Murder by Death Reviews

• Sep 12, 2019

Peter Falk is terrific but this one has not aged well at all.

Peter Falk is terrific but this one has not aged well at all.

• Sep 01, 2019

Very,very funny movie, great cast of characters.

Very,very funny movie, great cast of characters.

• Jul 13, 2019

9/10 silly and relentless

9/10 silly and relentless

• Carlos M Super Reviewer
    Apr 10, 2019

With the obvious exception of Truman Capote (who is terrible as an actor), this is a hilarious spoof of detective stories that relies on an astonishing collection of high-class thespians and has an impressive amount of great jokes, even if some of them do miss the mark here and there.

• Feb 02, 2019

The best comedy movie ever made!

The best comedy movie ever made!

• Jan 18, 2019

This movie is about tongue in cheek characters from older murder mystery books. They're informed a crime will take place and one who solves the crime wins the prize. It is a comedy first and crime mystery second. The characters are stereotypes, and the comedy is injected throughout the movie both in your face and subtle curiosities. From character's named like "Willie Wang" for childish humor to another character pushing around a wheelchair with her significantly older "Nurse". The script is full of subtle gems that when you think about it can't possibly be true. A blind butler and deaf & mute maid make some great situational moments along the way. This may not be a movie that will have you laughing every step of the way, but there are some real memorable lines that are comedic gold that can only be experienced. You can't retell what was funny to someone else, so this feels like more of a personal funny moment and that's why this movie is great.

• Sep 12, 2017

A great parody of mystery stories from the early 30's to the 70's. Sadly though while this is it's biggest strength it's also its biggest weakness. Anyone who doesn't know The Thin Man or who Poirot is will be left out of the joke. One joke had Sam Diamond (a parody of Sam Spade from the Maltese Falcon) make a Casablanca reference which stared Humphrey Bogart (the same actor who played Sam Spade). The average person watching this film who didn't grow up in the 80's and/or earlier will have a tough time finding enjoyment out of this one. That's not to say they can't, there's just a price of admission you need to experience before hand. My other complaint about this movie is that it feels short. By the time the mystery starts to get going the movie shoves you out the door and ends. If your a fan of classic mysteries then this is a fun parody for you. SPOILERS: There's also no real mystery in this movie. I understand that's the point but it really feels waisted, and again I get that's the intention. The final monologue by Truman Capote makes that very clear. But after pointing out that it's cheap to pull these cheap tactics and then turn around and pull the same cheap tactics feels disingenuous.

• May 06, 2017

A perfect mix of satire and head-scratching mystery with wit in every phrase. In a world so bent on being politically correct, this film is refreshing in every way.

• Apr 13, 2017

Murder by Death is a clever satire with a very impressive cast, but it's not laugh-out-loud funny. While I found myself smirking at the references and the wordplay, this movie feels like the rough draft of Clue. Plus, I'm disappointed that they sacrificed a satisfying ending for a comedic one. Nevertheless, I'm still glad I saw it.

• Nov 19, 2016

Il film è la parodia dei romanzi gialli (alla Agatha Christie) con una serie di personaggi che ricalcano famosi ispettori. La commedia è un po' sciocchina ma si lascia vedere anche tenuto conto dell'età che ha la pellicola.