Mortal Kombat - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mortal Kombat Reviews

½ October 14, 2017
Rip the dream. Remake this to make a good rated r gorey movie, like the games
October 2, 2017
it was ok Martial arts movie, but, the story was lacking
September 26, 2017
Very fun to watch, even though it's corny at times - takes me right back to my childhood
September 21, 2017
The best movie adapted from a video game, and while that may not be saying a lot (considering the poor track record of the genre), Mortal Kombat is still leagues above the likes of Street Fighter and Super Mario Bros.

One of the main reasons why the movie works so well is because it looks and feels like the video game. It's largely an adaptation of the first MK game with some characters and elements from Mortal Kombat II. The plot resembles Enter the Dragon, but with a Fantasy twist, which is suiting since the game was very much just that.

Much like any good fighting game or Action movie, the plot serves as a backdrop for the cool characters and nonstop Action. The fight scenes are well done and have more of a Hong Kong flavor rarely seen in big budget American films prior. They also managed to incorporate the special moves from the game (Liu Kang's bicycle kick, Sub-Zero's freeze, Sonya's leg grab, etc.) in a way that comes off as believable and exciting. For me, the standout fight scenes in the movie are Johnny Cage vs. Scorpion and Liu Kang vs. Reptile.

The characters all look and act like how you would expect, and the cast do a pretty good job. Robin Shou (Liu Kang) and Linden Ashby (Johnny Cage) are likable heroes while Christopher Lambert (Raiden) and Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa (Shang Tsung) steal the show.

Visually, the movie is great. The production design and photography have a stylish comic book look to it with its use of lighting, set designs and camera angles, which perfectly mirrors the game's atmosphere. However, the special FX tend to be more of a mixed bag. Some great FX work like Goro, but some bad ones too like Reptile's lizard form (which is painfully obvious CGI).

Of course, I can't mention this movie without talking about the soundtrack. Not only do you have the super addicting and catchy Mortal Kombat theme song, but you also have some great songs from Techno and Metal bands such as KMFDM and Orbital. George S. Clinton's score is also very effective.

Sure, Mortal Kombat may not be Oscar material, but it never intended to be such a thing and it knows exactly what it is.

Fight!
September 3, 2017
When I was younger I thought this movie was awesome. Now though, watching it again I can clearly see that there is really no plot and it just goes from one fight to the next. Average at best. 3 stars just for the nostalgia.
August 21, 2017
Of course, this movie has its flaws, but the fidelity to the game's history is great, as are the action scenes, I just miss the bloody style that mortal kombat has, but it does not take away the fact that this is the best game-based movie Already adapted for the cinema, in my opinion.
August 16, 2017
Very bad movie but it is Mortal Kombat
July 25, 2017
Greatest video game movie ever!
½ July 22, 2017
Prepare to Fight in Mortal Kombat >:) Cool :)
July 11, 2017
The best movie based on a video game, and while that may not be saying a whole lot (considering the poor track record of the genre), I still feel Mortal Kombat is a fun movie.

One of the main reasons why the film works is because it actually manages to adapt the basic premise of the original video game while expanding on it to fit in a 90 minute movie.

The plot moves at a brisk pace, and serves as a backdrop for what fans expect from a fighting game movie, which are the cool characters and nonstop Martial Arts action.

As for the fight scenes themselves, they are very well done, and incorporate several of the basic and special moves from the game in a way that is effective, and not gimmicky. The standout fights are Liu Kang vs. Reptile and Johnny Cage vs. Scorpion.

The casting is spot-on as the actors look and act identical to their game counterparts. Robin Shou portrays Liu Kang as a likable hero, and is very convincing on-screen. Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa as Shang Tsung is also a very entertaining villain.

You have some stylish visuals in the movie, plus an awesome soundtrack complete with one of the greatest movie theme songs of all time (at least in my opinion).

Now whether you agree with me or not on this movie, you have to admit, it's miles better than the likes of Street Fighter and Super Mario Bros.

Flawless victory.
½ June 26, 2017
So at what point do we just accept that Mortal Kombat is the best video game-to-movie adaptation we're gonna get?
½ June 21, 2017
Mortal Kombat has cringeworthy special effects, action sequences that are so obviously choreographed, and actors that add nothing. Some decent set design and Robin Shou are the lone bright spots.
June 2, 2017
This tongue in cheek adaptation of a video game would have been much more effective had it been played straight. As is, it doesn't pull you in, too much time goes by before you get any action, and the entire movie feels like it exists only to get you to watch the second movie. There is some decent fight choreography (not overmuch, but some), and the good guys are easy to root for. I wouldn't watch it again, but it is harmless entertainment.
½ May 11, 2017
The CGI looks fake a shit and the acting could be better, but the action is cheesy and fun and the film benefits from never taking itself too seriously. Overall, Mortal Kombat is a dumb fun movie that entertains you without making you think.
April 25, 2017
So great of a movie!
½ April 25, 2017
Proof that being faithful to the video games still doesn't mean its good. This movie was kind of lame and too tame with its PG-13 rating. There are better video game movies than this that are more entertaining to watch. It doesn't hold up too well.
½ April 22, 2017
The emotionless acting and senseless plot are justifiable reasons to hate it, but "Mortal Kombat" has enough energy and visuals to earn itself a spot on the shelf as a delightful guilty pleasure.
½ April 21, 2017
More than anything it's a good theme song in a bad movie about a classic video game.
½ April 20, 2017
Mortal Kombat is directed by Paul W.S. Anderson, and it stars Christopher Lambert, Robin Shou, and Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa in a martial arts film about a bunch of fighters that got a random invitation to go to a place for Mortal Kombat. With this being one of the first video game adaptations and is on Netflix, I was curious to see how it is, and I played some of the video games, so I know some experience from the series, so with the film itself, it's very cheesy to watch, but in an entertaining way. The acting is corny, except for Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa who's having fun, Christopher Lambert being intimidating with his voice, and Linden Ashby actually being appropriately a show-off that's faithful to his character. The fight scenes are good and a bit fun to watch, and there are some character development to them that you can sort of root for them. Some of the effects look really good, but there are also some effects that look really cheesy. The writing by Kevin Droney is very laughable, but there are some funny lines from Johnny Cage. The theme song is the best part of the film as it's just epic to listen to, and it pumps a lot of people up. The locations look really cool, which really felt like it's in different worlds, which is nice. Mortal Kombat is a bit of a guilty pleasure that is very lame to watch, but there are a lot of enjoyment moments that I can say that I'm kind of glad I saw this.
½ April 17, 2017
In 1995, I would have been insanely embarrassed to have been responsible for this movie. In 2017, I could (and I do as a viewer) appreciate how hilarious it is. There were actually some moments that made me wonder if they were doing a parody of themselves. It's possibly, however unlikely, in which case there was some comic genius involved. It's bad. It's not so bad that it's good, but it is bad enough to be worth watching for several good laughs. The plot and the casting make most of the film seem like a joke that is being made on purpose. Sonya is laughably athletic, at best, with only one fight that is embarrassing to watch. Kitana is an emotionless and plot-moving only character. Liu Kang and Sub-Zero are the only people who actually look like they know martial arts. Raiden and Johnny Cage are the best (because of how funny they turn out to be) characters, and are involved in most of the examples that make it seem like the movie knows it's a joke. However, they don't quite take it far enough to fully convince on that.