My Salinger Year Reviews

• Jun 14, 2021

She's working for S. Weaver at a publishing company in New York and she answers all of JD Salinger's mail. It's one of those smoky, crunch movies where the type-writer sounds and the leather chair noises are as thick as the smoke on Weaver's cig.

• Apr 24, 2021

Sigourney Weaver and Margeret Qually make a thin script worth watching. Smooth production values help make it highly digestible.

• Mar 31, 2021

Based on the autobiographical book by Joanna Rackoff, this film looks at her early career in 90s NYC. She aspired to be a poet, but got a job working for J. D. Salinger's literary agent (Sigourney Weaver, who dominates the film as her imperious boss). Frankly, Joanna's continuous mistakes and borderline incompetence should have gotten her fired, but for some reason she persisted. Rackoff is played by Margaret Qualley, who certainly embodied the flaky, conflicted protagonist. The situations seemed derivitive (Devil Wears Prada, anyone?) and even though there are personal interactions, there's almost no emotional weight for those scenes. Despite the scattered focus of the storyline, there's an earnest enthusiasm to this scrappy tale that some may appreciate.

• Mar 22, 2021

This is a very nice story, with awesome cast.

This is a very nice story, with awesome cast.

• Mar 18, 2021

A good under the radar film that exhibits a healthy does of movie making freedom and exuberance.

• Mar 17, 2021

My Salinger Year is a charming coming of age drama. Margaret Qualley was great, and was definitely my favorite part of the film. Sigourney Weaver also played her part well. The film looked very nice. I liked the set design and the costumes. The story is interesting enough. It isn’t too deep, and doesn’t really leave an impact on you. But you enjoy it while it’s on. Overall, this was fine. It’s one of those movies you put one, watch, enjoy, and then forget about. There are a lot worse ways you can pass time. I definitely think Qualley is very talented, and I can’t wait to see what she does next.

• Mar 11, 2021

There many themes in this movie, some about self-discovery and trust, some about risk-taking and personal growth. Thinking back on several scenes of quick interaction between the main characters, the casting was excellent, the dialog consistently credible and the ongoing tension between characters realistic.

• Mar 07, 2021

I really enjoyed this film.

I really enjoyed this film.

• Mar 07, 2021

That was awful, disjointed story telling. It manages to be simultaneously cheesy and flat. The soundtrack is so bad that it's actually distracting from what little story there is. 100% disappointed.

• Marisol M Super Reviewer
    Mar 05, 2021

Very 'Devil Meets Prada' for literary nerds, but also shines on its own terms. 'My Salinger Year' is briskly paced, charmingly scripted, sprinkled with spunky humor, sports unexpectedly warm, colorful photography (with keen composition), and has breezy performances all around. I'll have no complaints when Margaret Qualley's career takes off; she's endearing (decidedly not phony) and has got the goods to handle a range of roles, you can just feel it watching her. Sigourney Weaver is brilliant with her own spin on the Miranda Priestly prototype; shrewd literary agent Margaret is distinct - strict, but inherently flawed and never beyond reason (her aversion to technology is quite amusing). 'Salinger' is diverting and goes down like a fizzy cocktail.