Movie 43 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Movie 43 Reviews

August 18, 2017
GREG: (Greg Smith, Founder of Agile Writers of Richmond, VA) Just in time for the new year, it s Movie 43!

SCOTT: (Dr. Scott Allison, Professor of Psychology, University of Richmond) And what a way to recover from Christmas. Deck the halls with bowels of holly.

GREG: Movie 43 almost defies explanation. It is an anthology of sixteen (16!) different storylines. Each one raunchier and more ridiculous than the last. The running gag in the movie is that each scene is actually a pitch for a movie idea by struggling screenwriter Charlie Wessler (Dennis Quaid). He s holding a movie producer Griffin Schraeder (Greg Kinear) hostage forcing him to listen to each and every story idea, regardless of how horrible it may be.

SCOTT: And man, are the stories horrible. And dumb, and ultra-vulgar. At gunpoint, Schraeder brings Wessler s movie idea to the studios chief executive, who ridicules and embarrasses Schraeder. To get even, Schraeder decides to invest huge resources into the film, knowing it will cost the movie studio millions.

GREG: I don t think we ll have time to review all the stories here. But to give you an idea, the first one deals with a woman (Kate Winslet) on a blind date with a surprisingly eligible bachelor (Hugh Jackman). The only problem: he has testicles on his chin and nobody but she seems to notice. Then there s the one where a girlfriend (Anna Faris) is so in love with her boyfriend (Chris Pratt) that she wants him to poop on her chest. He, in his desire to do the deed properly, eats enormous amounts of Indian food and overdoses on laxatives. The end result is the most massive explosion of diarrhea in film history.

SCOTT: Yes. For this scene, I thank the makers of this film from the bottom of my.... well, from my bottom. The premise of Movie 43 pretty much guarantees the movies failure. We know that Wessler s ideas are terrible as he is pitching them to Schraeder, and yet 95% of Movie 43 is spent showing these bad ideas in their full, ahem, glory. At one point, Wessler suggests that Kate Winslet play the role of the chin-balls date, to which Schraeder points out that Winslet would never agree to such a role. But in this movie, where ridiculous reigns supreme, Winslet does indeed play this character. Movie 43 is full of hits and misses, and unfortunately, the ratio of hits to misses is about 1 to 4. Much of the content of the skits is revolting and bloated with shock value. Nothing is sacred here. Jokes about incest, menstruation, and feces abound. The more outrageous, the better. In any bad movie, vulgarity is a proxy for good writing, and that s certainly true here.

GREG: Movie 43 comes to us from Peter Farrelly of the Farrelly Brothers (who brought us last years The Three Stooges). The Farrellys are known for their low-brow humor and Movie 43 seals that reputation. This is the worst movie ever - but that is what it is aiming for. Many of the actors originally slated to be in the film found a way to opt-out. It took nearly 10 years to bring the whole picture together as reluctant luminaries were brought in to fulfill their obligations. There is no rhyme nor reason to these vignettes. Although I get the impression that several of them were actual movie synopses that were turned down. If you like Saturday Night Live, you just might like Movie 43. However watching 90 minutes of SNL rejects may be more than you can take. Still, knowing is half the battle. I found Movie 43 delivered on its promise to be lewd, crude, and indecent. And I respect that. I give Movie 43 1 Reel out of 5. No heroes were harmed in the making of Movie 43 so I award it 0 Heroes out of 5. Movie: Hero:

