Mr. Hulot's Holiday (Les Vacances de Monsieur Hulot) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mr. Hulot's Holiday (Les Vacances de Monsieur Hulot) Reviews

Page 1 of 23
June 6, 2016
خ?ب خ?ب خ?ب
April 7, 2016
I love Jacque Tati. His comedy is classic, his characters are delightful, and his storytelling is fun and innovative. To me, Jacque Tati's feature films are all masterpieces, and this is my personal favorite.
February 5, 2016
A non-stop barrage of calm, frequently hilarious slapstick that, while obviously repetitive and thin, definitely shows its influential legacy in future, more well-known comedies.
½ January 26, 2016
Leisurely laughs.
I have a query: why are some vehicles (including M. Hulot's) RHD? Maybe they were imported and in those times it wasn't easy to convert. Mind you M. Hulot's sportscar is so small that he can reach across to sound the horn situated outside on a spare tyre on the opposite side to the steering wheel!
December 1, 2015
-Les Vacances de monsieur Hulot is een komische film van Jacques Tati uit 1953.
-In deze film speelt Tati voor het eerst het personage van Hulot: een lange slungelige man, excentriek maar goedbedoelend, met een pijp, paraplu, flaphoedje, vlinderdas en te korte broek. Hulot is een ouderwetse man die niets begrijpt van de wereld om zich heen. Hij bedoelt alles goed, maar door zijn onhandigheid stuurt hij alles in de war.
Tati zou Hulot in al zijn latere films spelen en Hulot zou uitgroeien tot een van de grootste iconen uit de komische cinema.
-De film groeide uit tot Tati's meest succesvolle en meest geprezen film. Tal van scnes - de tennispartij, de kano die in een krokodil verandert en het diner in het hotel - werden legendarisch.
-De film is op prachtige locaties in het Franse Saint-Marc-sur-Mer (Loire-Atlantique) opgenomen en heeft een glossy ansichtkaartachtige zwart-witfotografie. De jazzsaxofoonmuziek van de film is van Alain Romans en werd wereldberoemd. Het hotel, htel de la Plage, bestaat nog steeds en gelijkt nog sterk op het oorspronkelijke uit de film. Het strand voor de deur is nagenoeg ongewijzigd en ademt de sfeer van de film uit. In de kamers van het hotel hangen foto's van het oude gebouw.
-In deze film gaat Tati met zijn maatschappijkritiek en filmstijl al een hele stap verder dan in zijn vorige films. Tati laat duidelijk een fascinatie zien voor mensenmassa's, de dialogen worden minder, het verhaal abstracter, de geluidseffecten prominenter en de close-ups zijn al verdwenen. Door het minimum aan dialoog moet de film het hebben van situaties en mimiek, waardoor de prent een beetje Engels aandoe
November 9, 2015
Mr. Hulot's Holiday is laidback, full of pleasures, and extreme in its charm, while showing a smiling fondness for people in all of their idiosyncrasies.
July 5, 2015
If you don't find this movie funny then its not for you at all. Mr Hulot is a boring character just accidentally doing stuff..... thats the movie. He doesn't talk and barely makes an expression. How is this funny? Nothing funny happens at all! Nothing... He picks up a tire covered in leaves and its mistaken for a reef? Huh? It drags on and ends... What was the point aside wasting my time.
½ July 1, 2015
Pleasant and charming movie. Mr. Hulot bungles his way through the seaside resort which is full of stuffy tourists. Was released in 1953.
March 22, 2015
As amusing as a movie as this is, I didn't genuinely laugh one time throughout the whole film. Whether something was lacking or it was my mostly uninterested view of the slap-stick comedy style, I can only say it's well done but didn't work out in what it actually intended to do, at least for me.
January 20, 2015
Al estilo de maestros como Chaplin y Buster Keaton, Jacques Tati no se queda atr s con sus gags , hilarante y genial pelìcula.
October 6, 2014
2 star first half, 4 star second half

September 9, 2014
How can a movie with so little point have so much indelible character? Tati's gangly goofiness is unmatched as he unintentionally wreaks havoc on a small beach resort. If you're a fan of Mr. Bean's doofishness or the Marx Brothers anarchy, then the wonderful staging and hilarious quirk here will definitely put a smile on your face.
September 7, 2014
A minimalist masterpiece, as Tati becomes the French Chaplin. Essential.
May 26, 2014
Very funny movie. Has some of the most clever humor I've seen in a movie.
½ May 12, 2014
Janus Films is touring a newly restored, newly struck 35 mm print of this charming film. It looks great! The movie retains it's charm, humor and wry insight. I think many of the gags could have been improved by allowing them to develop a bit longer but they're still good as is.

Undoubtedly influential and I have no doubt that Steve Martin, Rowan Atkinson and Peter Sellers studied Jacques Tati's Hulot. I found it also a bit reminiscent of Hayao Miyazaki's gentle family films such as My Neighbor Totoro.
April 25, 2014
A nice change from some over embellished films nowadays. Not laugh out loud funny (which I don't think is the point of the film) but definitely charming; it makes you happy.
February 15, 2014
Random and subtle, for slapstick fans only
January 27, 2014
My favourite film of all time.
January 24, 2014
My second Tati's film after PLAYTIME (1967, 9/10), MR. HULOT'S HOLIDAY is when the titular character, Tati's on-screen proxy, was introduced for the first time, a tall, polite, convivial and slightly ungainly gentleman, whose silhouette resembles an adult version of Tintin, drives with his cramped jalopy, but his eyes flicker self-possessed wisdom and unlike the modernistic urban spectacle in the PLAYTIME, this film is confined to a specified rural location, among miscellaneous characters, Mr. Hulot is the prominent player and seamless skits climates with a spectacular hoot of fireworks.

Tati is a sterling humorist, a punctilious life observer, but never an orderly storyteller, so this beachside vocation is a laid-back assemblage of stunts stemming from sheer coincidence, mindless slips or distractions, antics with deadpan seriousness, classic slapstick and precisely calculated gags. The master strokes are plentiful, in particular, the magic paint bucket which wondrously floats with the tides to the very spots uncannily when Mr. Hulot is painting a canoe, which later snaps in half in the middle of the water, this entails intricate camerawork to bring to fruition of all Tati's quirky mind's eye. The black humor emitted from a tyre-and-wreath blooper and the subsequent handshake consolation is pitch-perfect and timeless. Also it is a riot to be amused by the prank of Hulot's invincible serving in the tennis match, all connote that Tati is not only, a steady successor of comedy masters like Chaplin, Keaton, but also a trendsetter of his own trademark humanistic concern conflated with Gallo-sense of satire.

Each day kicks off with light jazz fusions then randomly follows the recreation of the tourists, which concocts a kaleidoscope of people's mindset at then and unremittingly tickles our ribs with Tati's witty, unsophisticated, knowing gimmicks which ruefully reminisce us comedies can also be stylish and virtuous, furthermore compel us to lament what's wrong with the present hurly-burly of comedy, is it true that our public taste of humor has plummeted that deep? Modern potboiler-makers, please regress to the masters of yore for inspiration and stop inculcating us with bawdy, vulgar and unhealthy duds.
½ January 20, 2014
My First Jacques Tati film, and it is so funny. A lot of slapstick and satire throughout the film that will keep you memorized.
Page 1 of 23