My Cousin Vinny - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

My Cousin Vinny Reviews

½ December 6, 2018
For those of you who don't know me, I AM Marisa Tomei in this movie. We all have a cousin Vinny.
½ November 4, 2018
your gullibility towards this sweet tale won't end up..

My Cousin Vinny

Lynn's mockery over the judicial system and the lower mentality of the society works like a charm that sweeps away its runtime in front of your eyes and your gullibility towards this sweet tale won't end up. It is not flat out hilarious. Maybe, because it doesn't try too hard. It is happy in its convenience. And it's that flow that makers doesn't wish to stop and neither do we. Satisfied within its range, this soothing feature endorses your textbook comic sequence with a bit of drama imputed in it that helps it make it more grounded and practical. And giving the script a hand, is the performance that makes it more pragmatic and believable. This hilarious casting is apt for this sort of storyline.

Pesci on the driver's seat has been allotted basically his home ground. This is his forte. Whether then be it to argue without any knowledge or do physical comedy, his range never fails to surprise you. His comic timing is off the roof. But this isn't a one man army war. The story demands a better guide to this protagonist and Tomei is just the actor to portray this character. Her accent, her whining over little things and a vital "witness" to this case, she is a competition to Pesci. Their bittersweet relationship is the trump card of the feature.

The narration though, is mediocre throughout the course. It's that flat line that is off putting. Even the courtroom drama offers you the expected chills and nothing extraordinary. Lynn manages to keep a big smile on your face thoroughly with Launer's simple and sensible script and his decent execution. There are no surprising elements, nothing to be mesmerized about. My Cousin Vinny is just like your cousin, you wouldn't leave your ears off when it has to say something, but you wouldn't miss it too, after the curtain drops.
September 7, 2018
Super funny movie! ??
½ August 27, 2018
"Ridiculous! All this over a can of tuna!"

This movie is HILARIOUS! I haven't laughed this hard in a while.
In the surface, My Cousin Vinny seems to be a small easy-going comedy movie with a fish-out-of-water/mistaken identity story, and that's exactly how should you see it to enjoy it, but that doesn't mean it's just that kind of a movie. This movie doesn't just have some smart jokes, and funny characters, but it's a clever, and kinda profound movie at its core. The way the sub-plots are connected to the character arc of Vinny, and how they reflect his development, and express his feelings, reminded me of the Coen Bros. quite a bit, but, of course, in a much lighter way. The funny misfortunes of Vinny are purely Coen-esque! And of course that means that the movie has a moral, and it's really an impressive, and sorta useful, one. It's a message about changing for better; a message about the indifference and how it's unprofitable, and even harmful.

As I mentioned that it's better to watch the movie as a comedy and nothing else, I did that and I think My Cousin Vinny almost excels on so many levels as a comedy. From the clever jokes, to the comical slap-stick direction style, to the both oddball and reasonable characters, I found myself enjoying every moment in the movie, and laugh constantly throughout its runtime.

Joe Pesci and Marisa Tomei's chemistry is just unparalleled! Needless to say that they delivered some of their best performances in their rich career bringing their already well-composed and well-designed characters to life. Especially Mona Lisa Vito, played by Marisa Tomei that I found she really has some depth that can rarely be found in comedy movies. She's a round character; stubborn, kinda sassy, yet smart and sensitive... and she's cute, too!
Mitchell Whitfield and Ralph Macchio, who played the two young New Yorkers, are also very good; they have a good chemistry as well, and their reactions to the misunderstanding at the beginning are hysterically funny.

The third act that take place in the courtroom is more serious, but that definitely doesn't mean it doesn't contain jokes or lack of humor. In addition to that, it has prepared for it very well. What surprised me is that I found the third act could be the most intriguing part of the movie. Due to the smartness of the script, the dialogue is pretty sharp, the denouement is surprisingly convincing, and the jokes this time is more clever because they rely on the writing and the acting, not the direction. I mean in a large part, obviously.

The dramatic moments at the let-downs, however, seem very forced, and didn't work for me at all. They really could have been balanced with the comical tone of the movie way better than that. The plot could seem a bit familiar, but the content, and many details feel so fresh you almost can't notice this familiarity except when the credits roll.

I want to praise Jonathan Lynn's classic visual style of comedy, but it's better to be seen to be appreciated. Please do yourself a favor, and watch this hidden, underappreciated gem.

(9/10)
½ July 10, 2018
My Cousin Vinny plays to the strengths of its stars, and accomplishes much from its simple concept. The main legal case storyline is satisfying to watch play out, and the rest of the cast glow with charm, but it is Tomei's and Pesci's show. Ultimately this movie is an easygoing good time that is worth the watch.
June 30, 2018
There are a few problems but it has a good heart when all is said and done. Basically. Anyway, it's a feel-good story. Marisa Tomei is adorable. 6.2 out of 10
June 27, 2018
What can I say about Mona Lisa Vito? She is my spirit animal in this movie. Obviously Joe Pesci's performance is on point, but when is it not! But Marissa Tomei, "OH MA GAWD!" One of my favorite things to do, besides eat, is watch movies and impersonate my favorite scenes. My friends always ask me to do Marissa Tomei from My Cousin Vinny, and I immediately revert back to, "Your gonna shoot a deeah..." scene and I nail it every time (drunk or sober). Love her outfits and the white stripe going through her hair!
June 27, 2018
My Cousin Vinny is a hilarious movie with great performances and a solid plot. 4/5 stars
½ June 8, 2018
Classic Joe Pesci, so funny!
March 12, 2018
Honestly the best trial movie
March 10, 2018
This is a pretty ENTERTAINING movie. The first half of the movie I personally don't enjoy it's slow and tries to hard to be funny. Once they start with any of the courtroom scenes though it gets really really good. Joe Pesci is amazing, Marisa tomei is amazing as well, the courtroom scenes are jaw dropping, and the movie is DEFINITELY a movie worth watching if you like these kinds of movies. Once you get past the first half this movie is great.
January 2, 2018
Funny classic about a NY small time lawyer in a hick Southern town. Marisa Tomei as Mona Lisa Vito is wonderful. Rated 85% on RT, but we found it laugh-out-loud funny .
December 10, 2017
Very good fucking movie I'll tell you that!
½ November 20, 2017
Although it is clunky in the beginning and has two defendants so annoying that I'd rather see rotting in a jail cell, the dynamic chemistry between Joe Pesci and Marisa Tomei creates everything that made this film an extremely well-written courtroom drama with smart comedic moments.
October 3, 2017
Hysterical movie; Tomei at her sexiest.
½ August 31, 2017
My Cousin Vinny is a perfect example of an overrated movie.Despite the cast that even can be charismatic, that doesn't disguise the monotonous plot, the unconvincing script and the lack of unpredictability of the movie.
½ August 21, 2017
Good movie, carries by Pesci & Tomei.
August 20, 2017
Favorite movie of all time!
July 24, 2017
Pesci is absolutely fantastic, his comedy timing and delivery of dialogue is next to nothing. The film is a favourite with just how ridiculous stupid and wonderfully naive it proposes itself to be. How Tomei won an Oscar for her role in this film is truly bizarre, I mean she's good but not that good. The film also needs to be cut down, its rather bloated and repetitive.
½ July 6, 2017
Between Joe Pesci and Marisa Tomei's endless chemistry to nonstop visual gags to Herman Munster as a truly terrifying judge, the film works on multiple levels as both a hilarious comedy and a well thought out legal film