My Big Fat Greek Wedding - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

My Big Fat Greek Wedding Reviews

½ March 11, 2017
I lot funnier when you know Greek people.
½ March 1, 2017
God but I wanted to dislike this. But I couldn't.

For all its stereotypes and well-worn plot, it is very well written and full of richly drawn characters. And I laughed quite a lot.
½ February 16, 2017
My "Big Fat Greek Wedding" is an excellent movie for anyone who wants to have a good laugh. It's fun comical outlook lets you take a break from humdrum reality and enjoy the fun fantasy of this chick flick.
The culture clash that takes part in the movie was excellently written and produced, with bits of fun truth about both lifestyles. This film also shows the hilarity of having a family in our present day and how every family has it's weird quirks and mannerisms. The movie is rather clean, except for a part where it hints that two people are being intimate, but nothing is seen by the viewer. A plus to this movie is that it is "Tom Hanks" approved, he and his wife are producers of this big hit!
The movie can be very stereotypical as the two cultures can be very inaccurate, but out of common sense most people know that those situations are not real. (Not to mention that they make the movie WAY better.) Toula Portokalos's (Nia Vardalos) relationship with her family gives everyone a laugh and really pulls you into the movie.
Though John Corbett might not be the best actor for the part of Toula's boyfriend (and husband), but this flaw is the least of the movie's troubles and still lets the viewer have an enjoyable time. "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" is a humorous and uplifting film, making it an excellent choice for anyone's movie night!
February 15, 2017
Burns slow from low budget "maybe a bad movie" into a heartfelt look at the life of any given family, not just a Greek Orthodox one. Has a real humanity to it that many rom-com's can't capture.
½ January 3, 2017
definitely more entertaining that I thought it would be. It's a good take on family accepting someone different.
December 25, 2016
Funny family fun movie. Cheeky
December 17, 2016
So funny. Watched so many times I have parts of it memorized.
½ December 12, 2016
My 'Big Fat Greek Wedding' may or may not have inspired Jersey Shore, but Greeks and Italians alike have quite a bit in common. This family friendly rom-com has enough laughs, mainly from the parents played by Michael Constantine and Lainie Kazan. A lot of stereotypical Greek humor, some one liners that are just flat funny, and the story here is engaging. John Corbett plays himself as he does in everything he's every been in and writer and lead actress Nia Vardalos does her best. She's able to give her supporting cast depth and keeping it just over 90 minutes the film doesn't outlast its welcome. Final Score 6.9/10
December 7, 2016
Toula is a woman living her life in Chicago. Toula's family is Greek, but most importantly, they are very close to each other. Even her aunts and uncles are always around them. Toula's father wants her to finally meet a man. Not just any man, but a nice Greek man. Someone who is like the rest of their family/culture. Toula starts dating a non-Greek named Ian. Her father is very upset and tries to set her up with other Greek men through dinners at his house. Her whole family realizes that she is happy with Ian, so they decide that they need to accept that Ian will soon be a part of the family. When Ian and Toula get married is when the families start to except each other more and they learn to love. At the end, Toula and Ian move in right next door to Toula's parent's home in Chicago. This movie is a great family movie that is filled with good clean fun. This movie shows what families are like in different cultures
October 31, 2016
It's was a good movie
½ October 21, 2016
This movie makes me happy
September 17, 2016
I really enjoyed the original. Not so much the second.
½ September 4, 2016
Harmiton,hauska hömppä, jonka jaksaa katsoa useammankin kerran - ylenpalttisesta kreikkalaisuuden korostamisesta huolimatta. John Corbett on ihku (niinkuin Villissä Pohjolassa ja Sinkkuelämäässäkin).
August 7, 2016
Although I'm not Greek, many of the jokes about the Greeks can apply to other cultures and backgrounds, so you can relate to this movie pretty much no matter who you are. There are so many characters in this movie, which in itself, is one of the jokes, but it feels like you know them all, and to me it's pretty relatable especially if you come from a large family. The comedy is light and very fun, the family is hilarious, and even if you relate to only a portion of the movie, it is an enjoyable time.
July 20, 2016
This movie has some charm, but the caricatured family is exhausting.
July 13, 2016
The story might not be its strongest component, but the actors and a few relatable comedic things/moments stand out.
July 8, 2016
One of the more iconic romantic comedies ever made. Highly recommended.
July 1, 2016
Sweet and charming romantic comedy.
June 25, 2016
A Greek wedding ... well thats big, broken plates, a lot of dancing, and a long ass night right? Wrong theirs a lot more to it here.