The Naked Gun 2 1/2: The Smell of Fear - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Naked Gun 2 1/2: The Smell of Fear Reviews

October 15, 2017
Leslie Nielsen is back as Lt. Frank Drebin and so are writer/producer/directors Zucker, Abrahams, Zucker. This sequel didn't seem as funny as the first, but it's hard not to find Nielsen's deadly serious though thoroughly incompetent police detective hilarious. Peter Sellars did the same thing with Inspector Clouseau, but riffing on jewel heist films instead of Dragnet police procedurals. The plot, not that it really matters, revolves around Drebin's ex-girlfreind Priscilla Presley's new boyfriend Robert Goulet's plot to kidnap a scientist as part of an energy scheme. Nothing brilliant, but you'll chuckle.
August 20, 2017
One of the best parody ever
August 8, 2017
The Naked Gun 2 1/2: The Smell of Fear isn't quite up to the original, but it still has some very funny stuff to offer. I think the problem is that the original was a spoof of the cliche that cop meets girl, cop falls in love with girl, etc. Not that the series can't or shouldn't do something different or go in a different direction, but the original felt more honest and not a continuation, which is where this entry goes. O.J. Simpson is also in this one, but is given less to do. He's more of the fall guy but doesn't really get the laughs for that particular position. In all actuality, this felt more like a third sequel rather than a second. The story seems far in advance, as if there's a chapter of the story that we missing. However, these movies aren't really about the story. It's all about the comedy, which is the usual slapstick mixed with witty dialogue. It's a decent follow-up with some very funny jokes, but it doesn't quite contend with its predecessor.
February 26, 2017
The charismatic Leslie Nielsen is back for one more round of insanely idiotic humour, in this utterly enjoyable second installment of "The Naked Gun".
December 11, 2016
12/10/2016: A pretty decent movie. Plenty of hilariously dumb moments throughout.
November 23, 2016
Meh. This was ok, I liked the first one but found this one quite boring. Is some funny moments though
½ November 18, 2016
The Zucker-Abrahams team nail it with this hilarious sequel that arguably surpasses the original.
September 27, 2016
Great comedy. I liked the jokes and funny scenes.
½ August 26, 2016
This isn't quite as good as the first, but I still had an awful lot of fun watching it. To enjoy this movie you have to go into it with a certain kind of mindset. If you can handle the genre then you should get a few good laughs out of this!
June 28, 2016
Although it is my least favorite in the series but it still a very funny movie. The best joke is the part with the Doberman. That never gets old.
½ March 25, 2016
Leslie Nielsen is as great as every and this film is almost as funny as the first one.
February 19, 2016
In my opinion the worst of the Naked Gun series, as this one was much more forgettable than the others.
February 15, 2016
This sequel still has lots of laughs! Lt. Drebin (Leslie Nielsen) faces off against big energy company corruption, President George H.W. Bush, and First Lady Barbara Bush. Also he wonders how he can win back lost love Jane (Priscilla Presley). The Bush impersonators are fun for those who lived through the 90s. The supporting cast does a swell job. Zucker, Zucker, and Abrahams keep the gags flying at you non-stop with broad effect. My wife and I watched it Valentine's weekend and the Unchained Melody scene with the pottery wheel had us cracking up until we couldn't breathe.
½ February 9, 2016
i got really entertained by this
January 23, 2016
Not only are the jokes rare and inconsistent, but most of them simply aren't funny. This sequel completely fails, ultimately becoming a very watered down, less funny version of the first.

Full Review: The Naked Gun was an instant classic for the way it always keeps the audience laughing. The gags on the script had promise, but its unfortunately lazy execution causes many of them to fall short, ultimately being the kinds of jokes that you know are funny, they just can't quite make you laugh. It kicked off with a somber tone that didn't match the beneficially light tone of the original, causing much of the character development to feel disheartening and just not all that funny.
December 26, 2015
This series is like crocodile Dundees series the best to worst is 1,3,2
December 16, 2015
Better than the first
December 10, 2015
The second Naked Gun movie was basically more of the same. It never quite matches the comedic magic of the best sequences in the first movie, but it does have a few flashes of comedic gold. I think I was just expecting a little more. I did laugh on and off through the film, but it seemed to be more chuckles rather than big uncontrollable laughter which I get from the first film. I can't really blame it on the plot, because the story is so pointless in spoof movies, really the entire thing lives and dies on the comedy. Let's make it clear that, fans of the first movie should definitely watch this one as well. While I wasn't as impressed, it delivers more fun with the same characters and really wraps up their stories even better than the first movie did. The addition of Robert Goulet as a villainous presence was great, and I also loved Richard Griffiths. Probably the best scenes in the movie are when you get to see Griffiths getting beat up mercilessly by Leslie Nielsen. There's really not much more to say. It's a fine comedy, and one I think will satisfy the fans. However it doesn't have anything startlingly original or interesting to rise above its predecessor. Basically, if you like these movies then watch it, and if you don't then don't.