My Big Fat Greek Wedding - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

My Big Fat Greek Wedding Reviews

September 3, 2017
Not very realistic but funny.
½ August 5, 2017
Clichè ending , the married couple have no chemistry together leading to their marriage; which makes no sense.
½ July 22, 2017
This movie does have a fair amount of honesty and charm to it. While we may not all be Greek, a lot of us know what it is like to have a bit of crazy sprinkled in their family. This movie is very much worth watching and still holds up after all these years. Good pick for date night.
June 23, 2017
It is a very cute romantic comedy!
June 18, 2017
Thank you Marlo for the reccomendation i finally watched it.
May 13, 2017
Very enjoyable Rom-Com from the early 21st century.
½ May 4, 2017
A charming movie spiced with Greek culture. (First and only full viewing - 9/4/2014)
May 4, 2017
My Big Fat Greek Wedding has some memorable characters, a couple of funny lines and it is sweet and harmless, but it is mostly too over-the-top in its portrayal of Greek people, the film isn't funny or romantic enough and the story is awfully clichéd and predictable.
April 25, 2017
Funny and sweet. Great movie. Well written.
April 22, 2017
Another movie that I can watch again and again.
½ April 3, 2017
Very funny. Could easily have been my big fat Italian wedding. Captured geek hood very well. Bit of a fairy tale, but who cares?
½ March 11, 2017
I lot funnier when you know Greek people.
½ March 1, 2017
God but I wanted to dislike this. But I couldn't.

For all its stereotypes and well-worn plot, it is very well written and full of richly drawn characters. And I laughed quite a lot.
½ February 16, 2017
My "Big Fat Greek Wedding" is an excellent movie for anyone who wants to have a good laugh. It's fun comical outlook lets you take a break from humdrum reality and enjoy the fun fantasy of this chick flick.
The culture clash that takes part in the movie was excellently written and produced, with bits of fun truth about both lifestyles. This film also shows the hilarity of having a family in our present day and how every family has it's weird quirks and mannerisms. The movie is rather clean, except for a part where it hints that two people are being intimate, but nothing is seen by the viewer. A plus to this movie is that it is "Tom Hanks" approved, he and his wife are producers of this big hit!
The movie can be very stereotypical as the two cultures can be very inaccurate, but out of common sense most people know that those situations are not real. (Not to mention that they make the movie WAY better.) Toula Portokalos's (Nia Vardalos) relationship with her family gives everyone a laugh and really pulls you into the movie.
Though John Corbett might not be the best actor for the part of Toula's boyfriend (and husband), but this flaw is the least of the movie's troubles and still lets the viewer have an enjoyable time. "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" is a humorous and uplifting film, making it an excellent choice for anyone's movie night!
February 15, 2017
Burns slow from low budget "maybe a bad movie" into a heartfelt look at the life of any given family, not just a Greek Orthodox one. Has a real humanity to it that many rom-com's can't capture.
½ January 3, 2017
definitely more entertaining that I thought it would be. It's a good take on family accepting someone different.
December 25, 2016
Funny family fun movie. Cheeky
December 17, 2016
So funny. Watched so many times I have parts of it memorized.
½ December 12, 2016
My 'Big Fat Greek Wedding' may or may not have inspired Jersey Shore, but Greeks and Italians alike have quite a bit in common. This family friendly rom-com has enough laughs, mainly from the parents played by Michael Constantine and Lainie Kazan. A lot of stereotypical Greek humor, some one liners that are just flat funny, and the story here is engaging. John Corbett plays himself as he does in everything he's every been in and writer and lead actress Nia Vardalos does her best. She's able to give her supporting cast depth and keeping it just over 90 minutes the film doesn't outlast its welcome. Final Score 6.9/10
December 7, 2016
Toula is a woman living her life in Chicago. Toula's family is Greek, but most importantly, they are very close to each other. Even her aunts and uncles are always around them. Toula's father wants her to finally meet a man. Not just any man, but a nice Greek man. Someone who is like the rest of their family/culture. Toula starts dating a non-Greek named Ian. Her father is very upset and tries to set her up with other Greek men through dinners at his house. Her whole family realizes that she is happy with Ian, so they decide that they need to accept that Ian will soon be a part of the family. When Ian and Toula get married is when the families start to except each other more and they learn to love. At the end, Toula and Ian move in right next door to Toula's parent's home in Chicago. This movie is a great family movie that is filled with good clean fun. This movie shows what families are like in different cultures