Class Reunion - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Class Reunion Reviews

July 1, 2015
Graduates of Lizzy Borden High reunite after 10 years and are stalked by the victim of a rather cruel (and ultimately tasteless) prank from the Senior Party. Hard to believe that John Hughes wrote this disaster and that Chuck Berry would be relegated as the opening act for the night's festivities. Follow up to National Lampoon's Animal House proved a colossal disappointment.
½ June 15, 2015
early john hughes written film is totally uneven and only slightly funny, a crazed killer goes on a rampage on his alma mater. still interesting to see a future director in his early stages.
April 21, 2014
This was the second film to be released under the title 'National Lampoon's' apparently. Unfortunately it was a bit of a disaster and flopped, this could easily be held down to the fact that 'Animal House' was a smash hit before and this film lacked its cast and punch.

I guess this may have felt like a rehash of 'Animal House' without Belushi. The plot is merely a spoof on slasher horror films, a high school reunion in progress within an old dusty crumbling school is halted when one of the former pupils goes on a murderous rampage. This student being the butt of a practical joke years ago back in high school by his classmates which mentally scared him.

The main issue is there really isn't any murdering going on in the film. There's one kill I think, then the rest of the film is made up of the rest trying to find the killer. The sets and atmosphere aren't that bad I found, it looks like your typical cheesy haunted house affair with dark cobweb ridden corridors and classrooms. The humour is as you would expect from this franchise, its stupid, obvious, predictable and childish, but it serves the spooky quite genre well I suppose.

The cast are all pretty obscure, a few recognisable faces but in general no one that can match Belushi and co. All the characters are rather dull really, nothing very funny about any of them accept for Gerrit Graham's character who is a cowardly pompous stuck up rich boy (stereotyping at its best naturally).

I didn't think this was too bad in all honesty, its still miles better than all the modern equivalents such as the 'Scary Movie' franchise which takes its cue from this I'm sure. Its hammy as hell but lets remember this was made in 81, at that time all these jokes and setups were new. I suppose if you liked 'Clue' then you may like this silly horror comedy, not really much horror though.
February 18, 2014
one of my fav's from child hood
February 4, 2014
National Lampoon's Class Reunion was John Hughes' first writing effort, so I thought I'd check it out even though it was a critically panned one. I didn't plan to like it though.

