News From Home - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

News From Home Reviews

March 16, 2015
A long, pretentious and tiring film that could have got it's message across in half the time.
October 24, 2014
The MOVIE INFO is not about this film. The reviews are.
December 28, 2013
Chantal Akerman, je t'aime.
November 20, 2011
A beautiful and moving experiment from 1975 by Chantal Akerman. It consists simply of a voice reading (on occasion) letters from Akerman's mother as scenes of New York play in the background. But it's much more: in fact, it's one of the best films about exile, isolation, and being apart from your family that I've ever seen.
Harlequin68
½ May 16, 2011
"News from Home" is an intriguing film made by Chantal Akerman in response to her mother's letters which are read aloud. Instead of replying in words, she replies in images of 1970's New York City to give a sense what her life in the new city is like while reminding those of us living in 2011 what the city of the time looked like. Aside from the occasional job, it would seem to consist of a lot of riding the IRT subway.(Man! Look at all that graffiti.) While Akerman might be in motion, the camera usually remains in place, except for a pan around Times Square Station. And in observing people and places around the city, she dutifully avoids the tourist sites until the final shot, probably from the Staten Island Ferry.
½ December 8, 2010
I understand what it's going for, but it's just BORING.
January 28, 2010
Another simple but brilliant motion picture from Chantal Akerman, NEWS FROM HOME shows us the underbelly of New York City in a series of long, simple shots of streets and subways on a cloudy day while we hear Akerman's voice reading letters from her mother. Haunting and memorable, NEWS FROM HOME is a masterpiece.
½ December 27, 2008
La fascination alliee a la deception de New York par Akerman, sur fond de lettres de la maman restee au plat pays, perso ca me laisse de marbre. Cela se veut contemplatif, je trouve cela extremement pompeux. Quelques bonnes idees cependant (le plan-sequence final) mais un ensemble bien trop nombriliste pour reellement me convaincre.