Mysterious Skin - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Mysterious Skin Reviews

½ October 27, 2016
Holy crap! The first thing that pops into my head when I think of how truly divine this film was. Probably one of the top performances given my Joseph Gordon Levitt. This film captures you entirely and leaves you with a feeling that is quite indescribable. This movie portrays the harsh and cruel reality that most people aren't accustomed to. It really crawls under your skin and brings up the most uncomfortable subjects. Amazing film from Araki in a while. Highly recommend, this film will change the way you see a young man on a street one day.
½ August 5, 2016
Wreszcie jaki? interesuj?cy film o pedofilii.
½ June 27, 2016
really didn't enjoy this deeply disturbing movie and it's content that left a lot of loose ends about the aliens and the pedophiles among family issues.
½ January 18, 2016
Try not to kill yourself while watching this. JGL is great but Brady Corbet's performance is so underrated. Top 5 most psychologically disturbing films and to an extent that's necessary, and I feel they were true to the brutality of the theme without exploiting it for the most part. The violent rape scene is completely unnecessary though.
October 6, 2015
Brilliant acting, terrific directing, and a heart-touching story really make Mysterious Skin one of the greatest movies I've ever seen.
September 20, 2015
Manages to deal with its raw, awful subject matter in ways that are both challenging and illuminating.
½ September 14, 2015
great movie,with excellent performances,I think every parent should watch this,it's just disturbing to know there's guys like the one in the movie out there,molesting and abusing kids,oh,and I'd love for homophobics that compare pedophiles with gay people to watch this and think a little more about what they say...
½ August 31, 2015
Deeply disturbing, but hella powerful.
½ July 21, 2015
JGL shows great diversity in his portrayal of a boy sexually abused early in childhood. Another abused boy interprets his experiences as alien abduction, and that whole part of the plot is brilliantly thought out.
½ June 30, 2015
A provocative coming-of-age film that is both harrowing and challenging to the viewers.
½ June 4, 2015
WARNING: NOT FOR THE EASILY DISTURBED. Joseph Gorden-Levitt is incredible in this unfortunately realistic depiction of the effects of sexual abuse.
½ June 2, 2015
33%
Saw this on 19/12/14
Child molesting, obscene homosexuality involving kids and many more of the American bullshits are idolized for most of the film's duration. Besides, there's no suspense or mystery, anyone with a decent brain can guess the film's mystery 10 minutes into it. Despite the good performances, the film is unbearable and hardly memorable.
May 15, 2015
Gregg Araki's finest moment as a filmmaker arrives in the most surprising way. Based on Scott Heim's powerful novel, this movie is one of the most potent films ever made about sexual abuse. Two children are sexually molested at the same age and the film follow each of these boys into their young adulthood. Gordon-Levitt and Corbet give brutally realistic performances as Araki explores the absolute devastation that childhood sex abuse causes for the victim. This movie is unflinching, graphic and powerful. It is not an easy view, but an important one. This was my pick for best film of 2005. It also gave me some hope that Araki was more than a twisted cinematic prankster. Sadly, he has not even come close to making a film this good again.
½ April 26, 2015
after an uncomfortable opening 20 mins i decided this wasn't for me. binned
½ April 21, 2015
The "twist" is painfully obvious right from the start but the rest of the film is so mesmerising it hardly seems to matter; the cinematography, score, acting and story are all delivered with expertise.
April 20, 2015
Very good movie. I had also read the book. It is unfortunate how the buildup ends in only 5 minutes at the end of the movie.
April 6, 2015
Sensitive and unflinching, a young Joseph Gordon-Levitt is on early peak-form as a victim of the advances of a paedophile and later on becomes a prostitute. Brady Corbet plays a UFO enthusiast and paranoid youngster, also a former victim to the same sex offender. This indie adaptation of Scott Heim's hard-hitting novel is quite brilliant in its approach to tender issues, however the film does fall short at times as the tone is often inconsistent and the film appears plotless at times.
½ March 9, 2015
Probably the best film ever made about child molestation, a moving, funny, and sad film told with heart and edge.
February 9, 2015
way too strong for me!!
February 4, 2015
the heavy subject of the film is portrayed in the best way possible, not excessive amounts but just enough to leave it circling around like a black crow in your mind for days