiting since the game was very much just that.

Much like any good fighting game or Action movie, the plot serves as a backdrop for the cool characters and nonstop Action. The fight scenes are well done and have more of a Hong Kong flavor rarely seen in big budget American films prior. They also managed to incorporate the special moves from the game (Liu Kang's bicycle kick, Sub-Zero's freeze, Sonya's leg grab, etc.) in a way that comes off as believable and exciting. For me, the standout fight scenes in the movie are Johnny Cage vs. Scorpion and Liu Kang vs. Reptile.

The characters all look and act like how you would expect, and the cast do a pretty good job. Robin Shou (Liu Kang) and Linden Ashby (Johnny Cage) are likable heroes while Christopher Lambert (Raiden) and Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa (Shang Tsung) steal the show.

Visually, the movie is great. The production design and photography have a stylish comic book look to it with its use of lighting, set designs and camera angles, which perfectly mirrors the game's atmosphere. However, the special FX tend to be more of a mixed bag. Some great FX work like Goro, but some bad ones too like Reptile's lizard form (which is painfully obvious CGI).

Of course, I can't mention this movie without talking about the soundtrack. Not only do you have the super addicting and catchy Mortal Kombat theme song, but you also have some great songs from Techno and Metal bands such as KMFDM and Orbital. George S. Clinton's score is also very effective.

Sure, Mortal Kombat may not be Oscar material, but it never intended to be such a thing and it knows exactly what it is.

Fight!
½ November 2, 2017
Mortal Kombat: Pretentious, fast paced, horrible acting and horrible writing makes Mortal Kombat a cheesy and horrible movie.
½ October 14, 2017
Rip the dream. Remake this to make a good rated r gorey movie, like the games
October 2, 2017
it was ok Martial arts movie, but, the story was lacking
September 26, 2017
Very fun to watch, even though it's corny at times - takes me right back to my childhood
September 3, 2017
When I was younger I thought this movie was awesome. Now though, watching it again I can clearly see that there is really no plot and it just goes from one fight to the next. Average at best. 3 stars just for the nostalgia.
August 21, 2017
Of course, this movie has its flaws, but the fidelity to the game's history is great, as are the action scenes, I just miss the bloody style that mortal kombat has, but it does not take away the fact that this is the best game-based movie Already adapted for the cinema, in my opinion.
August 16, 2017
Very bad movie but it is Mortal Kombat
July 25, 2017
Greatest video game movie ever!
½ July 22, 2017
Prepare to Fight in Mortal Kombat >:) Cool :)
July 11, 2017
The best movie based on a video game, and while that may not be saying a whole lot (considering the poor track record of the genre), I still feel Mortal Kombat is a fun movie.

One of the main reasons why the film works is because it actually manages to adapt the basic premise of the original video game while expanding on it to fit in a 90 minute movie.

The plot moves at a brisk pace, and serves as a backdrop for what fans expect from a fighting game movie, which are the cool characters and nonstop Martial Arts action.

As for the fight scenes themselves, they are very well done, and incorporate several of the basic and special moves from the game in a way that is effective, and not gimmicky. The standout fights are Liu Kang vs. Reptile and Johnny Cage vs. Scorpion.

The casting is spot-on as the actors look and act identical to their game counterparts. Robin Shou portrays Liu Kang as a likable hero, and is very convincing on-screen. Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa as Shang Tsung is also a very entertaining villain.

You have some stylish visuals in the movie, plus an awesome soundtrack complete with one of the greatest movie theme songs of all time (at least in my opinion).

Now whether you agree with me or not on this movie, you have to admit, it's miles better than the likes of Street Fighter and Super Mario Bros.

Flawless victory.
½ June 26, 2017
So at what point do we just accept that Mortal Kombat is the best video game-to-movie adaptation we're gonna get?
½ June 21, 2017
Mortal Kombat has cringeworthy special effects, action sequences that are so obviously choreographed, and actors that add nothing. Some decent set design and Robin Shou are the lone bright spots.