SCOTT: Anthology movies rarely work because there is insufficient time to develop characters and storylines. Each story is reduced to a single thematic gimmick that is milked for about 5 or 10 minutes and then runs out of steam. And if the gimmick is truly dumb to begin with, 5 or 10 minutes feels like forever. The iBabe story is an example of a bad idea that went nowhere. It s one long sexual joke dragged out to 10 minutes. Ugh. Then theres the aforementioned defecation story. While the idea of pooping on someone is shocking and perhaps even mildly funny, we re subjected to this fecal theme for 10 tortuous minutes. No thank you. Movie 43 is 90 minutes of shocking attempts at humor that are clever at times but miss the mark far too often. The conflict between Schraeder and Wessler was uninteresting and served as a bad, bad excuse to film so many truly tasteless mini-stories. Like you, Greg, I award Movie 43 just 1 measly Reel, with the film on the reel donated to the exploding-bowel man to use as toilet paper. There were no heroes here, only victims. And so zero Heroes out of 5 from me, too.
July 24, 2017
I'd like to think that reviewers take into account the fact that sometimes you break all the rules for a reason. If you're expecting a normal movie, this might catch you by surprise, it did me. This movie has no traditional structure, it's crude, and it's really random. But, why would like 50 A-list stars want to be in it? Answer: Because it's funny. Get past the unusual format and just want expect to laugh, you will. I watch a lot of comedies and I've been pretty disappointed a lot recently. I can say this movie has more laughs than most that I've seen recently. Just don't expect it to be another carbon copy hollywood movie.
July 20, 2017
Well, I did laugh ..... a lot in this movie.
½ July 12, 2017
Worst movie I have ever seen.
½ July 2, 2017
One of my most hated movies of all time. It's so painfully unfunny, crude, and boring. Imagine you're watching a really bad Smosh sketch and then multiply it by a thousand.
½ July 1, 2017
one of the worst things ever, not just movies anything in life
½ June 28, 2017
Spoiler Alert: NOTHING HAPPENS!!! acknowledging that the jokes are not funny doesn't make it funny if i could choose 2 words to describe movie 43 (why is it even called that) it would just be dull and vulgar
June 25, 2017
The movie was not very good. The jokes are stale, the humor is done in an unfunny and raunchy way, and some of the cast members did a poor job. The movie is just mediocre at best.
June 22, 2017
Terrible and gross. Most of the jokes are based on poop and vaginas. Having such a big name cast makes it even worse.
June 4, 2017
I just can't understand why so any people hated this movie. I thought it was hilarious.
May 30, 2017
Underutilising its ensemble cast, Movie 43 has some laughs (The skits with Robin speed-dating and Anna Faris wanting Chris Pratt to poop on her are the skits that actually work) but is ultimately not a good movie. The UK version has an occasionally clever way to connect the skits together but ultimately this film is a piece of crap. The jokes are so offensive they're disturbing (at least Kate Winslet displayed self-awareness of Hugh Jackman's creepy testicle-chin), the scripts are bad, the humour will make you groan and facepalm and the stories that revolve around each skit are offensive, implausible and unoriginal. How does one put tons of talented actors in one movie and not know what to do with them? Huh? One of the worst, if not THE worst, movies of 2013.
May 29, 2017
I don't even know how I sat through 11 minutes of this turd.
May 23, 2017
This is awful but some of the sketches did make me laugh as I'm a child
May 7, 2017
Great movie! Very entertaining
½ May 5, 2017
Only two words can sum up the entirety of this movie. Pure trash.
April 24, 2017
Bad. Who crams several short films together and calls that a movie? Impressive cast, but....that's it.
April 15, 2017
this film is so bad I laughed once
½ April 10, 2017
Possibly the worst film I have ever seen. None of the ideas are funny it entertaining and most of them are disgustingly obscene. And I know they're supposed to be but the character of the screenwriter isn't at all realistic. I have no idea how so many A list actors agreed to do this!
April 9, 2017
Don't know what movie those critics above were watching, or maybe they've just forgotten how to laugh at inappropriate humor. But this movie had enough LOLs to highly recommend. It ain't perfect but it's sure as hell as funny as anything else the Farrelly bros have made, and even funnier than some of them! I'd put it on par with There's something about Mary and and higher than Dumb and Dumber on the laugh meter. From Hugh Jackman's opening to that damn animated cat at the closing, laughs galore.
½ April 4, 2017
This movie is a test to see how long a person will commit to watching absolute drivel. I lasted 6 minutes