National Lampoon's Class Reunion has a good feel to it because it takes place within a simple small scale setting and has a consistent comedic feel which comes with its collection of goofy characters which makes the mood of the slasher element lighter.
But when the slasher elements kick inm the film just goes downhill, and the once promising comedic premise is turned into a repetitive series of stale gags with little comedic success. And the slasher elements aren't intense or funny either, so at best National Lampoon's Class Reunion proves to be an ambitious but utterly failed attempt to combine slasher and spoof elements into a single film by John Hughes who clearly had not flourished his writing genius just yet since he forked over a screenplay which melts over the course of the film and falters under the handling of inexperienced director Michael Miller. Have you ever heard of him? Didn't think so. Here is the reason why.
National Lampoon's Class Reunion does show potential for John Hughes but doesn't show him at his best in the slightest, because while few of the jokes will supply laughs in the first part of the film, there isn't nearly enough over the course of the film since all it does is repeat a few basic jokes again and again for 84 minutes which makes it seem significantly longer than it actually is.
Essentially, National Lampoon's Class Reunion is a failure. Its ambitious, it shows John Hughes' potential as a writer and has a few laughs, but overall its just lacking in laughs, thrills or any comprehensive minds that could have been used to combine the elements together into something better instead of what it ended up becoming.
September 18, 2013
Delores Salk (Zane Busby) makes the movie!
½ March 4, 2013
This is one function you'd be better off skipping. A man is out to kill former classmates who perpetrated a mean spirited prank on him ten years earlier. The two pot smoking friends are the most amusing characters but you may need to be high to find the rest funny.
½ January 1, 2013
A horrible movie. Absolutely terrible. Unfunny, not well acted, a very stupid story, who could possibly enjoy such a shockingly bad mess of a movie?!
½ August 2, 2012
Though dimwitted, it's also lively, fun and very funny without relying too heavily on cheap gags. Far better than 'Student Bodies'. I don't get how something like this can be torn apart critically but 'Airplane' is considered a comedy classic.
½ July 6, 2012
a dud that isn't worthy of your time. boring and unfunny, the story just make a lot of sense
½ May 20, 2012
Comedie d'horreur qui ressemblerait a un slasher de serie, CLASS REUNION ne vaut que pour son statut de premier film scenarise par JOHN HUGHES. Torche par un yes man qui ne fera que des telefilms, le film ne vaut que pour son cote nanardisant tres amusant par moment, agacant a d'autres. Vraiment moyen.
April 3, 2012
delores is the best one in it.
September 20, 2011
I have fond memories of staying up and watching this on late night TV in the mid 80's. Written by the late great John Hughs this National Lampoon mess is a genuine guilty pleasure.
April 11, 2011
Airplane meets a high school reunion. Part spoof, part satire, and part funny. There are some witty moments, but also some really bad acting too. It's a mix for me. But overall, it was entertaining. Could have been better.
March 21, 2011
I can only hope my own 10-year high school reunion turns into a horror movie spoof involving a serial killer stalking the halls of our alma mater before a group of us split up and attempt to bring the madman to justice. So here you have a movie that tries, and fails, to mimic the runaway success of the ‚Animal House‚? experience, that few people saw and even fewer people are willing to sing the praises of. And I totally understand that last part: the movie is goofy, entire characters are ignored for extended chunks of time, the less said about the acting, the better (save for the always reliable Gerrit Graham and a duo of stoners who provide the best parts of the flick) and Lord help you when the final 20 minutes start because it seems like it was an exercise in seeing just how further off track into outright embarrassing territory John Hughes was willing to go when he wrote this. But for all of that, there is something undeniably endearing about this movie, and that might have something to do with your own high school experience. Everyone is cast as an effective, broad stereotype (which is probably an oxymoron but roll with me here) so you‚(TM)ll go from the prude to the class nobody, the egomaniacal class president to the class horndog, the girl of every guy‚(TM)s dreams and the girl who became a devil worshipper. Don‚(TM)t think for a second you‚(TM)ll feel emotional attachment when the players start getting offed by one of their own following a class prank that went awry on their graduation night 10 years prior, but you can probably place someone you knew and went to school with in each role. Some jokes grate (the blind and deaf girl‚(TM)s lack of communication), some jokes are beyond cringe-worthy (most anything involving music, including a genuinely absurd rendition of ‚Stop in the Name of Love‚? that you‚(TM)ll swear was lifted from another film) but most are still quotable nearly 30 years onward (at least to me; I could watch the conversation on Carl Jung over and over again). And in a horror/comedy spoof from the 80s, that‚(TM)s really all that matters.
½ January 11, 2011
A mostly stupid comedy/horror movie. It has a couple of funny moments, but overall it's pretty bad.
½ December 10, 2010
A near-perfect romp. Mix Porky's with Clue and set it at an 80s high school reunion. You can't go wrong.
½ December 2, 2010
One of my "Guilty Pleasures", I guess I like this movie for nostalgic reasons (I somehow saw this over and over in the theater when it came out-) as it really is a pretty unremarkable, unapologetic, & unsubtle little turd with sophomoric sensibilities, smutty, college-dork-level humor, broad, cartoony characters, and a meandering plotline. A pretty pointless parody of the Slasher film genre that was so plentiful in the1980's--the only saving grace is the amusing cast of comedians and comic actors that populate the film, especially Zane Busby as the demon-possessed Dolores, rubber-faced Jim Stahl as a kooky vampire, Marya Small as the randy-and-blind Iris, frumpy & grubby Anne Ramsey as the chain-smoking cafeteria-lady,and Barry Diamond and Art Evans as a duo of perpetually-high stoners. Not great, but worth a look.
½ August 4, 2010
Seeing as this movie was written by John Hughes, I expected more from it. An horror comedy isn't really his kind of movie anyway, though. Since it is a national lampoon movie, it is a stupid spoof of slasher movies. There wasn't much humor in the gags, but it is a zany, quirky, raunchy type of comedy, and if you like that, you may find this movie enjoyable for a while at least. Overall, it could have been a lot better.
August 2, 2010
This was a really bad slasher spoof from the National Lampoon name.
Stephen Furst, in his second Lampoon movie, and a few others start getting bumped off at a class reunion.
A few jokes but nothing that stuck with me.