Never Look Away Reviews

• Jul 16, 2019

This movie is based on the life of Gerhard Richter, one of the 20th century's most admired visual artists, It takes place in Germany under the Nazi and then the Communist regimes. It's worth the three hour investment.

• Jul 07, 2019

An uncomfortable start developing into an interesting film. Biopic based on the life of the artist Gerhart Richter.

• Jul 03, 2019

Never Look Away is a 2018 German drama film directed by Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck. I enjoyed this 3 hour subtitled movie much more than I expected to. The settings, cinematography and music were all superb, and along with the fine acting and character development, I was totally drawn-in to this epic. It contains a good mix of humour, romance, drama and tension, and the narrative twists were unexpected. D & MC. AANF

• Jul 01, 2019

Never Look Away is an immense achievement. A staggering piece of art that is profound, poignant and important. It's a huge epic film that still manages to place focus on the smaller moments in life. The latest film from German director Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck is set over thirty years of crucial German history. It has many themes and tackles them with supreme intelligence and admirable passion. Essentially the film is the artistic journey of Kurt Barnert but it has layers upon layers of social history to go with it. It begins in 1937 with a young Kurt attending a 'degenerate art' exhibition in Dresden with is aunt. It is the time of Nazi Germany and art is declared degenerate and debased. We follow Tom's growth over the years, covering a lot of ground. There is Nazi rule, the bombing of Dresden, the rule of Communism, the art scene in West Germany. Through it all Tom faces tragedy, falls in love and struggles to find his artistic voice. At the very heart of the film is the struggle of artists to keep their voice in the face of totalitarian rule. It has profound ideas on artistic freedom and also how humanity has tried to suppress those freedoms. It's a highly sensual film that also carries and immense emotional weight. It has the great ability to make you think and feel in equal portions. At three hours it is a lengthy film, but I never for a second was less than captivated by the journey in front of me.

• Jun 26, 2019

extraordinary and unforgettable.

extraordinary and unforgettable.

• Apr 11, 2019

After a three hour drive my friend and I arrived at this very high class mall in Frontenac, MO. Inside of this mall, there was 6 screen theater containing an film lovers dream. (playing Never Look Away, Cold War, Stan & Ollie, etc.) So we got our tickets, went to our seats and thus began a three hour cinematic journey. This film proved to me all the things right with film! It was smart, well written, beautifully acted, well developed characters, etc. There were a few moments where I thought it was nearly over to then find out that there was still an hour or more to go. However the film kept sucking me back in. I think that Shoplifters should win, hands down. This would be a close second for me. However we all know there will only be one winner... Anyway, this film shows how strong foreign film can be! If you get the chance to see it, I can't recommend it enough. (make sure you don't have to go to the bathroom, and your chair is comfortable lol)

• Apr 10, 2019

Torrential but sliding biopic on Gerhard Richter: television matrix studded with catchphrases (about art and so on) and paradoxical nude scenes of eugenic beauty actors. von Donnersmarck reappears obsessed by the memory of a history that instead is not yet at all passed ("Look Who's Back", Wnendt 2015). (Mauro Lanari)

• Apr 08, 2019

Epic film. Inspiration to every artist and lover.

Epic film. Inspiration to every artist and lover.

• Apr 04, 2019

Against seemingly insurmountable obstacles (a three-hour runtime and a very slow pace), Never Look Away is strangely involving almost in its entirety and often even captivating. Thanks to a beautiful score, great performances and an effective meditative feel to it, it's a very moving, strong drama with a striking third act that was all the more powerful because of the very long, but necessary and so well developed set-up.

• Mar 31, 2019