National Velvet - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

National Velvet Reviews

½ July 20, 2016
One of the great classic horse movies--along with The Black Stallion, My Friend Flicka, Seabiscuit, Thunderhead, Hidalgo, and Secretariat. This film is a great family film as well, like other great films of this era--Lassie Come Home and Greyfriars" Bobbie, Watching this movie is a treat I enjoy over and over again. One of my all time favorites.
½ June 8, 2016
Wow - cannot believe Elizabeth Taylor looks so young. Pretty good story - love the father in this film for his comedy relief. The twins were not fans, perhaps the story was a bit too slow...
May 16, 2016
it looks good Netflix us I cant wait when you have this on streaming, :)
½ December 26, 2015
What does it feel like to be in love with a horse?

A girl and a boy grow up together, the boy in love with the girl and the girl in love with horses. When the horse she loves the most is threatened to be lost, she asks her parents to allow her to enter the horse in a national race. The boy reluctantly agrees to train the horse and they may find hope for the horse and love in the process.

"Would you expect them to be both forgiving and generous?"

Clarence Brown, director of The Yearling, Anna Karenina, Intruder in the Dust, When in Rome, Plymouth Adventure, To Please a Lady, and The Rains Came, delivers National Velvet. The storyline for this picture is straightforward but not overly creative. The characters are fun and the acting is solid. The cast includes Elizabeth Taylor, Mickey Rooney, Donald Crisp, Angela Lansbury, Anne Revere, and Reginald Owen.

"All jockeys are the same size."

I recently came across this on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and decided to DVR it since it starred a young Elizabeth Taylor. This was fun to watch unfold, but nothing special overall. I wouldn't go too out of my way to see this unless you are a diehard fan of the classics.

"Greatness is only the seizing of opportunity."

Grade: C
February 9, 2015
I wonder why they no longer make such movies. This story had everything, humour, cast, dialogues, emotions, and above all simplicity. Truly, how faith can overcome anything! Now I know why Elizabeth Taylor was so famous. Mrs. Brown character is wonderful, if I've to remember this movie for anything, that would be her dialogues and learnings. Quite deep and old age wisdom. I thought I am a learned person, but she taught be many things. Mi Brown eventually goes, because until we leave there is no coming back! (as he says). The dialogues of the whole movie are quotable, didn't find the same with other movies. The photography is wonderful, Ireland is beautiful and the movie portrays the beauty well. "The Pie" made me start loving horses, may be one day I own one... I'll remember this movie for long..
½ February 8, 2015
Heart-warming child and horse tale for all ages with a brilliant cast all around. Elizabeth Taylor was never better.
January 27, 2015
Mostly uninteresting melodrama. The race itself was very impressive, but not enough to make up for the rest of the movie.
½ December 6, 2014
Elizabeth Taylor's performance is remarkable as a young ambitious girl dedicated to horses in this timeless sports drama classic.
November 20, 2014
Amazing movie. Such a classic.
November 17, 2014
Feel good family movie that's great for holidays and remains not very dated despite being so old. Movie so old Elizabeth Taylor is a kid and Mickey rooney is unrecognizable he is skinny n young! Elizabeth Taylor is enchanting as the sweet innocent precocious child and it's easy to see how she could turn around a hardened person. The racing scene is intense and well copied. Well acted with a great script. I particularly loved the relationship in the background between mr and mrs brown. It one of those wisdoms type of movies that can be passed down in any age like the lion king.
½ October 7, 2014
Interesting cultural artefact from a time when horses were treated as little more than children's playthings, wind up race things, and dog-meat. Oh hang on, it's still like that today. On the other hand, this film was staggeringly progressive in its feminist "anything a male can do, and pubescent female can do better" angle. That works pretty well, especially in the scenes between Velvet and her Mum, who once swum the English channel and is the true strength of the country house where most of the action is set. Velvet's family is pretty cool, especially the dog and the little boy who carries insects around. He can't really act that much, but is fun. Liz Taylor (just a kid here in the lead role) can't act either, and ISN'T that much fun, she far too "gee-whiz" OTT theatrical by today's standards, and kinda annoying, without much depth. Mickey Rooney is better, sometimes, when he underplays and doesn't try to over emote. Frankly, kids might like this, but it's not much of a film by today's standards, except to see how little we've come in the treatment of animals. But the exterior scenery in this film (it was filmed near Carmel is California, doubling for Sussex) is stunningly lensed, and help make it worthwhile for me. The final shot is sublime, and surely inspired Spielberg to similar stuff in Warhorse.
April 15, 2014
Classic childrens film with enough layers to pique adult interests.
March 2, 2014
I can really not explain it, but I liked this a lot. It had drama, excitement, entertaining humor and lots of feeling in it. Even the fact that it was a lot about horses and stuff did not bother. Well deserved oscars and Liz Taylor, she sure was pretty and sparkly back then already!
February 28, 2014
the release date on this is incorrect - should be 1944
February 26, 2014
year s/b 1944 not 2000 gr8 family actioner
½ January 16, 2014
There is a curiosity in seeing Liz Taylor as a child actor and Mickey Rooney is always a delight but this film is pure kids' play. Nothing terribly memorable.
July 14, 2013
Fantastic. Great cast.
June 9, 2013
The classic feel good film. Though elements of the screenplay haven't dated well, like the near comical emphasis on the young girl's love for horses, National Velvet is a warm tale of friendship and determination as well as famously being the film which launched Elizabeth Taylor's glorious career.
February 27, 2013
Very sweet story, loved it!
½ February 12, 2013
Enjoyable film, but I was expecting something more from the hype this has been given. Elizabeth Taylor showed a little bit of the fire that we see from her in later roles, but a very subdued Mickey Rooney is the real highlight here--along with Donald Crisp and Anne Revere, as Velvet's parents. The storyline was not nearly as interesting (to me) as the portrayals. It seemed like a very run-of-the-mill sport storyline.