Mortal Kombat - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mortal Kombat Reviews

½ May 13, 2018
So lame plot paul needs to learn
½ May 8, 2018
Goro is my spirit animal.
April 29, 2018
Cheap. That's the only word I can think of to describe this movie. The acting, the effects, the set pieces, the stunt work, the overall look of the film - cheap. The only good thing I found was the beautiful Thailand scenery.
½ April 16, 2018
Mortal Kombat was a game that will remain forever in my heart from back in the days when I was a hardcore gamer. I made both friends and enemies out of that game. I played a good handful for the SNES and the kid in me came back when the 360 versions came out (wow! what a terrific update!). I'll always have time to play, discuss or live Mortal Kombat (a bit much?) and I recently took the time to have a sit down with the 1995 movie rendition. To me, this is one of few video game adaptations that got it right by sticking with two elements; 1) being a faithful adaptation to its video game source and 2) being a non-stop action packed flick with its own plot and not confusing the average movie-goer. I consider myself in both categories and was happy on both counts when it came to this one! Now, even though there's a 'story' here, it's really the enthralling fight sequences and set pieces that made this one really count! If there was ever a term to define 'style over substance' this flick's title should be it. Hey, nothing wrong with it in this end! I loved seeing the many hand-to-hand fight scenes and the set-pieces in which they occurred. Speaking of which, the movie furthered that by taking a lot of the characters' traits and moves and throwing them in there as well! I swooned with Scorpion's 'GET OVER HERE!' shtick and every single character carried at least one move or gimmick from their video game counterparts. If you know the games well, you'll have a blast spotting the many references. Not solely relying on the character traits, the sets and look of the picture also contributed to the fun times. Funny how 2/3rds of the game-to-movie adaptations that I can think of fully enjoying is directed by Paul Anderson. The man keeps the adrenaline pace throughout, goes nuts with the angles and his cinematographer needs a pat on the back. Well done! Christopher Lambert kept his part grounded when it could've been easily cheesy. He gave a focused and awesome performance. Robin Shou gave me a hero to root for. Linden Ashby did alright with what he was given and pulled off some sweet moves. Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa was the most intriguing character of the lot of them and he was the villain! What? Easily the best performance of the movie. Bridgette Wilson also did what she had to do with what she was given. Talisa Soto, like Lambert, kept a very grounded performance here and came across as excellent in an otherwise mediocre role. Trevor Goddard fully embraced the role of Kano and while Kano is one of my least favorites in the games, the movie redeemed him for me with Goddard's performance. Lost a great talent right there, too soon. On the flip side, some fights were really underwhelming. Particularly when it came to Goro and Sonya. I know Goro was mainly an effect moreso but he had a sinister presence and seeing him actually fight would've been cool. Show me his skills! I also think Bridgette Wilson could've used more training before her main scene with Kano. She seemed a bit off with certain moves. I'm no expert but I did notice. Lastly, and this is just the nit-picking fanboy in me talking, the flick could've been more violent. One of the major elements that attracted me to the games in the first place was its over-the-top gore. That was sorely missed here. But in all, this is an adaptation that got it right where the kid and adult in me both love it. Top that with an awesome theme song (I still secretly play it on headphones when I work out) and you get one hell of a fun time. This isn't an Oscar flick but it did what it set out to do and I love it for doing just that: entertain. MORTAL KOMBAAAAT!
½ March 20, 2018
Paul W. S. Anderson took full advantage of the minimalist plots that staple fighting games together by focusing on the cast of compelling, if campy, characters. The result is a well-above-average martial arts movie that respectfully adapts its source material.
March 12, 2018
The best movie based on a video game, and while that may not be saying a lot considering the poor track record of the genre, I still think this is a fun Action flick that does its source material justice.

While the special FX are pretty dated nowadays, and the violence that made the game so iconic is considerably toned down, the movie features some great fight scenes, decent acting, stylish production values, and a brisk pace.

Plus, the soundtrack is awesome.
½ March 1, 2018
Mortal Kombat is goofy, shallow, and unintentionally funny but overall not a terrible movie. It had just enough awesome fights and over-the-top action scenes to keep me entertained.
February 14, 2018
The greatest video game into film adaptation to this day .
January 24, 2018
it's okay for what it is
January 20, 2018
Best video game movie ever. It's a game that actually looks like the game, and not some bullshit like Doom, Street Fighter, Alone in the Dark, Resident Evil: Retribution, and Tomb Raider. (To bad the sequel sucks, though)
January 10, 2018
Maybe it was the 90'a nostalgia but I really liked it even if it lacks something
½ January 6, 2018
Enjoyed this movie as a kid.
½ January 4, 2018
This is a terrible film. Terrible acting, terrible music and a threadbare story. It is as enjoyable as watching a friend play on a videogame.
Oddly has a cult following and was quite popular back in the day.
½ December 16, 2017
good armagedon is a another story
½ November 2, 2017
Mortal Kombat: Pretentious, fast paced, horrible acting and horrible writing makes Mortal Kombat a cheesy and horrible movie.
½ October 14, 2017
Rip the dream. Remake this to make a good rated r gorey movie, like the games
October 2, 2017
it was ok Martial arts movie, but, the story was lacking
September 26, 2017
Very fun to watch, even though it's corny at times - takes me right back to my childhood
September 3, 2017
When I was younger I thought this movie was awesome. Now though, watching it again I can clearly see that there is really no plot and it just goes from one fight to the next. Average at best. 3 stars just for the nostalgia.
August 21, 2017
Of course, this movie has its flaws, but the fidelity to the game's history is great, as are the action scenes, I just miss the bloody style that mortal kombat has, but it does not take away the fact that this is the best game-based movie Already adapted for the cinema, in my opinion.