Nickelodeon Reviews

• Jul 20, 2015

I guess I'm easily amused, but I thought it was a fun little darling of a movie. I loved the fight scene between Ryan and Burt, so dang funny! A lot of hidden truths in there. Appealed to my sentimentalism.

• Feb 15, 2014

The bw directors cut mixes humor and pathos far superior to the bastardized color theatrical edition.

• Nov 18, 2013

Suffering from the same smarmy writing as 'At Long Last Love', Bogdanovich's tribute to the beginnings of cinema is short on laughs or charm. Though the Neals, Reynolds, Keith and a cast of capables try, and there is a surprising amount of detail for a lower budget production, 'Nickelodeon' is simply short on laughs, most hurt by throwaway wordplay or tame, lackluster slapstick, not to mention wears what nostalgic charm it has thin very quickly, compounded further by it not going into any real detail on the beginnings & battles of early film making outside of a stale, uninteresting good guys/bad guys approach.

• May 01, 2013

This film plays like an early skrewball comedy, or more acurately, a sound version of the Buster Keaton/Charlie Chaplin two reelers from the late teens. There are plenty of great performances that carry the film but it can't get beyond the slightness of the script. Still, I enjoyed it!

• Nov 28, 2012

I seen this movie when I was 10. The history alone makes it a good movie you wont forget. But like some movies watch it one time.

• Oct 18, 2012

An interesting slapstick look at the birth of film with Nickelodeon's and the crazy people behind them. Being a respected critic before stepping into a director's role he really added a lot of fact to this film & although seemingly chaotic this is how these films where made. Ryan O'Neal got the job done in this film but doesn't do much for me as an actor, I enjoyed this film since I am a film buff may not be for everyone.

• Jul 28, 2011

Leo Harrigan (Ryan O´Neal), a young attorney and not very good at it, bumps one day into the renegade movie producer H.H Cobb (Brian Keith) and before he knows it he has been asked to write scripts for Cobb. Eventually he is sent to a small desert town to take over a group of silent movie makers as a director. The Motion Picture Patents Co. doesn´t allow this sort of filmmaking, so they send the cowboy/con artist Buck Greenway (Burt Reynolds) to sabotage Harrigan´s and Cobb´s shoot... I have browsed the "Nickelodeon" title several times, but never seen it. Judging from what I have red about this movie, I felt it was about time I saw it. How could you fail with O´Neal and Reynolds in the lead and with Peter Bogdanovich behind the camera? Well.. fail they did. I knew from scene one that this was going to bomb. A slapstick comedy without the comedy is more or less the correct description of "Nickelodeon". Or the comedy is trying to be so in phase with the 1920´s slapstick filmaking it´s just becomes over the top. It fails in so many ways, I can´t be bothered to bring all of them up. O´Neal does the same kind of jittery nervous character we have seen before, Reynolds seems to not know what he is doing on the set and Bogdanovich must have written the script with no insight into what he was writing. This is not working in my book.

• Apr 03, 2011

Much funnier in the first half (more absurd and comic-talented) than the second (that concentrates in some not so interesting aspects, and its script becomes more difuse), but in summary, enjoyable comedy.

• Oct 25, 2010

A fun film to relax.

A fun film to relax.

• Aj V Super Reviewer
    Sep 06, 2010

I caught the ending of this movie on TV, I'd been wanting to see it for some time, and I liked it, but I really want to see the rest of the movie.