Nickelodeon - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Nickelodeon Reviews

July 20, 2015
I guess I'm easily amused, but I thought it was a fun little darling of a movie. I loved the fight scene between Ryan and Burt, so dang funny! A lot of hidden truths in there. Appealed to my sentimentalism.
June 7, 2014
A fun film to relax.
February 15, 2014
The bw directors cut mixes humor and pathos far superior to the bastardized color theatrical edition.
½ November 18, 2013
Suffering from the same smarmy writing as 'At Long Last Love', Bogdanovich's tribute to the beginnings of cinema is short on laughs or charm. Though the Neals, Reynolds, Keith and a cast of capables try, and there is a surprising amount of detail for a lower budget production, 'Nickelodeon' is simply short on laughs, most hurt by throwaway wordplay or tame, lackluster slapstick, not to mention wears what nostalgic charm it has thin very quickly, compounded further by it not going into any real detail on the beginnings & battles of early film making outside of a stale, uninteresting good guys/bad guys approach.
May 1, 2013
This film plays like an early skrewball comedy, or more acurately, a sound version of the Buster Keaton/Charlie Chaplin two reelers from the late teens. There are plenty of great performances that carry the film but it can't get beyond the slightness of the script. Still, I enjoyed it!
½ November 28, 2012
I seen this movie when I was 10. The history alone makes it a good movie you wont forget. But like some movies watch it one time.
November 8, 2012
An interesting slapstick look at the birth of film with Nickelodeon's and the crazy people behind them.

Being a respected critic before stepping into a director's role he really added a lot of fact to this film & although seemingly chaotic this is how these films where made.

Ryan O'Neal got the job done in this film but doesn't do much for me as an actor, I enjoyed this film since I am a film buff may not be for everyone.
July 28, 2011
Leo Harrigan (Ryan O´Neal), a young attorney and not very good at it, bumps one day into the renegade movie producer H.H Cobb (Brian Keith) and before he knows it he has been asked to write scripts for Cobb. Eventually he is sent to a small desert town to take over a group of silent movie makers as a director. The Motion Picture Patents Co. doesn´t allow this sort of filmmaking, so they send the cowboy/con artist Buck Greenway (Burt Reynolds) to sabotage Harrigan´s and Cobb´s shoot...

I have browsed the "Nickelodeon" title several times, but never seen it. Judging from what I have red about this movie, I felt it was about time I saw it. How could you fail with O´Neal and Reynolds in the lead and with Peter Bogdanovich behind the camera? Well.. fail they did. I knew from scene one that this was going to bomb. A slapstick comedy without the comedy is more or less the correct description of "Nickelodeon". Or the comedy is trying to be so in phase with the 1920´s slapstick filmaking it´s just becomes over the top. It fails in so many ways, I can´t be bothered to bring all of them up. O´Neal does the same kind of jittery nervous character we have seen before, Reynolds seems to not know what he is doing on the set and Bogdanovich must have written the script with no insight into what he was writing. This is not working in my book.
April 3, 2011
Much funnier in the first half (more absurd and comic-talented) than the second (that concentrates in some not so interesting aspects, and its script becomes more difuse), but in summary, enjoyable comedy.
January 3, 2011
I caught the ending of this movie on TV, I'd been wanting to see it for some time, and I liked it, but I really want to see the rest of the movie.
July 29, 2010
A lost gem of the mid-1970s. A wonderful tribute to the early days of cinema... a wonderful tribute to all of cinema.
June 24, 2010
Peter Bogdanovich's love letter to the early days of the movies is unevenly paced and perhaps too self-conscious, but multiple viewings reveal a richer character story beneath the homages. Make an effort to see the black & white director's cut - while it's still far from perfect, that simple change (along with four additional minutes) does make a world of difference.
April 8, 2010
Peter Bogdanovich tries to capture the early days of silent filmmaking with Ryan O'Neal and Burt Reynolds. Despite the fact it was a tremendous flop in its day, the movie is pretty enjoyable and well made, although Bogdanovich's choice in using some silent film like slapstick in the regular story is a bit too much. The normally reliable Brian Keith is way over the top. The DVD has theatrical version (Color) and Director's Cut (B&W). I opted for the latter. In the commentary Bogdanovich says he wanted a younger cast, John Ritter and Jeff Bridges. The studio wanted heavyweights.
November 7, 2009
One of Bogdanovich's lesser films, but still one of my favorites. A tribute to the pioneers of cinema.
LittleMissBloodAndGuts
½ October 13, 2009
Griffin's first and last film. He had talent and looks and gives a great performance, in this offbeat, magical film. Unfortunately, getting stoned and drunk and then decapitating Coppola's son in a speed boat crash is a sure career killer.
½ September 10, 2009
Bogdanovich's raucous, loving tribute to the infancy of the cinema, fittingly released in 1976 as the film industry changed yet again.
½ September 7, 2009
Could have been a great film, ended up being a mess.
September 6, 2009
A goofy film about filming silent films. I love how they keep referencing real directors from this age (like D. W. Griffith). Definitely has its funny moments, which are well spaced out to make it an overall funny movie.
September 6, 2009
a knock off or copy of the far superior "Paper Moon" skip this see that
½ June 30, 2009
A wonderful, romantic homage to the early days of film making.

Go and rent/buy the Nickelodeon / Last Picture Show double disc directors cut.