Night at the Museum - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Night at the Museum Reviews

½ July 22, 2017
Night At The Museum is a film I loved as a non-judgemental 8 year old in 2006, though it doesn't hold up quite as well watching with a critical eye! Night At The Museum has an unwavering sense of fun and adventure, mixed into a very relatable situation for families (the target audience). The acting in Night At The Museum is also pretty good. Doesn't take itself too seriously; the film prioritises entertainment over substance. The slapstick comedy in Night At The Museum caters more to kids than adults. Dysfunctional family situation wasn't developed enough for me. The jokes are hit and miss and there was potential for more challenging themes to be explored - the best family films balance fun with depth.
½ July 13, 2017
An interesting premise put to great use, Night at the Museum never lets up on the humor, redeeming it's otherwise overcrowded CGI canvas.
July 1, 2017
Not really my cup of tea to be honest - not greatly into American comedies or kids films, nor do I like museums that much. Taking all that into account, I could appreciate the storyline here, the special effects, and the fact that it would play on every kids fantasy, and possibly encourage them to frequent such venues more for educational purposes. Dinosaurs coming to life, monkeys running wild, and good old cowboy and Indian rivalries are apparent here, but only when the museum closes. It's then Ben Stillers job to keep them safe and happy indoors, otherwise they'll turn to dust when the sun rises. Of course, being the inquisitive and bumbling fool he is, this is a harder task for him than most others, especially when the previous security personnel are out to sabotage his role for their own financial gain. I guess it's a bit like toy story, only involving adults and more mature toys this time. I don't think it's really a girls film in my eyes either as there's not many Care Bears, Barbies, or My Little Ponies let loose, perhaps something they'll consider for the sequel (if we're lucky) :) All in all, a pleasant and successful film, but this product doesn't have the artefacts to float my boat I'm afraid!
½ June 26, 2017
I can see why this movie got mixed reviews, but ever since I saw this in theaters have I enjoyed this for its fun visuals and idea.
½ June 2, 2017
great fun I love the villain
June 1, 2017
Fantastically inventive, fairly predictable, full of laughs, Night at the Museum is fun.
May 13, 2017
Although Night at The Museum may not be brilliant, nor re-watchable. Its a fun, star-studded flick to watch when you have the time to. From the help of its cast. (Ben Stiller, Robin Williams, Ricky Gervais, Owen Wilson, Paul Rudd etc.) As well as some of its humor. The downside is a portion of the humor is potty humor, or mild slapstick. More downside comes from after you watch it you might think i might watch this again when i'm bored and that's not the best thing to think after watching a movie. While basically its just a lazy afternoon movie to watch when your bored, or tired. Multiple cliches such as SPOILER SPOILER we think its a good guy but hes gone bad and the "can't catch me" annoying character. This movie did however, had a fun yet dumb premise. Things coming alive at night is a bit concerning. What if they break free and might cause havoc do the authorizes know? But I mean a skeleton Dinosaur that is pretty cool. But, overall away from the cliches and forgettable plot. Its a fun filled, entertaining, afternoon movie you could watch.3 stars 69%
May 1, 2017
Ok so it's the first movie but I like the sequels more because it just gets right down to business. But in this one it starts out with an introduction of who the characters are what should I get that but I like the sequels more
April 27, 2017
This was indeed a very fun, unique & awe-striking experience.
The animations were ok, the directing was great by Shawn Levy & the visual effects were amazing.
I absolutely loved this movie! Partially because this is a very family friendly film.
½ April 22, 2017
Enjoyable if mindless fun
March 20, 2017
I wasn't a huge fan.
March 20, 2017
Very un-funny comedy with some good ideas that have been poorly executed. Random and pointless storyline involving the brilliant Dick van Dyke as an evil ex-security guard that doesn't really go anywhere. Ben Stiller is extremely annoying and he has a terrible habit of bursting into hyper-active fits whenever he tries to be funny. Ricky Gervais is worse. I don't know why people find him funny and I'm sure the Americans with their lust for loud slapstick/toilet humour will not know what to make of him. His method seems to be to forget the script and attempt to ad-lib, but in very tiresome fashion. Scenes are overly long and drawn out. The only decent scenes involve cameo's from Steve Coogan and Owen Wilson as a bickering Roman General and Cowboy (respectively). This is a very lacklustre film that never really gets going in all of it's 90minute run time.
January 27, 2017
A great family friendly film that combines humor with action seamlessly. Highly recommend
½ January 16, 2017
Though Night at the Museum may not quite make the most out of its admittedly interesting premise, the performances of its cast with Robin Williams and an uncredited Owen Wilson managing to steal the show during their screen time and its charm as it focuses on a father wanting to be a hero in his son's eyes help elevate the film above its occasionally cheesy humour.
½ January 8, 2017
Blah Jumanji knock-off that's hardly funny, save for odd bits here and there.
½ January 3, 2017
It's good movie to watch
November 6, 2016
A cute little movie with a fun premise and the deadpan charm of Ben Stiller.
September 14, 2016
Tons of fun. It's hilarious
August 29, 2016
An entertaining family film, although would not watch twice.
½ August 27, 2016