Mr. Hulot's Holiday (Les Vacances de Monsieur Hulot) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mr. Hulot's Holiday (Les Vacances de Monsieur Hulot) Reviews

Page 1 of 23
June 14, 2017
A nice mix between Chaplin and Mr Bean. Sweet, innocent, but hilarious!
December 8, 2016
I love the aerial shots and also the shots with large rooms full of people. A somewhat smaller scale to Playtime. In regard to all of Tati's films this one is definitely nostalgic and innocent in its delivery.
June 6, 2016
خ?ب خ?ب خ?ب
April 7, 2016
I love Jacque Tati. His comedy is classic, his characters are delightful, and his storytelling is fun and innovative. To me, Jacque Tati's feature films are all masterpieces, and this is my personal favorite.
February 5, 2016
A non-stop barrage of calm, frequently hilarious slapstick that, while obviously repetitive and thin, definitely shows its influential legacy in future, more well-known comedies.
½ January 26, 2016
Leisurely laughs.
I have a query: why are some vehicles (including M. Hulot's) RHD? Maybe they were imported and in those times it wasn't easy to convert. Mind you M. Hulot's sportscar is so small that he can reach across to sound the horn situated outside on a spare tyre on the opposite side to the steering wheel!
December 1, 2015
-Les Vacances de monsieur Hulot is een komische film van Jacques Tati uit 1953.
-In deze film speelt Tati voor het eerst het personage van Hulot: een lange slungelige man, excentriek maar goedbedoelend, met een pijp, paraplu, flaphoedje, vlinderdas en te korte broek. Hulot is een ouderwetse man die niets begrijpt van de wereld om zich heen. Hij bedoelt alles goed, maar door zijn onhandigheid stuurt hij alles in de war.
Tati zou Hulot in al zijn latere films spelen en Hulot zou uitgroeien tot een van de grootste iconen uit de komische cinema.
-De film groeide uit tot Tati's meest succesvolle en meest geprezen film. Tal van scnes - de tennispartij, de kano die in een krokodil verandert en het diner in het hotel - werden legendarisch.
-De film is op prachtige locaties in het Franse Saint-Marc-sur-Mer (Loire-Atlantique) opgenomen en heeft een glossy ansichtkaartachtige zwart-witfotografie. De jazzsaxofoonmuziek van de film is van Alain Romans en werd wereldberoemd. Het hotel, htel de la Plage, bestaat nog steeds en gelijkt nog sterk op het oorspronkelijke uit de film. Het strand voor de deur is nagenoeg ongewijzigd en ademt de sfeer van de film uit. In de kamers van het hotel hangen foto's van het oude gebouw.
-In deze film gaat Tati met zijn maatschappijkritiek en filmstijl al een hele stap verder dan in zijn vorige films. Tati laat duidelijk een fascinatie zien voor mensenmassa's, de dialogen worden minder, het verhaal abstracter, de geluidseffecten prominenter en de close-ups zijn al verdwenen. Door het minimum aan dialoog moet de film het hebben van situaties en mimiek, waardoor de prent een beetje Engels aandoe
November 9, 2015
Mr. Hulot's Holiday is laidback, full of pleasures, and extreme in its charm, while showing a smiling fondness for people in all of their idiosyncrasies.
July 5, 2015
If you don't find this movie funny then its not for you at all. Mr Hulot is a boring character just accidentally doing stuff..... thats the movie. He doesn't talk and barely makes an expression. How is this funny? Nothing funny happens at all! Nothing... He picks up a tire covered in leaves and its mistaken for a reef? Huh? It drags on and ends... What was the point aside wasting my time.
½ July 1, 2015
Pleasant and charming movie. Mr. Hulot bungles his way through the seaside resort which is full of stuffy tourists. Was released in 1953.
March 22, 2015
As amusing as a movie as this is, I didn't genuinely laugh one time throughout the whole film. Whether something was lacking or it was my mostly uninterested view of the slap-stick comedy style, I can only say it's well done but didn't work out in what it actually intended to do, at least for me.
January 20, 2015
Al estilo de maestros como Chaplin y Buster Keaton, Jacques Tati no se queda atr s con sus gags , hilarante y genial pelìcula.
October 6, 2014
2 star first half, 4 star second half

63/100
September 9, 2014
How can a movie with so little point have so much indelible character? Tati's gangly goofiness is unmatched as he unintentionally wreaks havoc on a small beach resort. If you're a fan of Mr. Bean's doofishness or the Marx Brothers anarchy, then the wonderful staging and hilarious quirk here will definitely put a smile on your face.
September 7, 2014
A minimalist masterpiece, as Tati becomes the French Chaplin. Essential.
May 26, 2014
Very funny movie. Has some of the most clever humor I've seen in a movie.
½ May 12, 2014
Janus Films is touring a newly restored, newly struck 35 mm print of this charming film. It looks great! The movie retains it's charm, humor and wry insight. I think many of the gags could have been improved by allowing them to develop a bit longer but they're still good as is.

Undoubtedly influential and I have no doubt that Steve Martin, Rowan Atkinson and Peter Sellers studied Jacques Tati's Hulot. I found it also a bit reminiscent of Hayao Miyazaki's gentle family films such as My Neighbor Totoro.
April 25, 2014
A nice change from some over embellished films nowadays. Not laugh out loud funny (which I don't think is the point of the film) but definitely charming; it makes you happy.
February 15, 2014
Random and subtle, for slapstick fans only
January 27, 2014
My favourite film of all time.
Page 1 of 23