The Naked Gun 2 1/2: The Smell of Fear - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Naked Gun 2 1/2: The Smell of Fear Reviews

September 27, 2016
Great comedy. I liked the jokes and funny scenes.
½ August 26, 2016
This isn't quite as good as the first, but I still had an awful lot of fun watching it. To enjoy this movie you have to go into it with a certain kind of mindset. If you can handle the genre then you should get a few good laughs out of this!
June 28, 2016
Although it is my least favorite in the series but it still a very funny movie. The best joke is the part with the Doberman. That never gets old.
½ March 25, 2016
Leslie Nielsen is as great as every and this film is almost as funny as the first one.
February 19, 2016
In my opinion the worst of the Naked Gun series, as this one was much more forgettable than the others.
February 15, 2016
This sequel still has lots of laughs! Lt. Drebin (Leslie Nielsen) faces off against big energy company corruption, President George H.W. Bush, and First Lady Barbara Bush. Also he wonders how he can win back lost love Jane (Priscilla Presley). The Bush impersonators are fun for those who lived through the 90s. The supporting cast does a swell job. Zucker, Zucker, and Abrahams keep the gags flying at you non-stop with broad effect. My wife and I watched it Valentine's weekend and the Unchained Melody scene with the pottery wheel had us cracking up until we couldn't breathe.
½ February 9, 2016
i got really entertained by this
January 23, 2016
Not only are the jokes rare and inconsistent, but most of them simply aren't funny. This sequel completely fails, ultimately becoming a very watered down, less funny version of the first.

Full Review: The Naked Gun was an instant classic for the way it always keeps the audience laughing. The gags on the script had promise, but its unfortunately lazy execution causes many of them to fall short, ultimately being the kinds of jokes that you know are funny, they just can't quite make you laugh. It kicked off with a somber tone that didn't match the beneficially light tone of the original, causing much of the character development to feel disheartening and just not all that funny.
December 26, 2015
This series is like crocodile Dundees series the best to worst is 1,3,2
December 16, 2015
Better than the first
December 10, 2015
The second Naked Gun movie was basically more of the same. It never quite matches the comedic magic of the best sequences in the first movie, but it does have a few flashes of comedic gold. I think I was just expecting a little more. I did laugh on and off through the film, but it seemed to be more chuckles rather than big uncontrollable laughter which I get from the first film. I can't really blame it on the plot, because the story is so pointless in spoof movies, really the entire thing lives and dies on the comedy. Let's make it clear that, fans of the first movie should definitely watch this one as well. While I wasn't as impressed, it delivers more fun with the same characters and really wraps up their stories even better than the first movie did. The addition of Robert Goulet as a villainous presence was great, and I also loved Richard Griffiths. Probably the best scenes in the movie are when you get to see Griffiths getting beat up mercilessly by Leslie Nielsen. There's really not much more to say. It's a fine comedy, and one I think will satisfy the fans. However it doesn't have anything startlingly original or interesting to rise above its predecessor. Basically, if you like these movies then watch it, and if you don't then don't.
½ November 22, 2015
I rated this a half of a star because it is by far one of the worst and most unfunny movies I've ever seen in my entire life. In the first Naked Gun movie, there were at least some clever jokes that made me laugh, but in this one, it seems like they just wanted to make some money by writing lazy jokes and a lazy story.
September 24, 2015
A pale comparison to its predecessor, "Naked Gun 2" recycles too heavily from past jokes and plot that makes us wished we watched the first one instead. It basically has nothing to offer. Some jokes are new and fresh, but they get tiring really quick. The whole time I was thinking to myself, "Man, when are they going to tell the good jokes?" They never came.
September 23, 2015
No review last night because I didn't finish watching the movie I started watching the day before yesterday, Down and Out in Beverly Hills, the next review. So, I went back to another of the beloved films of my youth. I already went on this tangent with my last review, how I loved Leslie Nielsen and the Naked Gun trilogy as a child. Sadly, though, this sequel didn't hold up as well as the third one did. Though I would still say that this is a considerably better movie than the third one. I just think that the film is fresher and there's not as much wear and tear from it being the third film in a series that has, literally, been all about the sight gags, the slapstick and silliness. The more you rely on shtick the harder it gets in the long run to maintain a high quality of jokes. If you doubt this, then just look at a series like Family Guy and then get back to me. With that said, however, while the film may not have held up as well as Top Secret, another Zucker/Abraham/Zucker production, it's still a lot of fun to watch. There's a lot of funny gags and a slapstick in the film. Going over them would simply be pointless because there's so many of them and they wouldn't make sense out of context, but, again, if you have any knowledge of the Naked Gun trilogy then you would know pretty much exactly what to expect. I don't think this is bound to be a long review simply because of the fact that I can't go into the actual content of the film itself, there's simply so much stuff thrown out there that this would be the longest review I've ever done if I decided to actually run down the film. And I've written some pretty long and rambling reviews on here, so you can imagine how long it'd be. Anyway, the point is that this is a good film. It's a blast to watch, even if it doesn't hold up as well in the 24 years since its release. Good stuff and I'd still easily recommend it as a Netflix watch.
½ September 11, 2015
At times, the sequel to one of the best comedies ever made reaches the heights of the original, but generally, it falls short of those highs. Not nearly as funny or quotable, the film fails to be as good as its predecessor. However, it is still hilarious and incredibly quotable, which certainly helps matters. Though the plot is pretty dumb, Leslie Nielsen is still the man and the film really works as intended, which is all you can ask. A fun film from beginning to end.
½ August 23, 2015
just as ridiculous as the first
½ August 13, 2015
There are still some hilarious moments to be found here but unfortunately they're few and far between. There's also some ridiculously stupid shit that goes on but for me I feel some of the best gags are the subtle things going on in the background. Robert Goulet as Quentin Hapsburg is also no Ricardo Montalban as Vincent Ludwig. Nowhere near as good as the original but also not as putridly awful as 33 1/3.
July 26, 2015
Just brilliant. So many giggles from start to finish.